This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading my Router.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading my Router.

User Info: cisquo10

cisquo10
4 weeks ago#1
Years ago(Maybe 5 years) I bought an Asus RT-N16. At that time, we had just got broadband at about 20Mb/s connection speed.
Read good review about it and bit the bullet...

Now with tech advancing so quickly, we currently have a 200Mb/s fibre connection but our ISP provided modem is garbage on WiFi, they even suggest to their customers to not use their modem produced WiFi and purchase a wireless router.

What's the best sub $80-100 USD router(Available on Amazon only please)

We have about 5 Mobile Phones, 4 Tablets, 1 Desktop, 3 Laptops, 2 Smart TVs, a few smart bulbs, 1 Ps4, 3-4 IP cameras at 1080p, 3 movie streamers(HTPC like) for the TVs.

Mainly looking for best WiFi coverage and stable Speeds. 802.11b,g are unnecessary. N is mandatory, AC if possible for future proofing.

Home is solid wall(Cement Block construction), no insulation in walls. Will be placed centrally.

Relevant Layout

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][]RM1[][][][][][][][]RM2[][][][][][][][][][][]RM3[][][]
[][]##########HALLWAY##########[][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]###[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][LIVING ROOM][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Walkways - #
RM - Rooms which require internet
Living Room - Requires internet and is the area where the ISP Modem is. Router must be in this area as well and will be as close to the hallway entrance as possible.

Hallway distance RM1 - RM2 is about 25FT or so maybe more or less.

Important areas requiring coverage. Currently RM1 and 3 get poor signals with the n16 and abysmal speeds

Assist me Faqers.
PSN: Reckerr

User Info: Pitlord_Special

Pitlord_Special
4 weeks ago#2
I'd probably get one of these three. I work as a cable tech and seen all three of these perform quite well (all of them can get over 200 mbps on wifi if your device supports it)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2/
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-Archer-C7/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-AiProtection-Optimization/dp/B008ABOJKS/

Personally use this one
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Wireless-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/
but a bit over your budget

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#3
The Asus 1900 or TP-Link 1900 are your best choices.

ASUS Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router, Black ( RT-AC68U)

Amazon has them lime new for under $100.

Make sure you also have the hardware to use that dual band 2.4ghz and 5.ghz a pcie-e card is the best.

Asus or TP-Link

TP-Link AC1900 WiFi PCI-Express Wireless Network Card | Beamforming Technology (Archer T9E)

$66.86 on Amazon

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapter (PCE-AC68)

$80 used like new I have this one it has better range cause of the extended antenna.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#4
If you're in the market for a router now make sure it has been patched for KRACK. This pretty much disqualifies cheap T-link s***. Linksys, D-link, and Asus etc have released list of routers affected by the vulnerability along with patches (if available). For your price range you should be looking at an AC-1750 or better.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
4 weeks ago#5
cisquo10 posted...

Personally I wouldn’t cheap out on your router since it will undoubtedly be the most used device in your house.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

mucloud
4 weeks ago#6
ClunkerSlim posted...
cisquo10 posted...

Personally I wouldn’t cheap out on your router since it will undoubtedly be the most used device in your house.

This you want to get the best for your budget and it will last longer till you have to upgrade speeds wise. Honestly unless your on good fiber speeds your Wi-Fi router will outlast your pc lol.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

mucloud
4 weeks ago#7
Ciera posted...
If you're in the market for a router now make sure it has been patched for KRACK. This pretty much disqualifies cheap T-link s***. Linksys, D-link, and Asus etc have released list of routers affected by the vulnerability along with patches (if available). For your price range you should be looking at an AC-1750 or better.

Never heard of KRACK?

IS this a backdoor problem?

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#8
A severe flaw in the encryption protocols used by nearly all modern Wi-Fi networks could let attackers hijack encrypted traffic, steal passwords and even inject malware into smartphones and laptops.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/wifi-krack-attack-what-to-do,news-25990.html

it's a vulnerability that gives anyone within range of your wifi network free reign to snoop all traffic on your network without the need of connecting to your network directly. so it's a pretty big deal. it basically renders the notion of "securing" your network moot. if you use wifi, make sure your end device (operating system) and access points (router) are KRACK patched.
I'll... shave that cat.

mucloud
4 weeks ago#9
Ok I have some research to do on my stuff lol.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading my Router.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived