FF1 GBA Hard Type

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Rabite

Rabite
5 years ago#71
"Rabite, I'm going to see that bet, and raise it another $100."

First off, I see your bet and raise you $1000. I need some repairs on my car.

Second off, Jeff wants in on this action too. I'll have to look his address up when you realize that we really are two different people. He just doesn't want to make a GameFAQS account. Here's a hint though: Check the readme. If I were Jeff I wouldn't thank myself for input. Also we don't see eye to eye on some of changes he's made. For instance I think Heal Staff should still have Heal. I don't like a few of the changes he's made to the spell casting items. I don't like his stance on axes. However he's given sufficient information that will make it so I can make my own personal adjustments.

Third off, I second the bit about "why would you subject anybody to Golden Sun?". That game was boring, slow, ugly and unfun all around.

Finally I don't know if he can get rid of auto retargetting since it's deeply ingrained in the game's coding. If it were an option like it is in the PSOne version it would be easy (unnecessary really) but if the game doesn't have coding to separate attacks I don't believe it's possible. What would be more interesting in my opinion would be to make it so enemies don't fade away until the end of the round. This might actually be more feasible than removing auto retargetting. And would make it so that enemies could still absorb damage thus cancelling auto retargetting. I don't know if this is possible either, but the way I would attempt to implement it, if I had the knowledge to do so, would be to make the check for removing an enemy after everybody has gone. How you would stop them from being able to attack I'm not sure, but it would be interesting.
What's a rabite doing in a place like this?
If all else fails use fire - Zelda 2

User Info: John_Dane

John_Dane
5 years ago#72
Rabite, I was just kiddin', even if you were Jeff, wouldn't make a difference to me. =-)

And I only suggested Golden Sun because it doesn't have auto-retargetting. I didn't particularly like Golden Sun, but objectively I don't think it's that bad. Trying to think of another game that doesn't have auto-retargeting... maybe some of the old Wizardry games. Can't remember... I think it's because most of us consider that a flaw rather than a boon.

Oh, whoops, as soon as I wrote this I remembered. It's a really obscure game most of you probably haven't heard of. Cyber Knight II on the SNES. Fan-translated by Aeon Genesis. Pretty good game. And it actually makes sense to not have auto-retargeting in that game.

User Info: Alpha2099

Alpha2099
5 years ago#73
Just started playing this mod a few days ago. It's kinda cool. I got it mostly because I liked that it lifted some of the old caps (like now you can actually have HP in the 1000's instead of stopping at 999, and your characters can go beyond 8-hit attacks). I also like the increase in difficulty even though I had no problem with the way the original was set up.

One thing I have to say, though, is that there are a number of times where the game devolves into tedium. Because of the increase in difficulty, it becomes more important than ever to make sure your characters are well-equipped. This becomes a problem because all the weapons and armor are more expensive. Even worse is that the enemies don't give nearly as much gil as they used to. So, you're forced to run around for ages trying to kill enemies and get money, but that's a problem because the enemies are tougher and eat you alive, so you want the better armor, but it's too expensive so you have to kill enemies...it just becomes this vicious repetitive cycle of just running around killing things for an age and a half. I think either a) the equipment should be a bit cheaper, or b) the enemies need to give more gil.

To put things in perspective, my party (2 Fighters/Knights, 1 Thief/Rogue, 1 White Mage) is all at Level 25, and I'm up to Mount Gulg to light the Fire Crystal, but I'm getting eaten alive by the frequent encounters and challenging enemies. And the armor in Crescent Lake is exorbitantly expensive.

User Info: Qazitory

Qazitory
5 years ago#74
Yeah, you'll want to rely on chest equipment and the sale thereof to outfit your party. You simply have to prioritize your purchases. As for random encounters, the only easy way to deal with them is to just save constantly. It's how I class changed at level fifteen, although I probably wouldn't have needed savescumming if I wasn't under leveled.

I do agree that weapon prices could be a little lower (or gil drops increased), and their placement/stats balanced so that they aren't outclassed by the next thing you find in a chest or something else you can buy at the same time. However, I get the sense that managing your funds is part of the difficulty.

Alpha2099
5 years ago#75
I also noticed a frequent hangup spot when running the game. In the Chaos Shrine at the very end of the game, you can run into a patch of enemies that looks like this:

3 Dark Wizards
2 Dark Fighters
3 Death Knights
1 Black Knight

Unless you get the first move and knock out some of them, one of the Dark Fighters will cast Protera on all the enemies. When this happens, the game locks up and crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Something to work on in the next update.

Rabite
5 years ago#76
I'll let him know about that. He's moved on to other games for the time being so he might not see this. Thanks for the info.

Alpha2099
5 years ago#77
Just cleared the game with 100% bestiary. It was a lot of work, but I got through it. My party was Level 76 in the end. I'm sure it could have been completed at a lower level, but with all the searching for enemies to fill the bestiary and going through dungeons multiple times, 76 just happened naturally. Ultimately, it was kinda fun, even though it got tedious at times. I'll have to try out FF2 next to see how the changes ended up in that one.

User Info: Qazitory

Qazitory
5 years ago#78
Does Chaos even present a challenge at level 76, or is he just that frighteningly strong?

Rabite
5 years ago#79
Vertigo: I told him about it, and he's going to look into it. He suspects that Protera might not like being used on enemies, which is why Tsunami and various enemy spells can't be used by the player.

Rabite
5 years ago#80
New patch should be up with fixes for all known bugs. Also some prices have been modified.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived