This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are ethernet cables overpriced at retail stores?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are ethernet cables overpriced at retail stores?

User Info: iPr0kkaFTW

iPr0kkaFTW
1 month ago#1
Went to Walmart, Office Max, Best Buy and Target and all of the ethernet cables were priced expensively. Needed a 50ft cable and they're priced over $35 to $50.

Bought one at Amazon for $10 along with a 15ft one that was $5. Needed the cables for my Steam Link.

User Info: ssringo

ssringo
1 month ago#2
- Because people don't know any better and buy them.

- Because people need one right then and not a day/several days later.
Hi

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#3
ssringo posted...

This plus they make small profit margins on many things so price gouge on accessories.

User Info: NeoSioType

NeoSioType
1 month ago#4
...I made them myself in high school with a tool called a crimper. Easiest thing ever.

Well, buying a long one online is even easier.

HDMI are overpriced too but they're probably cheaper in non-electronic stores.

Premium cables usually have better build quality though that's not usually an issue unless you're moving them around a lot.

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#5
Voxwik posted...
ssringo posted...

This plus they make small profit margins on many things so price gouge on accessories.

This is true on many many things. I sell flooring and I have to sell hardwood dirt cheap to compete with the box stores, but the transitions in doorways can sell for $80 each. Any that's not just me marking it up. They are expensive from the supplier too. I think each stage of distribution makes their money on accessories.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#6
A place like Best Buy only has so much room per store to stock ethernet cable. If they're using up storeroom space for an item that yields low profit, and really low revenue due to it not being a hot item, they're going to gouge it. Compared to a place like Monoprice they're expensive because Monoprice can dedicate entire warehouses just for ethernet cables. Same reasons Costco is so much cheaper than other markets.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
1 month ago#7
Don't worry, only a couple more decades and retail will be entirely eliminated

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#8
Voxwik posted...
ssringo posted...

Plus if you buy a 200foot box from eBay you get a crimper for free it takes like less then 1 min. To make a cable.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
1 month ago#9
You pay extra for having not to order it. A tax per se. Or Get a crimper and buy some cheap cable from Home Depot.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#10
mucloud posted...
Voxwik posted...
ssringo posted...

Plus if you buy a 200foot box from eBay you get a crimper for free it takes like less then 1 min. To make a cable.

You timed yourself?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are ethernet cables overpriced at retail stores?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived