This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much data does a serious Xbox gamer use monthly?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. How much data does a serious Xbox gamer use monthly?

User Info: ADG_Snake99

ADG_Snake99
5 years ago#1
I ask because we have a limited data plan and my landlord has been questioning us whenever it goes over the limit. So I'm generally online for the better part of everyday (playing multiplayer about 30% of the time as well as being in party chat about 80% of the time). I don't know if I'm to blame for a significant chunk of data usage or if I can honestly just blame my roommates.
Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried nailing Jell-O to a tree.

User Info: zerodefect

zerodefect
5 years ago#2
As long as your not downloading games or watching tons of Netflix, I would say your not to blame. Just gaming doesn't use much bandwidth. On Xbox Live's website states it uses about 10-15mb per hour generally, but I use 25-35mb per hour by checking my access logs. Depends on the game really, but honestly, I doubt you would run over any caps just by playing Xbox.

User Info: darkshadowmaster

darkshadowmaster
5 years ago#3
Regular gaming wouldn't do anything really noticable.

Now downloading games/patches could get you though.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

User Info: captpluto99

captpluto99
5 years ago#4
Demos and XBLA games of course would take up a lot, but you can just say your friends are downloading pirated movies. ;-)

User Info: ADG_Snake99

ADG_Snake99
5 years ago#5
Alright, thanks for the reassurance. I don't generally download anything and Im not subscribed the Netflix. My landlord was trying to convince me that, "playing Minecraft on the Xbox takes up a lot of juice." Haha I don't think he knows what he's talkin about.
Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried nailing Jell-O to a tree.

User Info: crynryan

crynryan
5 years ago#6
Xbox games are made to work under 8 KB/s. At max, it would take about two minutes to send a megabyte (this includes voice chat). Keep in mind that no game will ever really use anymore than 4 KB/s. For example:

Gears 3 uses ~400 bytes/s if you're not host, and ~600 bytes/s per person if you are host.
COD:MW3 uses ~200 bytes/s if you're not host, and ~400 bytes/s per person if you are host.
Got any ideas to make a game with? Hit me up with them if you do.

User Info: Superlinkbros89

Superlinkbros89
5 years ago#7
Slap your landlord in the face for having a cap data plan in the first place, I could never live with one of those.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros 2, Bowsers Inside Story, Minecraft

User Info: yankee6903

yankee6903
5 years ago#8
Dude get your pale self out sometimes.
PSN: Houseof1kCorpzes GT:Housof1kCorpses
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. How much data does a serious Xbox gamer use monthly?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived