This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#11
k debonair posted...
IBT + Furmark at the same time. You'll crash within 30 seconds if there's a problem.

Nope
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Rud3Bwoy

Rud3Bwoy
1 month ago#12
5 mins is a joke to anyone whom suggested that

Personally I run all my stress tests for 24 hours and even then I run some demanding games to be sure it’s stable , I’ve had stress test pass in prime and other programs but fail in apps etc so I’d do both
Glorious 4K Master Race
https://valid.x86.fr/n6zhcp Rig Specs

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
1 month ago#13
You're not stressing the overclock correctly. You have to make a custom torture test using all the available memory.

After you play with your computer while doing the test & all. If it doesn't crash for a good 2 hours while messing with the PC it should be stable enough. Although a perfect overclock, the PC never crash turned on 24/24.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
1 month ago#14
https://i.imgur.com/plLcWrk.jpg

Well, it failed at 4.4GHz overclock.

https://i.imgur.com/hTbb98d.jpg
4K, i3-8350K, Zotac GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370 MB, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+ 650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, Deepcool Tesseract case

GoldenSun3DS
1 month ago#15
If it failed at the auto overclock, is there still a chance that I could achieve that clock speed manually? Like maybe the auto overclock isn't giving it enough voltage.
4K, i3-8350K, Zotac GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370 MB, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+ 650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, Deepcool Tesseract case

GoldenSun3DS
1 month ago#16
I feel dumb. I just realized that the first time you go to an area in Cemu, the performance goes down a bit (random stutters) because it's building a shader cache.

I get full speed in Cemu at stock clock speed as long as the shader cache is built (visited that area in the game before). I don't need to overclock at all. 4GHz is fine.

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
1 month ago#17
Rud3Bwoy posted...
5 mins is a joke to anyone whom suggested that

Personally I run all my stress tests for 24 hours and even then I run some demanding games to be sure it’s stable , I’ve had stress test pass in prime and other programs but fail in apps etc so I’d do both

A couple of hours is plenty.
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
1 month ago#18
why are you using their built in overclocking app in the bios? first of all dont do that. and secondly, that thing will bump your vcore up to levels much higher and even unsafe than you would want just to achieve the same cpu multiplier you would get if you just did everything manually

and even those things wont really be stable. dont use the auto software for babys first overclock. learn to do it manually or dont bother doing it at all.

and if youre too lazy to run multiple torture tests through prime95, intel burn test, aida64 and other ones, thats fine you dont have to spend much time at all. just plug in some numbers someone else used and hey if it doesnt work a and you have to pull out your cmos battery just to get the thing to boot again or reformat and reinstall windows after a system file gets corrupted from it, hey at least you tried right? i mean if you dont know what the hell youre doing or dont care about any of that stuff and potential issues down the road, , why would you want spend more than just a couple minutes stress testing and dialing in your OC anyways?

and you were the guy who insisted upon building your 4k emulation setup or whatever and refused to listen to why that cpu wouldnt really even be all that ideal for that. you were pretty insistant over it so i think you should probably just do your own homework here and figure it all out. youll learn something from it. google has alot of answers for you reguarding the overclocking process. everybody has a different chip and some are more capable than others. some cant really even be overclocked at all. nothing is guaranteed to work and be stable, not even an extra 100 mhz over what the chip was binned and rated for. nobody can give you the magic numbers you are looking for that will work.

you need to learn how to do it yourself. youre gonna wind up crashing out and having to spend alot of time looking at numbers on a screen but its a learning process but sooner or later youll be able to figure it out and be able to emulate all those pirated roms of yours a little smoother.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: XSoldER

XSoldER
1 month ago#19
Use Intel Burn Test at max settings for the default number of runs. Check windows errors and core temps with a hardware monitor. If you pass and don't see any recoverable errors or ridiculous temps, you should be good to go. This should take 30 min at most.

No need to waste time running stress tests for hours. Playing games are all the testing you need after a couple of IBT runs.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#20
monkmith posted...
5 minutes, or until things like temps level out. long term stress tests always struck me as pointless.

I once ran a system that seemed perfectly stable, but would fail after usually about 2~3 hours of prime.
It occasionally had problems running SC2 stably, and that was apparently why.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived