This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

User Info: tearast

tearast
1 month ago#51
arleas posted...
LazyyAmerican posted...
work hard to get to the top

The problem is as you're climbing the ladder, the people ahead of you are kicking you in the head to keep you from climbing.

Yea, it's called competition. It's a free market. This isn't commieland.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
1 month ago#52
captsplatter_1 posted...
Google is kind of abandoning fiber, they are going for satellites now. Ya a lot of times you can't just switch ISPs.

Yeah, that's a damn shame. I've been on Google Fiber since May, and it completely trounces the hell out of what the other two available ISP's (Comcast and AT&T) offer in terms of price/bandwith ratio.

arleas posted...
I could switch but it's always the lesser of two evils here. If you want cable, there's only one choice...AT&T U-Verse is probably way worse and costs way more (and they want to sell TV anyway).

As I mentioned above, the only two other providers in my area are Comcast and AT&T.

Before having Google Fiber, I had AT&T for the previous eight years. I originally went with AT&T (over Comcast, Google wasn't available yet) simply because their internet service was slightly better, otherwise they were pretty much similar.

Over those eight years, I saw the quality of service (as a whole, not only internet) completely nosedive, while all costs rose to stupid high amounts (and that was with the Uverse package, the "most cost effective" package deal for service).

I don't use Google's television service, but for internet service, I get roughly three times the speed at the same price point as AT&T, with no data cap.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
1 month ago#53
@johnny_pay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
read the entirety of the thread and drop the kneejerk s***. The message could literally be changed to "Hey, dumbass, check your email once in a century" and still be doing the same thing.

It's still a s***ty and intrusive thing to do all because they may have ignored a couple emails from them. Their reasons don't make it acceptable to inject code into someone's web browsing.

Don't bother, @Orestes417 is a troll and a corporate bootlicker.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room. Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#ImpeachTrump

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#54
Orestes417 posted...
I don't really give a f*** if you agree that it's fine or not. That's the part you seem confused by. Your agreement or disagreement is inconsequential.

The capability IS documented, Comcast are as far as I'm aware under no obligation to explicitly lay that out to every customer, and it is in fact fine. Your opinions on the matter are as irrelevant as your opinion on gravity. Now if you'd like to present some evidence of a law being broken, by all means do so.

Woah, calm your t***. You seem awfully defensive over this...do you own substantial stock in Comcast or something? Does your family all work for them? I don't understand why you're getting all pissy over somebody objecting to these kind of ISP pop-ups.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#55
arleas posted...
The problem is as you're climbing the ladder, the people ahead of you are kicking you in the head to keep you from climbing.

In the case of the major ISPs, it's more like they have a trio of bouncers standing at the bottom of the ladder waiting to toss anybody who tries to even get near it into the gutter.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#56
JKatarn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I don't really give a f*** if you agree that it's fine or not. That's the part you seem confused by. Your agreement or disagreement is inconsequential.

The capability IS documented, Comcast are as far as I'm aware under no obligation to explicitly lay that out to every customer, and it is in fact fine. Your opinions on the matter are as irrelevant as your opinion on gravity. Now if you'd like to present some evidence of a law being broken, by all means do so.

Woah, calm your t***. You seem awfully defensive over this...do you own substantial stock in Comcast or something? Does your family all work for them? I don't understand why you're getting all pissy over somebody objecting to these kind of ISP pop-ups.

It's more annoyance at people trying to argue points that and standards that are only relevant inside their heads.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#57
JKatarn posted...
You seem awfully defensive over this.

I don't really get it either. The way I see it, the ISP is just there to deliver content, not to monkey with it. Plus you combine that with the upcoming repeal of the Net Neutrality rules and some people may see it as a sign of bigger things to come.

You go to watch youtube and Comcast pops up a big "You should be using https://www.watchable.com/" instead! See how slow youtube is?" (starts throttling). All I know is I thank God that I'm not in a Comcast service area. I don't want to have to wait and see just how bad it can get before someone steps in to intervene (if they do at all).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Orestes417
1 month ago#58
And there you go with the slippery slope that makes it incredibly hard to take you seriously. When they start doing mass advertisements instead of targeted service notifications specifically relevant to customer accounts you can start with the righteous outrage. Until then, maybe dial it back to quibbling over implementation.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#59
Orestes417 posted...
When they start doing mass advertisements

I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. Depends on how ballsy they feel after Net neutrality is gutted.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Orestes417
1 month ago#60
And I'm sure the clueless masses will find something else to be goaded into outrage about. And it'll be just as cringey next time as it is this time.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived