This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#11
Voidgolem posted...
as somebody that works in an IT company: It depends.

a lot of it does indeed boil down to google/stackoverflow usage because if somebody else has solved the problem it's inefficient to spend a bunch of time re-solving it.

Yeah, "IT" is a really wide label and doesn't even accurately describe the position. One IT person could just be there to make sure users don't set fire to their computers and that's about it, while another may be a crucial link in the deployment and maintenance of pretty much everything technology related. The former could just only use Google and apply some first hand experience, while the latter can be involved in liaising with various departments and people from programmers to even construction companies, depending on what's exactly the project. Others still may even be doing all their work from home because they only have remote stuff to administer, anyway - servers and applications might be the only thing they are hired to look after, so they won't even deal with end users. And with the advance of cloud based services, that becomes more and more of an option.

So, all in all, for some IT personnel, you could probably get a tech-y high school kid with access to Google to fill the position. For others, Google can be a plus but they can't really rely on it exclusively.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: CW Boi 209

CW Boi 209
4 weeks ago#12
Sometimes you do need to have the know-how though, especially if you're someplace where the internet or network infrastructure is down and your cell phone gets bad reception.

You're also pretty much the middleman between a vendor's tech support and the customer you're working with because the customer tends to lack the vocabulary or understanding to speak with the vendor, especially in cases where they require you to access a terminal and fiddle with these settings that may look scary to the average person.
i7 4790 | ASRock H97M ITX | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD | EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB SC+ ACX 2.0+ | CM Elite 130

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
4 weeks ago#13
I work as a Systems Engineer, and I use Google all the time. Most of the time it's "Crap, what's the syntax used here again?" or things like finding manufacturer documentation. Other times sure, it's "Crap I haven't dealt with this particular thing before and I need to get myself up to speed on it".

I look at using Google now as I suspect others looked at using libraries, encyclopedias, or other reference materials in previous generations. Being able to effectively use Google as a reference tool is by all means a useful skill in IT, and the mere use of it isn't something to be looked down upon. That said, it's a bit different of a case if someone literally cannot do even basic things without constantly having to consult Google results.

I suppose the difference between the two is using Google to augment existing knowledge versus using Google as a substitute for knowledge.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
4 weeks ago#14
CW Boi 209 posted...
Sometimes you do need to have the know-how though, especially if you're someplace where the internet or network infrastructure is down and your cell phone gets bad reception.

You're also pretty much the middleman between a vendor's tech support and the customer you're working with because the customer tends to lack the vocabulary or understanding to speak with the vendor, especially in cases where they require you to access a terminal and fiddle with these settings that may look scary to the average person.

Agreed, with the obvious-to-IT-people observation of man those jobs suck.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 weeks ago#15
The difference between the average person and a proper IT person is the IT person knows what to do with the knowledge he finds.

Going through programming classes in college, you are not expected to know every operation, instruction, register, and etc. That is why you have documentation. You are expected to know how to use that information.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#16
You've got to remember, low level help desk techs are paid to do exactly two things. Read the script they're given and escalate support tickets if the situation requires it. Not only is wizardry not required, it's actively discouraged because that's what the higher level support staff are for.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#17
Erg0n posted...
yeah, pretty much you're paid to google stuff for other people.

Even in other jobs, for example my wife's a lawyer and she says in her firm they google a lot then slap on a hefty bill when the client could have done it themselves.

Laywers are scum, but smart.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#18
Ya TC you are honestly better off figuring out yourself or here I suppose. I only go IT when I have used up every other option.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: d209999

d209999
4 weeks ago#19
Orestes417 posted...
You've got to remember, low level help desk techs are paid to do exactly two things. Read the script they're given and escalate support tickets if the situation requires it. Not only is wizardry not required, it's actively discouraged because that's what the higher level support staff are for.

Can confirm from my stint working for Dell. The script is your God
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: __Blight__

__Blight__
4 weeks ago#20
I am Tier 3 and I used Google all the time. It's always some question about some aspect of software I never heard of. Some lady asked me about backing up her Quick Parts in Outlook. I said - What the f*** is Quick Parts?
"I see light to the east...mornings coming."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived