This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
1 month ago#11
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?
although try madvr first on your current setup if it can run since I can run 4k movies on my old laptop with worse specs than yours

madvr? i do a google and it looks like a codec of some sort? its not supported by the media player i use though.

if my system could support 4k how would i go about enabling that as my screen resolution? when i go to the nvidea control panel, or windows screen resolution it only goes up to 1080

MadVR is a renderer. Can be used together with players like MPC

Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?
although try madvr first on your current setup if it can run since I can run 4k movies on my old laptop with worse specs than yours

if my system could support 4k how would i go about enabling that as my screen resolution? when i go to the nvidea control panel, or windows screen resolution it only goes up to 1080

maybe your display doesnt support 4k?
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
1 month ago#12
Cruzader619 posted...
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

madvr? i do a google and it looks like a codec of some sort? its not supported by the media player i use though.

Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

it definately supports 4k, most of the time i have to move my 4k videos to an external drive then plug it into the display via usb.

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
1 month ago#13
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

it definately supports 4k, most of the time i have to move my 4k videos to an external drive then plug it into the display via usb.

Are you using an AVR? Or is the PC connected directly to the TV?
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

Mushroom87
1 month ago#14
Cruzader619 posted...
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

Mushroom87 posted...
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?

Are you using an AVR? Or is the PC connected directly to the TV?

connected directly to the tv.

and now im in a weird situation, i downloaded the amd drivers for my onboard video, and everything became small, like my screen was inside of a box.

so i tinkered with the settings and adjusted the overscan/scaling options to make it fit my screen, and when i clicked apply everything became really dark and muddy on the screen, when i click default nothing happens, and after uninstalling the drivers im stuck with a muddy dark screen.

restart after the uninstal and now my computer wont detect my second monitor, or my graphics card, this is weird. now my nvidea control panel refuses to open.

User Info: Pineapple5

Pineapple5
1 month ago#15
zhenghan posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Yes, you can just get a new graphics card. It's even required for 4k Netflix no matter what CPU you have (unless you'd happen to have a Kaby Lake CPU and use IGP).
GT 1030 will do.
Netflix 4k though requires a GTX 1050 or greater with 3GB VRAM.

The FX 6300 by itself should play 4k movies just fine though.

Do you already have your PC connected to a 4k monitor? Nvidia's specs say the GT 610 supports 1440p. Try another cable, check if it says high speed ethernet or something like that.

Why the 3gb vram requirement for 4k playback?

Good question, especially considering smart TVs can play 4k Netflix just fine.

Mushroom87
1 month ago#16
so, after installing the amd drivers for my onboard video, then unninstalling them, then uninstalling the nvidea drivers for my video card, and then reinstalling the drivers for my video card everything seems to be back to normal.

im just going to leave everything as it is until i build a new system.

EDIT: aaaaand i couldnt leave well enough alone, i wanted device manager to reflect what kind of onboard video i have, and after installing/uninstalling/installing/uninstalling, etc. i have it worked out.

User Info: respa

respa
1 month ago#17
Presently I am enjoying 4k Movies on my Lenovo Laptop with terrarium tv app which i had downloaded from https://terrariumtvforpc.com/ .Present I don't know another way to stream latest movies

Mushroom87
1 month ago#18
respa posted...
Presently I am enjoying 4k Movies on my Lenovo Laptop with terrarium tv app which i had downloaded from https://terrariumtvforpc.com/ .Present I don't know another way to stream latest movies

vudu has some UHD films, not quite 4k, but close enough.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
1 month ago#19
Buy a 4k tv with netflix. Itll look better and be much cheaper
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

Mushroom87
1 month ago#20
Jonbazookaboz posted...
Buy a 4k tv with netflix. Itll look better and be much cheaper

my tv has netflix, but i have this weird ocd thing, my computer has to be able to do 4k if its going to be connected to my 4k display.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived