noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

User Info: skater43

skater43
2 weeks ago#81
Good to know, DemonKingu. I mean, I wouldn't have changed my strategy as there was little reason not to have red rush in and take the capitol (other than the lack of points), but that might be something I'll keep in mind for future missions.

I hear ya, gm. This mission sucks. Don't even know how to really start. I mean, blue pretty much has to sit around the first couple of days and wait for the rain or the missiles will just pick them off. And not sure what to do with red. I guess capture a couple of the nearby cities and I guess go over to take the com centers/shipyard. And I guess have the rest of my units sit back and wait for the enemy to run into them to give me the advantage/initiative. But yeah, not really sure here.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#82
Current feeling on the mission...
😤😡😒🙄😩😫
🤔
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

skater43
2 weeks ago#83
Currently working on this and doing okay. Using Sasha and Colin on blue team and had an awesome market crash that completely wiped out both enemy COs star meters. Not following it exactly, especially the red team, but I did like what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aF0gZZaaY&index=41&list=PL60725F68689D9215 did at the beginning/how he used blue. First two rounds do basically nothing. After the rain, get up to the edge of the forest (unfortunately, I had an enemy bump into one of my units on the edge, so that cost me a little). Then rush the missiles/artillery, etc. I haven't watched to see how he finishes things, but from what I read, looks like capture the HQ is the way to go here (using ultra-skilled COs, taking the HQ on day 2 or 3 is not unheard of [https://www.speedrun.com/run/zpqno2ny 55 minute mark]. For us more casual players, it'll take a few more days). Considering my red team doesn't have much of a navy left, that's the route I'm taking. As I said, things seem to be going okay, though I don't know what he's got around the HQ yet. And he's got a battleship in the middle of a lake (no, not going to ask how it got there) that I need to see about taking out. But, actually seeing some hope here.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

skater43
2 weeks ago#84
Success! Finished up yesterday's game just now. Ended up going for a total annihilation victory, just to rub it in their faces. Had a blue unit sitting on their capitol and though weakened, was one turn away from completing the capture. But I spent an extra 8 or 9 days hunting down the rest of their units. Had one of my guys sitting on their factory, which prolly isn't cricket, except all's fair in love and war and all that. The hard part was at that point, he mostly had naval units left, so I had to scour the seas to find his ships, then sink them. Blue did take the airport, so I was sending bombers out to do the dirty work. Enemy did get a Tsunami off near the end, which was more of a nuisance than anything, though it did cost me a bomber or two because I didn't get them back to the airport in time to refuel. Three successful Market Crashes saved my bacon, though. Nothing like seeing the enemy's star meters go from both completely full to both completely empty. Also managed to earn an A rank, with max points in power, 90 in speed and 80 technique, so that was pretty nice. Was enough to get Sasha and Colin up to rank 2 (Rachel and Jake were my red team, they're rank 4 and 5 respectively)

Basic strat was blue sit tight the first couple of rounds, then head to the edge of the forest, then rush all the artillery, missiles, etc. to take those out. Had red work it's way forward, capturing as much stuff as they could. Used a lander to send a unit over to take the com towers, so that helped with the offense. Battleship hung out near shore to bombard stuff but otherwise I didn't care much about the navy. Once you get past the first few days and blue can join in the fighting, it's just a matter of chipping away at their units as you find them/they come to you. So onto mission 24: Ring of Fire, which does not sound like it'll be a happy time. I suspect we're going to be encircled and have to bust our way or something, but we shall see.

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#85
Guess it's my turn soon
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#86
Bested with S rank...
Followed video mostly and worked around after 2/3...
294 points.

Let's see how next one is

Edit: dammit!!! 18 days to win
(edited 2 weeks ago)

skater43
2 weeks ago#87
Congrats, man. Haven't had a chance to fire up the next mission yet, so don't know what we're in for, either. Guessing it's prolly not going to be a cakewalk, though. :)

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#88
Well by any means necessary I'll beat the mission one day at a time.
Those videos help much

skater43
2 weeks ago#89
I've fired it up and started it. Don't know that I'm doing that well, but we'll see. Actually had things backwards. We've got the enemy surrounded and need to force our way in. 18 days to destroy the enemy. Top and bottom screens (I currently having the AI do the top screen, but I may switch that out later/future attempts). Oh yeah, and a couple of active volcanoes the enemy controls. Yeah, looks like another humdinger.

gamemaster712
1 week ago#90
Well it's the last few missions so no fun it is...
Days of ruin will stymie you big time near end...
Which I look forward to our play.

Edit: use grit for that volcano mission, especially on first front. Second front hawke is good candidate and maybe some other powerhouse.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. noob and a salty vet take a crack at this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.