Please rate my collection and recommend any gems

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TurboGrafx-16
  3. Please rate my collection and recommend any gems

User Info: Iwillkill123

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#1
Been collecting for the Pc-engine Duo for years. The reasons for going with the Japanese PCE:-

-I find the Japanese counterpart to be a much more interesting to me. The TGX 16 doesn't have that obscure Japanese charm.
-Games are much cheaper than their USA counterpart.
-Large selection of games.

I've posted my collection on this page, please check it and see how I've done so far:_
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/501/show-collection.htm

Thanks in advance.

Note:The red mark beside the name means that I've beaten the game.

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#2
Sorry, here is the proper link:_

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/501/show-collection--0-0-100-name-asc-0.htm

User Info: ICO_KID

ICO_KID
5 years ago#3
I'm a fellow PCE Duo owner too!

Nice collection you have there.
None of these are undiscovered gems or anything but I do recommend them all.

Atomic Robo-Kid Special
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II
Kaze Kiri: Ninja Action
Magical Chase
Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
Valis: Mugen Senshi
Valis 2
Valis 3
Valis 4

I see you have about half the shmup library the PCE has to offer. Ever considered going for the other 50 or so?

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#4
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendations. The Valis games (especially part 3 &4) and Dragon Slayer games are on top of my list now.

As for shooters, I've been interested in Coryoon, Steam Hearts, Magical Chase, Violent Soldier, and W-rings. But can never find a decent deal. Rare games for sure. I've heard some good things about Atomic Robo Kid and Lost sun-heart too.

ICO_KID
5 years ago#5
PCE certainly is the console to own for classic shmups. Definitely hunt down Magical Case if you can as it is really awesome, top 5 PC Engine shmup material for sure. Expensive yeah but at least its not several thousands of dollars like the TurboGrafx version. No slight graphical bump is worth that amount!

I see you also have Dynastic Hero. So I would recommend the rest of the Wonder Boy series as well.

Bikkuriman World (Wonder Boy in Monster Land)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Adventure Island (Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap)

nice to meet you :)

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#6
Thanks friend. But I truly regret purchasing the Japanese version of dynastic hero because I can't get past the pharaoh cat's quiz. I am stumped in this part, and can't continue my game. :(

BTW, you mind sharing your collection?

ICO_KID
5 years ago#7
Ah I see. In that case Bikkuriman World and Adventure Island might give you the same grief then, well maybe not Bikkuriman because that’s very straight forward but Adventure Island (Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap) you may run into the same trouble as Dynastic Hero.

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair is definitely fair game as its pretty much just a hori shmup. Decent one at that I might add, even if your hit-box is on the larger side.

My collection huh. Tell you the truth, I for the first time in my life obtained a PC Engine Duo just earlier this year, so I have only been collecting games for the console for the last 8 or so months. That being said I have had heaps of experience with the TurboGrafx-16 growing up and would play almost daily at a friends house down the road. But all CD based games are totally new to me.

here we go:

Adventure Island
After Burner II
Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo
Atomic Robo-Kid Special
Bikkuriman World
Detana! Twinbee
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II
Dynastic Hero
Exile
Exile II
Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton
Fantasy Zone
Final Soldier
Galaga ‘88
Gate of Thunder
Gradius
Gradius II
Gunhed
Image Fight
Image Fight II
Kaze Kiri: Ninja Action
Kaze No Densetsu Xanadu
Kaze No Densetsu Xanadu II
KyuKyoKu Tiger
Magical Chase
Mr. Heli no Daiboukin
Nexzr
Ninja Spirit
Parodius Da!
Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
R-Type Complete
Raiden
Seirei Senshi Spriggen
Sidearms Hyper Dyne
Soldier Blade
Space harrier
Spriggan Mark 2: Re-Terraform Project
Star Parodier
Super Raiden
Super Star Soldier
Tatsujin
Valis: Mugen Senshi
Valis II
Valis III
Valis IV
Winds of Thunder
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Ys Books I & II
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

I think that’s it. Keep in mind I have played/ finished a lot of the big name Hucard titles like Bonks Adventure/ PC Genjin, Legendary Axe and Bomber Man series when I was younger. I do plan on purchasing those games later but my priority is on stuff I haven’t played yet.

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#8
Sweet collection dude ! Not bad for 8 months.

Image Fight II and Super Raiden are both underrated shooters, and I love them both. Super Raiden especially kept me addicted until I beat it.

Also, Tatsujin is one of the best shmups I think, and a pricey card for the system. Fortunately, I was able to find a copy of Truxton (Genesis) for few bucks, and I am satisfied with that for now.

ICO_KID
5 years ago#9
Thanks man. I’m trying to build a respectable collection but there are just so many damn good games for the PC Engine. I am constantly discovering interesting looking games I’ve never heard or seen before but I seriously doubt I will have the time and or money to play them all.

You know I’ve had a SNES and Genesis/ SegaCD for more than a decade now but only own just over a dozen games for each, yet I’ve had a PCE for less than a year and have already amassed about 50!
Not knocking other 16-bit console’s libraries but the PCE is certainly the retro console for me.
I’m glad I was fortunate enough to obtain a Duo, I can’t imagine being limited to US stuff.

Iwillkill123
5 years ago#10
Oh ya...that is cool. In fact, PCE is my top classic system as well. I just love its history, games and uniqueness. BTW, As much as I love the PCE, I am also keeping up with the Snes/Genesis/Sega cd/Nes collections. As a shoot em' up fan, I currently own all quality shmups for these systems. For PCE, I recommend these odd titles:-

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Hana_Taka_Daka.htm
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Neo_Nectaris.htm
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Genji_Tsushin_Agedama.htm

And if you are a fan of side arms, I recommend "Side arms special", because of the new arranged mode, bosses and cd audio.
  1. Boards
  2. TurboGrafx-16
  3. Please rate my collection and recommend any gems

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived