This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
1 month ago#91
I mean a good lawyer could probably take this conspiracy throttling s*** to the supreme court and have it ruled illegal under first amendment freedom of speech? AKA internet service provider A decides to throttle NBC news but not Fox (terrible example, whatever, hopefully there is some semblance of a point in there).

I don't think there is anything legally you could do against charging for content though. Someone makes content, they own the content, they sell it. ISPs don't own it though, so idk how that s*** works if an ISP is going to make you pay for it. Would be like NICOR getting 10% of McDonalds profit because they made the burgers with the gas they got from NICOR. They already paid NICOR once for the service, they are done after that. I think it would be illegal for NICOR to throttle the gas usage for cooking vegan burgers only.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
1 month ago#92
Biceptual posted...
I mean a good lawyer could probably take this conspiracy throttling s*** to the supreme court and have it ruled illegal under first amendment freedom of speech? AKA internet service provider A decides to throttle NBC news but not Fox (terrible example, whatever, hopefully there is some semblance of a point in there).

I don't think there is anything legally you could do against charging for content though. Someone makes content, they own the content, they sell it. ISPs don't own it though, so idk how that s*** works if an ISP is going to make you pay for it. Would be like NICOR getting 10% of McDonalds profit because they made the burgers with the gas they got from NICOR. They already paid NICOR once for the service, they are done after that. I think it would be illegal for NICOR to throttle the gas usage for cooking vegan burgers only.

Both of those scenarios (throttling and pay-for-access) services are illegal under the Sherman Anti-trust act. Furthermore, as a part of the repeal ips's were forced to agree not to throttle or be subject to violations of Section 5 of the FTCA.

Sure a few companies broke the law and got away with it prior to NN, but several isp's still throttled after the NN laws were enacted. Companies will continue to break laws as long as it is more profitable to break the law than not. And since it's virtually impossible to "prove" throttling, isp's will continue to break the law regardless of the verbage.

User Info: khunki

khunki
1 month ago#93
KillerTruffle posted...
khunki posted...
I think if they were being "bad" then the majority of people in the country would stop using that service as punishment. I think people can make that choice because I don't believe that the internet is a human right, it's a service which is mostly used for leisure activities.

Human right? Of course not. No more than electricity, running water, phone service, etc. It IS as essential for modern society as many of those other things though, and as such, should be treated and regulated as a common carrier utility accordingly.

The internet may be important to a "modern life" but the services it provides are not all equal or equally essential so a tier based system could totally be pushed through. In fact, since the internet already varies in access, data caps and data speed to different people through out the country and is not funded or supported by tax funds, how does it deserve to be classified as a common carrier utility in its present form? It's already tiered.

I am bothered about compromised privacy due to counting data packets and analyzing data consumption but I'm sure that's already going on because my ISP has a data cap.
X

User Info: G_U_G

G_U_G
1 month ago#94
gldoorii posted...
mucloud posted...
Why would you pay 9.99 a month for steam it's free?

What the TC is getting at is now the ISPs have the ability to charge you for access to specific online activities regardless of if they're free or subscription based.

It WILL happen here. It was and issue for a long time but rules prevented it and ended it. They already have said it will happen again here. Throttling of certain services in favor of their own or others that the contract with. I have heard some video steaming services will be affected. Likely to hit gaming hard here. Hopefully MS decides to play for fast lane for Xbox stuff across the U.S. Viable strategy at this point.

I would say that it is strange that any Republican would vote for repeal. They claim to be for the working people. Yet they protect the rich and corporate at the expense of everyone else. Yeah, you pay for service but we can limit it anyway. Oh sorry, we have a monopoly so suck it. P.S. we own your "leaders" now follow like the stupid sheep you are.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#95
G_U_G posted...
gldoorii posted...
mucloud posted...
Why would you pay 9.99 a month for steam it's free?

What the TC is getting at is now the ISPs have the ability to charge you for access to specific online activities regardless of if they're free or subscription based.

It WILL happen here. It was and issue for a long time but rules prevented it and ended it. They already have said it will happen again here. Throttling of certain services in favor of their own or others that the contract with. I have heard some video steaming services will be affected. Likely to hit gaming hard here. Hopefully MS decides to play for fast lane for Xbox stuff across the U.S. Viable strategy at this point.

I would say that it is strange that any Republican would vote for repeal. They claim to be for the working people. Yet they protect the rich and corporate at the expense of everyone else. Yeah, you pay for service but we can limit it anyway. Oh sorry, we have a monopoly so suck it. P.S. we own your "leaders" now follow like the stupid sheep you are.

Luckily where we live there isn't an ISP monopoly so they will kind of fight each other and we will get slightly better deals.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#96
Off topic, but wouldn't offline mode make it so you could still play your offline games if, (and that's a big if) this happens. They can't charge you if you aren't using the internet.-
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#97
Hatsune_Miku posted...
Off topic, but wouldn't offline mode make it so you could still play your offline games if, (and that's a big if) this happens. They can't charge you if you aren't using the internet.-

You will eventually have to sign in again to update the license to keep playing it offline. It doesn't happen for a long time though but you will have to eventually.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: loader963

loader963
1 month ago#98
khunki posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
khunki posted...
I think if they were being "bad" then the majority of people in the country would stop using that service as punishment. I think people can make that choice because I don't believe that the internet is a human right, it's a service which is mostly used for leisure activities.

Human right? Of course not. No more than electricity, running water, phone service, etc. It IS as essential for modern society as many of those other things though, and as such, should be treated and regulated as a common carrier utility accordingly.

The internet may be important to a "modern life" but the services it provides are not all equal or equally essential so a tier based system could totally be pushed through. In fact, since the internet already varies in access, data caps and data speed to different people through out the country and is not funded or supported by tax funds, how does it deserve to be classified as a common carrier utility in its present form? It's already tiered.

I am bothered about compromised privacy due to counting data packets and analyzing data consumption but I'm sure that's already going on because my ISP has a data cap.

Idk about not essential. How many retail stores or restaurants could survive in the US without internet? Our local monopoly with centurylink goes out sporadically thru our area and when it does the local gas stations may as well shut down since people rely so much on credit/debit cards.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: Somato

Somato
1 month ago#99
I was wondering.

Her in Australia our internet is already pretty messed up. We basically already have lost net Neutrality but they do it differently and it's not a big deal.

That said, one of the most recent things they did here was block access to popular pirating sites like Pirate Bay. Again it's not really a big deal. Just use one of the millions of proxy sites it has and you can access it fine.

So i was wondering, how big of a deal will Net Neutrality really for you? How long before nerds build work arounds for all the bulls*** they try to implement?
Never forget, it's not Blizzard. It's Activision Blizzard

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#100
Somato posted...
I was wondering.

Her in Australia our internet is already pretty messed up. We basically already have lost net Neutrality but they do it differently and it's not a big deal.

That said, one of the most recent things they did here was block access to popular pirating sites like Pirate Bay. Again it's not really a big deal. Just use one of the millions of proxy sites it has and you can access it fine.

So i was wondering, how big of a deal will Net Neutrality really for you? How long before nerds build work arounds for all the bulls*** they try to implement?

Well, VPNs already work around a lot of the throttling problems, but that's not really a solid solution, since you should not have to pay additional money to make full use of the internet connection you pay for. :P

I'm not even talking about pirate sites or other illegal stuff either. I'm talking about sites like Youtube. I was throttled on Youtube for months until I got a VPN.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived