This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#11
Lemonspice posted...
yohabroha posted...
where was the announcement from Valve for this??

It does not have to be Valve, Comcast/Cable companies can now charge that to access Steam/Uplay/ect. They have already been caught throttling services and demanding money before a few times.

Oh damn where was the announcement for the subscription service for steam?
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
1 month ago#12
MarceloSampaio posted...
Umn...

Someone called Marcelo Sampaio being called a Trumpster is so ironic. :p
Why? There was plenty of blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, gays, etc. who were pro-Trump too.

User Info: krazycharlie

krazycharlie
1 month ago#13
I'd have to be paid at least $999.99 a month by videogames companies trying to pull their BS into us videogamers. Sadly, I'm not :(.
"U mad bro?".

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#14
Why would you pay 9.99 a month for steam it's free?
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: gldoorii

gldoorii
1 month ago#15
mucloud posted...
Why would you pay 9.99 a month for steam it's free?

What the TC is getting at is now the ISPs have the ability to charge you for access to specific online activities regardless of if they're free or subscription based.

User Info: steve_madsci

steve_madsci
1 month ago#16
It's unlikely you'll have to pay your ISP to access Steam, more likely they'll just throttle your connection so or takes 3 days to download a game.

Unless, of course, Valve pays your ISP a premium to allow its users unfettered access. So, ultimately, yeah, you'll be paying 9.99 per month to use Steam and you won't even know it.

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
1 month ago#17
Probably will make VPN service even more mandatory. And more costly.

VPN gets subscription to everything. You subscribe to the VPN. Get to access everything and mask identity. VPN price goes from a couple bucks a month to a hundie. :/

We need the infrastructure to allow competition in this market. Really badly.

f*** the property tax cuts. Major tax cuts for any new internet service providers more like it. And huge fines/jail time for any person or entity found guilty barring entry to the market.

How you ask? IDK bro.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
1 month ago#18
steve_madsci posted...
It's unlikely you'll have to pay your ISP to access Steam, more likely they'll just throttle your connection so or takes 3 days to download a game.

Unless, of course, Valve pays your ISP a premium to allow its users unfettered access. So, ultimately, yeah, you'll be paying 9.99 per month to use Steam and you won't even know it.

got the point. if steam doesnt pay or consumer doesnt pay, then connection will be throttled. it will take you days to download, couple hours to connect to login server, and dc by isp every 15mins.

good thing, i mostly game on ps4 and buy single player game on bluray disc. era of online gaming is over. awesome.

User Info: friedbats

friedbats
1 month ago#19
I'm bracing myself to see how the next few months play out now that net neutrality is gone. It's a very real issue that we will be paying an additional premium for things like Steam, Netflix, etc. to our ISPs.

Sure, Steam is free, but if you want your AT&T internet to go faster than DSL on their servers you have to pay up.

Netflix is ~$10 a month to subscribe, but if you want more than 720p video quality, you'll be paying your ISP for the act of streaming netflix.
Hey baby, wake up from you're asleep!
We have arrived onto the future and everything is...

User Info: kblaze13

kblaze13
1 month ago#20
friedbats posted...
I'm bracing myself to see how the next few months play out now that net neutrality is gone. It's a very real issue that we will be paying an additional premium for things like Steam, Netflix, etc. to our ISPs.

Sure, Steam is free, but if you want your AT&T internet to go faster than DSL on their servers you have to pay up.

Netflix is ~$10 a month to subscribe, but if you want more than 720p video quality, you'll be paying your ISP for the act of streaming netflix.

technically it doesn't go into effect for 60 days if it isn't stopped before then but yeah you get the idea.
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived