noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 month ago#31
Thanks for the clarification, Xenesis. They definitely helped to weaken the enemy, so we'll see what we can do with them in later missions.

Well, pattern broken. Managed to beat mission 15 on my first try. Frankly, I was a little apprehensive given that there was a time limit, but I managed to finish with a couple of days to spare. Started out okay, then the green team started charging through the mountain pass and I was a bit worried, but I was able to whittle away at their forces. Blue team did capture a factory late, but that only contributed a couple of units. Red did help in that regard, though, with some fresh troops. Can't say they did much damage, but they were taking hits so blue wasn't, so they served a purpose. Beat the mission by destroying all the units, but I did have a couple of infantry units going towards the green HQ once I realized it was unguarded. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have had enough time to get them to the base and capture within the time limit, certainly would have been close, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to take out the megatank in time, either. Fortunately, red team got a tag and Rachel dropped a couple of bombs on it to several hurt it. Artillery and some tanks finished it off. So, onto the next one. Looks like we get to deal with more snow.

I hear ya, gm. Can't say I like the fog of war either, but does make for more realism.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 month ago#32
And here comes some difficulty curves....
Finishing another decent mission soon...
22 is first of many rage inducing likely moments.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#33
Salty vet gonna be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow...
Will blow up the satellite after I return.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

skater43
1 month ago#34
All right, man, have a good time.

Took a shot at mission 16 earlier today and failed miserably, so we'll try that one again tomorrow.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
1 month ago#35
skater43 posted...
All right, man, have a good time.

Took a shot at mission 16 earlier today and failed miserably, so we'll try that one again tomorrow.

Yeah 22 and beyond gonna smack you like a newborn.

skater43
1 month ago#36
Yeah, can't say I'm looking forward to later missions if I'm having trouble with these ones. But we'll see. So far, I've been able to beat every mission on either the first or second try, so I guess that counts for something.

So mission 16 completed. Nothing fancy, just made a beeline for the turrets and took them out before the enemy got near/did much damage. I didn't get the map, though, and that was a tactical error on my part. My first attempt, I sent a couple of infantry units over to the island and they got demolished by the pipe guns. This time, I figured I wouldn't bother with the island, so loaded up the infantry guys with the idea of landing them near the turrets. About halfway there, I realized they wouldn't do much good over there, and the pipe guns were well on their way around the pipes, so started moving the lander back towards the island in hopes of taking it while the pipe guns were distracted elsewhere. And I prolly could have, but I was also more focused on taking out the turrets and the enemy was starting to get over to that part of the map, so I just blew up the turrets and called it good. Finished on day 7 which is one of my faster finishes. Only lost a couple of units, so got full points on this mission, plus bonus points for taking out the three turrets and 1 section of pipe. Still haven't spent any of these points, but I'll look into that at some point. So, onto mission 17.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#37
Well I can't resume until 14th at earliest. Keep it up
Dusted off my old account to wish you two luck on the run and pass on what I remember.

Mission 22 is definitely where I remember the difficulty spike for Normal Campaign. You have to be really careful about when the enemy pops their Tag CO Power as the AI will try its best to beat you to Red and Green team's set of silos.

If you want to level everyone up relatively quickly, keep a spare save for Mission 20. Save in a different slot once you beat it and keep cycling through it while clearing all the enemies. Don't worry about speed, the bonus points will be more than enough if you win.

Good luck on the run!

skater43
1 month ago#39
Thanks, Chameleon. I've heard of that trick, but haven't used it yet. Figure I'll do as much as I can without it, then use it to pick up a couple extra levels later if I feel I need them. However, I haven't been utilizing all my COs as much as maybe I should, and have always gone with the defaults at the start of each mission, so Rachel (rank 2, 800+ exp points) and Jake (rank 3, 500+ exp) are starting to get up there some in levels, just because I've used them so frequently (top 3 COs are Jake with 13 missions, Rachel with 10 and Colin with 4). I know Colin gets a discount on buying new units, but otherwise, I haven't seen a difference in the COs, so no need to swap them around. I'm guessing there are slight differences especially when AI controlled, so hardcore players swap them around and know who's best for which missions and such, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.

Mission 17 done. Actually, this was a pretty easy mission. Lost some points on speed, as it took me 22 days or so, but I was pretty much in control the whole fight. Sent all available planes up to the second front, so Rachel had little trouble winning that for me. Noted that the enemy didn't have any factories, and there was only one it could get to, so I made sure to take out the pipeline in the way and capture that factory first. That and send a helicopter over to harass/take out the infantry units. Used one infantry unit to take over the com towers, and the other couple just to take cities. Little issue near the end as I had a bunch of cruisers and aircraft carriers, which are great against sea and air units, but useless against ground ones, which were all that was left of the enemies. But, I was able to save and buy a couple of battleships, so those made a difference. And got some units over to free the carriers in the lower right corner, so their stealth fighters were available. And, just because I could, I destroyed all the enemy units. Once I was done to just his missiles and artillery and stuff, there was really no reason to wipe out everything, other than humiliating the enemy and shear joy. So I only got 85 points for speed on this one, but full points for power and technique (lost some units, but not a lot), plus bonus points for taking out the minicannons and 5 sections of pipe. Pretty sure 350 points is the most I've earned for any mission. So, onto the next one.

skater43
1 month ago#40
Mission 18 is making me have a bad feeling about mission 22+. First attempt was an unmidicated disaster. Naturally, it was a megatank unit that found the black blob, so next round, there went one of my best offensive units. Overall, by day 3, I was pretty much outmatched and by day 8 was defeated, having lost every unit. Attempt 2 went better, but not great. Was doing okay until an early tag by the enemy, definitely put things in their favor. Blue team didn't have much of a chance, they were pretty much gone by day 6, but orange was doing okay. Until I ran into the second blob (first one took out 2 AA units and a weakened tank unit, so it did some damage, too, despite my efforts to avoid it). Again, it was my high offense units that found it, and were decimated by it. Enemy making it to the silos didn't help either. Something I need to keep an eye on is both attempts, I loaded a unit into an APC, sent it down towards the com tower on the bottom and either unloaded it both times inadvertently, or there's a glitch or something because I'd get close to the tower and no longer have the unit in the APC. So next attempt, I need to watch that, make sure I'm not messing up.

2 questions about this mission. First, because of the black blobs, my only real chance of winning is to take the HQ, right? I mean, intel says I can win by destroying all the units, but my understanding is I don't have anything that will take out the blobs, so can't win that way. Secondly, is there any point to capturing cities here? I know they get you more money and such, but without any factories (yes, there's an airport and attempt 2, I was able to capture it and tried to transport units to HQ but was too weak at that point to do any real damage. Enemy tag at the end wiped put my last infantry unit, who had at least landed on the HQ, but that was that), money doesn't seem to be worth anything here.

edit: nevemind on the questions. This is what I get for typing while playing. Apparently, bombers can take out the blobs (and vice versa, not sure how that works since the blobs are on the ground and the bombers are flying), so I was able to take out both of those. Money is helping here as I can create more air units. Right now, I've got just one enemy unit left, and not sure where it is. But I'm making T copters each round, just because they're the cheapest, and using those as recon. Still have 2 bombers, so I'll be able to take out whatever I find, I just need to find it. Oh, good. Just found it. And it's just an APC, so no more losing of my units. Well, except that one bomber group that ran out of fuel. Yeah, not going to get high points for technique on this one. Or speed. Okay, day 37 we finally win. But yeah, future missions aren't looking good. But we'll see. Yup. 100 points for power, no surprise there. But only 52 for speed and 44 for technique. But 80 points for taking out the blobs, so that's a plus. Overall, a C rank, but a victory's a victory. Especially since I was ready to write this attempt off. But, streak continues. So far, never taken more than 2 attempts to beat a mission.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.