This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 10 update broke my graphics driver. AMD no longer offers updates for it.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 update broke my graphics driver. AMD no longer offers updates for it.

User Info: DarkKirby2500

DarkKirby2500
4 weeks ago#1
I have this old computer that is basically just for office work and internet browsing.

It has an ATI Radeon 3000 Series Driver.

A recent Windows 10 update broke the graphics driver and now my PC can't display in 1080p (the option is gone from the Display Settings), it instead scales at a lower resolution and stretches and distorts to fit the screen.

I previously fixed the issue by rolling back the graphics driver, which worked for some reason, then another Windows 10 update happened a few weeks later and broke it again, and now there isn't an option update or roll back the driver.

I went to AMD's website to try and download a new driver but they stopped offering updates for it years ago, even if you try to install the older driver for Windows 8 it won't install because AMD's program says it's not compatible.

Is there any way to fix this short of just buying a new graphics card? I don't need this PC to be able to play games, as I said it's just used for office work and internet browsing, but it at least needs to be able to display correctly on its 1080p screen for that.

If I do need to buy a new graphics card, what's the cheapest one you can possibly buy? This computer is already pretty old, if the new graphics card costs too much money it may not be worth even fixing this computer over just buying a new cheap computer. Like I said, I'm not looking for it to be able to run games, just be able to actually display in 1080p again.
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. They're all complacent sheeple. Passion fights, but reason wins.

User Info: DerPancake

DerPancake
4 weeks ago#2
https://community.amd.com/thread/184967

Try this, I know it says Radeon 4000 but it could work for you.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#3
Try installing the Win7 Legacy driver via the device manager

If you're prepared to buy used, there's plenty of cheap graphics cards available. Geforce 400 series, HD 7000 series and later have ongoing driver support.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
4 weeks ago#4
If your motherboard has a PCI slot (some older boards had AGP instead) then I'd recommend the GT 710, a 2014 card but requires almost no power to run, which means so long as you have the PCI slot, it should work no matter what the rest if your system has, and it shouldn't be obsolete for a few years at least.

I tried to link to one of them, but the Amazon link was too long. Still, just typing in "GT 710" will show quite a few options in terms of brands. $30-35 USD is the price range.

AGP slots would be harder to find a graphics card for since I don't think it's used anymore, but Ebay would still have some if Amazon doesn't.

Edit: I had a look for an AMD card but couldn't find a decent one in that price range.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#5
some people don't get this, but there is no point of upgrading an ancient computer to the latest OS, it just creates issues
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#6
Those old cards. Grab the driver download. Extract the files into a folder. Find the .inf file and right click and choose install.
Go to device manager and find your video card. Choose to update the driver, from file. Navigate to the folder you downloaded, it should find the driver. Choose install. Ignore complaints.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: DarkKirby2500

DarkKirby2500
4 weeks ago#7
DerPancake posted...
https://community.amd.com/thread/184967

Try this, I know it says Radeon 4000 but it could work for you.

I actually already did try this, I followed it step by step but when I get to this part...

In this folder there will be multiple folders with long names, look for the one with a folder inside named "0000", there will be a ton of other settings, on the right, once you find the right one.

Next right click the "0000" folder and click "Find", search for the resolution you are using, in my case it was 1920x1080.

I don't get any results on the right, like in the instructions, all I see is a file named "Default" and another named "TSCompatible". When I do the "find" command with 1920x1080 I get results, but none of them are highlighted, and they're named things like "MaxPos" and "WinPos" which I think may be positioning, not the "DALR6 DFPI" like in the instructions.

godplaysSNES posted...
Try installing the Win7 Legacy driver via the device manager

SinisterSlay posted...
Those old cards. Grab the driver download. Extract the files into a folder. Find the .inf file and right click and choose install.Go to device manager and find your video card. Choose to update the driver, from file. Navigate to the folder you downloaded, it should find the driver. Choose install. Ignore complaints.

How do you do this?

The AMD page with the drivers...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%208%20-%2064

Doesn't actually give you the driver file, you get a program that installs the AMD Catalyst Control Center that's supposed to install the driver for you, but that program won't run after being installed because it says there is nothing compatible on my computer.
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. They're all complacent sheeple. Passion fights, but reason wins.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#8
the installer should unpack to a folder with the dll and inf files. in device manager choose to install a different driver then choose your own then have disk and then point it to the folder with the inf file you want to force installed.
I'll... shave that cat.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 update broke my graphics driver. AMD no longer offers updates for it.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived