This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is LinusTechTips A Reliable Source For Good PC News/Information?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is LinusTechTips A Reliable Source For Good PC News/Information?

User Info: DumbQuestion

DumbQuestion
1 month ago#1
heard people say that the channel is decent, while critics complain about the videos feeling like giant ads

What do you think?

User Info: Madmicky933

Madmicky933
1 month ago#2
Been watching him since his NCIX days. It's one of the best tech channels there are on the internet in general if you ask me. They know their stuff, have great personality, and they are very informative on a broad range of topics. They're funny as well!
Karma... Is a powerful force..

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
1 month ago#3
they sometimes get s*** incredibly wrong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIH3wg7yqnw) but in general they're good

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
1 month ago#4
His videos definitely can feel like ads sometimes, but he does also usually admit when a video is outright an ad (i.e. he'll say "This product was sent to us by Intel to talk about how great it is" or something like that at the start). The videos are amusing and he and his friends are easy to listen to, and most of the time his information is pretty accurate. The videos are usually timely, and sometimes they release fun videos about not-strictly-computer-related tech. They had a review a couple days ago about cellphone cameras that I thought was neat, for example.

He does subscribe a bit to the meme-heavy culture of YouTube, but he runs a company, a company that spends a lot of money on new technology. They had a video about this a while ago where they talk about how they're trying to game the algorithm because they want to make money. It's annoying, but at least they openly admit it.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#5
If you want news yes and try tomshardware
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
1 month ago#6
I'd say its a good place for information, news, and entertainment, but a lot of the things I've seen them do are seriously overblown and over the top. I mean, I recall recently watching a DIY old PC to arcade machine on LinusTechTips, and it went from using old PC parts for a budget build to getting some ultra rare high quality CRT TV and some custom case that you wouldn't really get if you're just repurposing an old PC.

So while its good for what you asked about, if its actual tech tips you want, Linus' would require you to have an insane budget which makes it rather counterproductive.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.
(message deleted)

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 month ago#8
There is JayzTwoCents as an alternative.

Linus has gotten pretty memey over the last couple years.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#9
It's decent. You can get better but you can also definitely get worse. It's overall OK. If you're interested in something that focuses more on a technology or some aspect, then you are probably better off looking at a different source, but I think Linus is good at providing broad information, at least, so you have something to work with as a start.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#10
go to that guy tom shardware
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is LinusTechTips A Reliable Source For Good PC News/Information?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived