noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#71
There's plenty of guides as a last resort....
I'm not taking chances at this point with how annoying that mission was.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 weeks ago#72
Well, after a rather long slogfest, mission 21 is beat! Same attempt as the other day, I just had stuff going yesterday and this morning, so it took a while to get through. After about day 10 or so, I won't say I was in control, but I was slowly starting to outproduce the enemy, starting to turn the tide. A enemy tag nearly wiped out red team, but they hung on. Frankly, I could have ended things earlier had I gone after the objectives more, rather than fighting all the enemies. Finally took out the big canon on day 30, but again, could have done that earlier if I'd made it more of a priority (and really, should have, because it did a lot of damage over the course of the battle). And the obelisk could have gone down sooner, too, with blue and red teams' rockets, but I was focusing more on all the enemy units. But, day 32, blue team finished it off. Earned me 290 points and a C ranking, and a lot of that was bonus points. Took out both the blobs, the big canon, section of pipe and the obelisk, so there's half my points (145) right there. 67 points for speed, which surprised me I got that many since, as I said, it was day 32 before I won. Only 37 for power, though, which really surprised me. enemy was down to 12 units when I won, and I took out quite a few of theirs. Technique got me 41 points and that didn't surprise me. I lost a ton of units, including a few on purpose to temporarily plug a gap or something. Final score of units lost was 77 for all my teams, 65 for the enemy. But, we finally won. Now onto the next fun adventure. :)
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#73
It's not fun at all.
Next mission you can't make new units and the one after the enemy CO has an annoying ability.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

skater43
3 weeks ago#74
Yeah, I've started 22, though I'm only a couple of days in. Thinking having red go for the enemy cities is/was prolly a waste of time, but not sure what else they'd do. Haven't tried breaching the pipe yet, but I guess my plan is to concentrate everyone by an opening, bust it down and charge through, picking off some of the enemy with artillery and rockets in the meantime if I can. I suspect this one's going to take a few tries as well.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#75
My strategy was simply....
Bait, hit and run....
Repeat until most forces are done....
Then charge in while blowing up the mini canon.
I mean heck I stalled until the mega tank ran out of gas and was just a useless clump of metal to blow up.

skater43
3 weeks ago#76
Got close but not quite (had them down to a megatank, artillery and AA gun, none at full strength, but I didn't have anything to take them out/stop them from going back to the cities to heal up). After posting, I learned having the red team take the enemy cities wasn't pointless after all, so that was good. Also discovered the weak points in the pipe only took one hit to destroy, where I thought they usually took 2 or 3, so that caught me by surprise some. Had the default COs, which will prolly work, though I should have changed from Colin to Sasha early on the green team. No need to buy anything and Market Crash would have helped prevent a tag that did a lot of damage. According to the chatter after you lose, the enemy will come through the pipe themselves, so going for a more defensive strat might be the wise move. So, we'll try again and see how it goes.

skater43
3 weeks ago#77
And we have victory. Took another 6 or 7 tries and even my successful attempt wasn't pretty, but a win's a win. Red captured the two cities straight off, no reason for them to do anything else, then head back to the missiles and wait for the best chances to use them. Had blue and green mostly sit back and wait for the enemy to come to them. As I said, wasn't a pretty victory and I still lost most of my troops, but green had enough to get the win. Or, would have, since the enemy's last unit was just an APC. But I'd been moving red forward at that point and capturing the capitol was faster and easier. Day 11 or 12 or so, but I still got 95 points for speed. 89 for technique was also a bit of a surprise. But 0 points for power, that one caught me completely off-guard. As I said, I took out all their units except an APC, so not sure how that earned me no points, but there you go. So, onto mission 23 we go.

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#78
23 will have fog of war...
Rain...
Stupid enemy co power...
Yeah I'm using a video guide because screw the unbalance!!!

User Info: Changlini

Changlini
3 weeks ago#79
Loved it when Grit and max freak out about the weather, It's like they know how much of a pain that mission is going to be.

If that's the level I'm thinking of, then my biggest problem with it was keeping the navy useful and not dead(unless that was hard mode). Goodluck.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: DemonKingu

DemonKingu
2 weeks ago#80
skater43 posted...
And we have victory. Took another 6 or 7 tries and even my successful attempt wasn't pretty, but a win's a win. Red captured the two cities straight off, no reason for them to do anything else, then head back to the missiles and wait for the best chances to use them. Had blue and green mostly sit back and wait for the enemy to come to them. As I said, wasn't a pretty victory and I still lost most of my troops, but green had enough to get the win. Or, would have, since the enemy's last unit was just an APC. But I'd been moving red forward at that point and capturing the capitol was faster and easier. Day 11 or 12 or so, but I still got 95 points for speed. 89 for technique was also a bit of a surprise. But 0 points for power, that one caught me completely off-guard. As I said, I took out all their units except an APC, so not sure how that earned me no points, but there you go. So, onto mission 23 we go.

You captured the HQ with a team that scored no kills. The team that completes the mission objective is the one that counts for power and technique scores.
http://www.warsworldnews.com | Advance Wars website and community
We are on Discord! Visit us at: https://discord.gg/8FQ54Sf
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.