This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

User Info: Rud3Bwoy

Rud3Bwoy
4 weeks ago#21
Kano92 posted...
Rud3Bwoy posted...
5 mins is a joke to anyone whom suggested that

Personally I run all my stress tests for 24 hours and even then I run some demanding games to be sure it’s stable , I’ve had stress test pass in prime and other programs but fail in apps etc so I’d do both

A couple of hours is plenty.

A couple hours is nothing I’ve had oc fail within hours later into the stress test or into games again if you’re stable you can run any stress test 24 hours with good temps and leave it running as long as you want with out being worried
Glorious 4K Master Race
https://valid.x86.fr/n6zhcp Rig Specs

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#22
Rud3Bwoy posted...
if you’re stable you can run any stress test 24 hours

So...what are you testing at that point? Because it's very unlikely that your machine would be operating under maximum efficiency for 24 hours at a time. If this is something that you're anticipating, then yes, the test makes sense. If you want to see if the overclocking succeeded and you are going to use the PC normally, where you don't push it to the limit for long stretches of time, then the test is a bit meaningless.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#23
vlado_e posted...
Rud3Bwoy posted...
if you’re stable you can run any stress test 24 hours

So...what are you testing at that point? Because it's very unlikely that your machine would be operating under maximum efficiency for 24 hours at a time. If this is something that you're anticipating, then yes, the test makes sense. If you want to see if the overclocking succeeded and you are going to use the PC normally, where you don't push it to the limit for long stretches of time, then the test is a bit meaningless.

The point of a stress test is to put your machine in a worst case scenario to bring out possible problems more quickly, so that you don't have it suddenly bluescreen in the middle of important work.
Your computer will not politely stop you and tell you that your CPU has made a mistake and you should lower your overclock and then let you resume what you were doing. It will crash, freeze, corrupt data, ect without warning. An unstable system is simply unstable.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived