Best version of FF Tactics

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Best version of FF Tactics

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
3 months ago#21
Wow, triple_lei is really determined to show the world that PS1 has better sound then PSP... Surely WOTL's music isn't that much worse? You make it sound like your comparing a Walkmen to an MP3 player.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
3 months ago#22
triple_lei posted...
You're telling me I'm wrong and you haven't even played the PS1 version?

I may have. I just never paid super close attention to the OST. And this ethos argument is irrelevant, because I already compared the two for myself.

triple_lei posted...
I'll make a damn comparison video myself if I have to.

By all means, go ahead. Make sure you don't purposefully gimp the PSP version's sound somehow in the video, though.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: Kanon209

Kanon209
3 months ago#23
Tactics Ogre.
Questionmarktarius 3 months ago#24
It really needs another remake. 24 character slots was really nice, but modern standards is 100+. Plus it would be an excuse to pretty the game up a little bit, and finally fix the Stone Gun.

OlorinTheOtaku
3 months ago#25
I always hated the camera in FFT, the units were more then half the time obscured behind a building or something & you had swing the camera left & right constantly to see everything. That never happened in the GBA & DS games.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
3 months ago#26
Disgaea 4 and 5

Mmmm...SARDINES!!
Favs: Persona, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Nintendo account: Xenoblader2000
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: klandaatu

klandaatu
3 months ago#27
OlorinTheOtaku posted...
I always hated the camera in FFT, the units were more then half the time obscured behind a building or something & you had swing the camera left & right constantly to see everything. That never happened in the GBA & DS games.

now, you're just nitpicking. Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL is an updated re-release of an older game, so obviously, they wouldn't completely do away with things that don't really need to be changed.

If anything, FFT was superior in both story and presentation compared to the Advance games. The Advance games, by virtue of being Nintendo games, were brighter and had a marginally more optimistic story(implied child neglect and bullying being a major plot point in A1)(Adventure Time in A2). While FFT/WotL had a much darker tone stemming from the game leaning more on the political intrigue, social commentary on social classes, and conspiracy for most of the game. The characterization of the 2 main leads(Ramza and Delita) and the game's antagonists(pre-Zodiac Stone mumbo jumbo) were rich.

Given that the Advance games' Ivalice was derived from an "In-game" Final Fantasy game and storybook, it would have that "light fairytale" feel. FFT/WotL's Ivalice on the other hand was based of an "In-game" historical record, giving it a more weighty feel.

Although, I do admit that the Advance game's "Law System" is wee bit fun to play, it's battle system on the other hand was extremely dumbed down(given that the Advance games WERE geared for kids) and made the game feel too easy. FFT/WotL's clunky and outdated system though does make you THINK and carefully pick which action to do. You have to pay attention to the turn order, the movement range of both your and enemy units, the Charge Time, the attack range(range and height), the terrain, the zodiac, the brave and faith stat, the gender. The game's battle system was very DEEP despite it being clunky.

Then we get to the sound quality.:

(FFTA/A2)
It's Square using Nintendo hardware, it'll always be good.

(FFT)
the sound quality on the PSOne was pretty good.

(FFT:WotL)
due to some hardware weirdness, the game sound quality was very very good.... IF you were using headphones/earphones. Due to some PSP hardware weirdness, unless you were using headphones, the sound quality would be...off. It's sorta muted and due to this, it'll sound muted on vita speakers(unless headphones) and on the PSTV.

User Info: final_lap

final_lap
3 months ago#28
I never paid attention to gender or zodiac when deciding attacks, I simply looked at success rate and damage. And as for brave and faith the only time I looked at that was when deciding on jobs for my units- I never really paid attention to enemy brave/faith.

FFT doesn't feel clunky imo at least not mid battle... if you want clunky check out Tactics Ogre.

OlorinTheOtaku
3 months ago#29
I still prefer FFT A2 on the DS more. The camera works, the graphics are nicer (IMO), the different races are fun & add charm too. The first thing I noticed when I played WoTL is "Were are all the non human races???". There's many other small reasons why I prefer A2 over WoTL. WoTL is definitely good though. If you like 1, you should definitely try the other, they are both great in there own ways.

Unlike klandaatu said, I don't think FFTA or FFTA2 is dumb'ed down that much. He makes it sound like its a kids game that doesn't require any strategy. I'd compare the GBA & DS FFT games to Pokemon, technically aimed at children sure, but can still be tons of fun for adults. FFTA2 definitely isn't simply by any means.

User Info: klandaatu

klandaatu
3 months ago#30
well, to address the race issue, the reason why WotL has no races is because its implied that THAT Ivalice is the distant future of Final Fantasy 12's Ivalice, where its presumed that the Glabados Church decided racial cleansing was the answer. While the Advance games' Ivalice was a "Happy End" version of Post-FF12 Ivalice. And my 6 year old nephew beat both games with little input from me or anybody else, so its easy enough that you can just brute force your way through the game, especially so with A2 since breaking the "law" amounts to just a small slap on the wrist.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Best version of FF Tactics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived