please help! i can not get the game to start!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gothic 3
  3. please help! i can not get the game to start!

User Info: AlbertWeskerUMB

AlbertWeskerUMB
8 years ago#1
i recently purchased the RPG FANTASY ACTION PACK from best buy and gothic 3 was included. i installed both G3 and dungeon lords. DL runs fine, but G3 wont even start.

i received this message after clicking the icon...

Unable to Locate Component. This operation has failed to start because d3dx9_29.dll was not found. re-installing this application may fix this problem.

and then another window pops up and says...

genome gaming system has stopped working.

i am not really a computer guy, so i have no idea what this all means. i can tell you that i did reinstall the game several times and restarted the computer too and that did not solve it. i also tried running it on windows xp service pack 2 compatibility mode. that is what made dungeon lords work, but that did not help with gothic.

my computer is brand new and the specs are...

windows vista home premium 64-bit edition with service pack 1
ATI radeon HD 3200 graphics
AMD phenom X4 9550 quad-core processor
6 GB system memory
640 GB hard drive

please help! thank you!
XBL Gamertag: AlbertWeskerUMB

User Info: GeorgeKI

GeorgeKI
8 years ago#2
On the G3 game box is states XP 32 or 64 bit and svc pak 2 or greater.

The quad core may be confusing the game. I know gamers who had dual core used the fix on the game disk and some even ran the game ok with one core disabled.

dx90c a must for best operation.

If your game is not current patch, download the G3 patch 1.6 and install it.

User Info: Aquatakat

Aquatakat
8 years ago#3
Install the DirectX that comes on the disc. It doesn't overwrite your current DirectX, it just adds DLLs to it.
Here is a web site for your entertainment and perusal:
http://aquatakat.com/

User Info: Aquatakat

Aquatakat
8 years ago#4
Oh and make sure you install this:

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286
Here is a web site for your entertainment and perusal:
http://aquatakat.com/

User Info: Hildewulf

Hildewulf
8 years ago#5
You need a dedicated video card to run most 3d video games like Gothic 3. You don't have a dedicated video card. Your ATI 3200 graphics is motherboard-based video and is not powerful enough for modern gaming.

If you want to game, take your computer back to Best Buy and ask them to install a video card for you. A good, inexpensive gaming choice right now would be an ATI 4850. It'll probably run you about $120. The rest of your hardware is fine.

Good luck!

Oh, and uninstall Dungeon Lords right now. It's buggy, unfinished trash. Don't waste your time.
  1. Boards
  2. Gothic 3
  3. please help! i can not get the game to start!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived