noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 month ago#11
Or maybe just keep playing. So, mission 5 we learn about money and factories and adding units and such. Just beat it, though could have done things better (capturing the city right next to my buildings the first couple of turns would be one of those. Using Jake's Super Power at the end of my turn would be another), and thankfully, Koal decided to sit on most of his money rather than spend it (proving the old adage that he who dies with the most money, still dies). I also earned less than 300 points (258) and earned an A rank, so I guess my S ranks were actually the top marks. Lost points on this one for speed (took 14 days to defeat all the enemies) and technique (prolly going to be missing a lot of those points going forward, see notes above), though I got all 100 points for power. Still not sure what the exp points are good for, but that'll prolly come up the next few missions/once I hit the next level or some benchmark. Looks like naval fighting is up next, though.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 month ago#12
The exp are for CO...
Higher ranks yields more skills.
Also for extras in shop later.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#13
One more mission down
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

skater43
1 month ago#14
Yeah, I've used Jake for the couple of missions I've gotten to pick the CO, just to focus on earning points for him and he just got promoted to rank 1. They talked about getting up to rank 10 which says to me there's a lot of missions here. Not complaining, just commenting that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

Just beat mission 8. Went to day 20, but I still got 90+ points for speed, so I guess they expected that mission to be a knock down, drug out fight. Technique is still lacking, but I've managed to get 100 points in power every time. Can't say I get the tag team stuff, but looks like they'll be go over it in mission 9 (or other soon to come mission).
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
1 month ago#15
With tag team apparently when you use it to get to attack twice with all your affected units. Plus the CO bonus...
Very cheap, really turns things a bit.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
1 month ago#16
skater43 posted...
Apparently, I'm earning money, but haven't seen how to spend it yet, and still working on resupplying units. We'll see how things go, and I may just have to look for a copy of the manual/check one of the guides here.

There's a shop ("Battle Maps") on page 2 of the main menu.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

skater43
1 month ago#17
Thanks, gm. Yeah, as I suspected, mission 9 was all about using tag team. That was another 20 fight, so I'm not going to be breaking any speed records this time, but I did win. Couple of things I could have done differently. First, was using the tag team more frequently/as soon as it's available. Near as I can tell, there's no reason to sit on it being available, so next time, I'll need to use it more (beat mission 10 before everyone's stars filled up, so didn't have it available to use there). Also, I beat the map by destroying the black crystal, but that was more by accident. Should have checked the intel for victory conditions, but didn't know there were other ones besides "kill 'em all" and "take HQ". But, now I do know, so I can look at that at the start of each mission.

As I said, also beat mission 10. Could have done that one faster, too. Took out the battleship early, and did damage to the black boats, but should have gotten a couple of tanks over to the HQ area sooner to take out the artillery there, then capture it. As it was, I went with "kill 'em all" for victory and as such, my troops were starting to get pretty low, too. Only earned a B rank on that one, losing points for speed and technique, but that wasn't really unexpected.

I see that now, Xenesis, thanks. Haven't bought anything or really scoped it out, but I'll take a gander at it at some point.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#18
Oh goodie....
Out one tricky mission and into another...
:/

skater43
1 month ago#19
Won't say it's a tricky mission, but I'll be redoing mission 11. Spent a good hour, hour and a half on it before throwing in the towel. Orange had been wiped out, blue was outnumbered (sheer numbers, black only had a couple more units than blue, but about a third of blue's units were transport vehicles) and prolly out-citied. Waited until day 24, but prolly should have cut bait sooner. But, I'll see about taking another crack at it before work. At least this time I know where the lab/objective lies, so I have some sense of direction/area of focus. Overall, though, not sure how I'll go about things, but I'll figure something out.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#20
Wait till 15 and up...
Worse thing is...
The most annoying ones yet to come.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.