This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#1
So i was running anniversary.
In the middle of gw2, first my sound cuts out, then my video crashes. It updated my sound drivers and video drivers mid game. This has got to be the most amazing update system ever, erasing files clearly in use. It somehow enabled the windows update service.
And today it did it again, it enabled itself. I even checked not 10 minutes ago, the service was disabled. Now it's reinstalling Windows by itself to install updates.
Seriously wow. Microsoft, they are by far the worst developers ever. I've seen viruses that are more considerate of what your computer is doing.

/rant while my computer sits updating
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#2
You can set up to 18 active hours during which it won't update. That's effectively all day unless you don't sleep.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#3
wildog2006 posted...
You can set up to 18 active hours during which it won't update. That's effectively all day unless you don't sleep.

Yeah, it did it during my hours i set its not allowed to.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#4
wildog2006 posted...

But, but I can't be bothered to do updates until I'm forced to and then I get to complain about it!
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#5
Orestes417 posted...
But, but I can't be bothered to do updates until I'm forced to and then I get to complain about it!

And I can't be arsed to buy a SSD so they go super fast either. Better b**** about it online!
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#6
Orestes417 posted...
wildog2006 posted...

Shouldn't ever be forced, especially when I had it all disabled. That would be a business nightmare if it happened.

wildog2006 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

And I can't be arsed to buy a SSD so they go super fast either. Better b**** about it online!

I have 2 SSDs noob, still takes too long. And then I had to go find drivers for everything, reconvince my 970 that my monitor is in fact a monitor, and not a TV with only 256 colours, then convince windows that my sound device is in fact speakers, and not a tv, or a monitor, or the microphone sitting on my desk. Then I had to reinstall several games, and do a -r repair on gw2 just so I could go back and do my dailies.

Oh, and my downloading machine also got stuck with windows updates, but since it was quite busy, it only got 20% done before I turned it off :D

User Info: daniel79

daniel79
4 weeks ago#7
Orestes417 posted...
wildog2006 posted...

Ate you honestly defending this practice? :/

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#8
There's a high correlation between people who half ass their system maintenance and people who complain about things like this happening. It's not a coincidence. If you'd pick a time you weren't using your system at least once a month and do the goddamned updates manually you wouldn't have these problems.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: FantasticGabe

FantasticGabe
4 weeks ago#9
Does disabling wuauserv not work anymore?
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
Formerly known as IBKNAWTU.

User Info: daniel79

daniel79
4 weeks ago#10
Orestes417 posted...
There's a high correlation between people who half ass their system maintenance and people who complain about things like this happening. It's not a coincidence. If you'd pick a time you weren't using your system at least once a month and do the goddamned updates manually you wouldn't have these problems.

So why cant we have the choice to just turn off automatic updates? Am I missing something here?

When did the PC become non personal? And why are you arguing against people having a choice?

What does it matter to you if he updates his pc, or not?

What in the actual f***..
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived