Hrm, Blood Mage Warden...(spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Hrm, Blood Mage Warden...(spoilers)

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
3 years ago#1
So, I completed Warden's Keep yesterday. I kept Avernus alive and experimenting.

So, since my Warden is a blood mage doesn't this mean that instead of after 30 years getting those horrible nightmares and having a glorious death fighting Darkspawn he'll instead be able to control that and even extend his life hundreds of years?
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: Cruddy_horse

Cruddy_horse
3 years ago#2
Huh, never thought about that, I guess theoretically yeah

Enclave
3 years ago#3
Hrm, in theory a blood mage should also be able to figure out how to give Elves back their immortality as well.
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: Okamiaku

Okamiaku
3 years ago#4
Enclave posted...
Hrm, in theory a blood mage should also be able to figure out how to give Elves back their immortality as well.

Not according too Solas it was a part of what they were, Not magic.
- Black Shuck - Member of Black Hounds Hunting Team.
I walk the Darkest of Paths, that of Eternal Death...

Enclave
3 years ago#5
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...

Well yeah, that's why blood magic could probably bring it back. Seems to me it's in their genes being immortal, if anything could bring that back it would be a blood mage with time on their hands and elves to experiment with.

Okamiaku
3 years ago#6
Enclave posted...
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...

Well yeah, that's why blood magic could probably bring it back. Seems to me it's in their genes being immortal, if anything could bring that back it would be a blood mage with time on their hands and elves to experiment with.

But would you want the immortality that created? (Makes me think of vampires a bit)

Im surprised they dont talk more about becoming a spirit as a means to immortality. More then a few mages are lost or live in the Fade.

Enclave
3 years ago#7
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...

But would you want the immortality that created? (Makes me think of vampires a bit)

Im surprised they dont talk more about becoming a spirit as a means to immortality. More then a few mages are lost or live in the Fade.

Ah, but we still make use of medical breakthroughs today that were acquired via less than reputable means.

Can we really not utilise knowledge just because it was gotten in a less than reputable way? Perhaps if restoring immortality to yourself required the sacrifice of somebody else you'd have a point, but if that's not the case? Is there any harm? The damage after all already would be done and not necessarily by you.

Okamiaku
3 years ago#8
Enclave posted...
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...
Okamiaku posted...
Enclave posted...

Ah, but we still make use of medical breakthroughs today that were acquired via less than reputable means.

Can we really not utilise knowledge just because it was gotten in a less than reputable way? Perhaps if restoring immortality to yourself required the sacrifice of somebody else you'd have a point, but if that's not the case? Is there any harm? The damage after all already would be done and not necessarily by you.

That same argument caused some of the most deplorable actions in human history and of course some of the greatest breakthroughs.

User Info: LunasMeow

LunasMeow
3 years ago#9
You've got that backwards.

What you're talking about is a person arguing that the ends justify the means, and thus doing whatever unethical things they desire to get the results they want.

What he's talking about is if someone has *already* done these things, and if you should just throw away the knowledge because of how it was obtained, or if you should make use of it.

This has already been done over and over throughout history, and overwhelmingly the decision is to use the knowledge. The idea is that we can't change the past, and thus we can't do anything about the suffering that the test subjects underwent. If we at least make use of the knowledge that we took from the unethical researchers when we found them and shut them down, then at least their suffering was worth something. If you just burn the information, then you've made their suffering for naught. Meaningless.

That's worse than the original torturer. At least *they* had a purpose for the suffering they caused. You just made it as if the person was just some random crazy doing it for kicks.

Personally, I think this is not our primary reason why we do this, primarily we just want to keep the knowledge while being secure in our own righteousness by not having been a part of the evil that got the results. This is just our way of justifying to ourselves why we keep the knowledge. However, this does not make the "justification" any less true. It is true, it's just secondary. The justification lets us pretend that it is the main reason so that we feel better about it, is all.
What's the definition of trust? Two cannibals having oral sex.

User Info: Shadowking129

Shadowking129
3 years ago#10
LunasMeow posted...
You've got that backwards.

What you're talking about is a person arguing that the ends justify the means, and thus doing whatever unethical things they desire to get the results they want.

What he's talking about is if someone has *already* done these things, and if you should just throw away the knowledge because of how it was obtained, or if you should make use of it.

This has already been done over and over throughout history, and overwhelmingly the decision is to use the knowledge. The idea is that we can't change the past, and thus we can't do anything about the suffering that the test subjects underwent. If we at least make use of the knowledge that we took from the unethical researchers when we found them and shut them down, then at least their suffering was worth something. If you just burn the information, then you've made their suffering for naught. Meaningless.

That's worse than the original torturer. At least *they* had a purpose for the suffering they caused. You just made it as if the person was just some random crazy doing it for kicks.

Personally, I think this is not our primary reason why we do this, primarily we just want to keep the knowledge while being secure in our own righteousness by not having been a part of the evil that got the results. This is just our way of justifying to ourselves why we keep the knowledge. However, this does not make the "justification" any less true. It is true, it's just secondary. The justification lets us pretend that it is the main reason so that we feel better about it, is all.

Suffering is Suffering and knowledge coming from this is not Justifiable. I do believe the this is a fast way of acquiring knowledge as we got many advancement in technology by war like the infamous manhattan project and i do understand that without suffering progress would be slow as many people would have no need to make it. but to make people suffer would lead to a chain with someone making a excuses to do it them self.

so i say forget the elves give it to the humans hahahhaha
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Hrm, Blood Mage Warden...(spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived