This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My patches disappeared, my save files are corrupted - WTF?!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. My patches disappeared, my save files are corrupted - WTF?!

User Info: Sketcz

Sketcz
5 years ago#11
My games were all bought second hand, about $1-$10 a piece. The most expensive was The Witcher 2 ($30), which I've not actually played yet. Sneak King was $1. I knew what I wanted, since I've only now bought a 360. So I bulked out.

The Nin 2 Jump problem might actually be a trophy related glitch as a result of not having a patch, since it ended up getting lost.

Alaskan Storm is real, I can screengrab the loading screen if you really don't believe me.

As for the cache, most forums recommend clearing it whenever something seems awry, which is what I did when some games starting freezine (Spectral Force 3, Deadly Prem, and Space Giraffe).

I suppose it's my fault for clearing the cache, but COME ON. How utterly stupid is it that these patches are saved in the cache rather than permenantly on the HDD?

User Info: zyxomma100

zyxomma100
5 years ago#12
I suppose it's my fault for clearing the cache, but COME ON. How utterly stupid is it that these patches are saved in the cache rather than permenantly on the HDD?

Very stupid.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, though.

The 360 used to have a patch size limit of 4 MB, and all patches were stored in the rolling cache. Yes, it was a horrible design flaw that can be traced back to MS's very idiotic decision to not make the hard drive a mandatory piece of hardware. Unfortunately, since the majority of gamers are online a majority of the time anyway (even if not paying for Gold), it doesn't affect many people. This means we won't face the full ramifications of this terrible decision until the 360 stops being supported through Live, at which point anyone still playing the system will face problems similar to the TC. (UNLESS MS somehow fixes this problem in a firmware update, which IMO should be a top priority.)

TC, in all likelihood, your saves are not corrupted, but they've simply been made with a later, patched version of the game, and you're now trying to access these saves with an unpatched version of the game. That's a big no-no, although not really your fault. If you make sure that the game is patched, your saves should come out just fine, unless you overwrote them with the unpatched version of the game, which is totally your fault.

Games made since 2008-9 or so have supported a newer, much better patch system where there is no patch size limit and they are stored permanently. (Deletable at user option, though, which is nice.) This didn't retroactively change old games, however.

Someone a couple of weeks ago posted a seemingly wonderful website which allows users to download patches to your computer. There was a detailed method on the site on how to place these patches on a flash drive in a way that the 360 recognizes them and uses them. Anyone have the link? (Or Google?)

Sketcz
5 years ago#13
Thanks for the detailed reply. I lost the N2J save since I overwrote it, but don't mind too much since I have all the achievements, and the score attack mode is unlocked by default.

The others which brought up warning messages are a concern though.

Most of the disc games are old (Bulletwitch, Onechanbara, Alaskan Storm etc). I checked my internal storage and the HDD, and found no mention of patches for newer games (not sure if they're maybe not new enough). Just install data and save data. Unless the patch data for some games is somehow absorbed into the install data.

Question:
Has the rolling nature of the cache been resolved, or can it still only hold around 10 patches (or up to a certain size)?

I think I've got most of my favourite games patched now (Fez, Perfect Dark, etc), because I load them up and it doesn't ask to download another patch. So if it is a rolling system, I just won't get any others patched. I don't want to end up patching something new, and an old patch disappears.

This is what annoys me - if what I've read is true, then the 360 simply decides to delete older patches just because you perhaps haven't played that game in a few days. I want the patches on my HDD for the life of the hardware.

User Info: kingwutugu

kingwutugu
5 years ago#14
Sketcz posted...
I want the patches on my HDD for the life of the hardware.

me too, but most games are playable without them I suppose, only game that will suck if you can't patch in the future is Monster Madness.
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win

User Info: squarex8264

squarex8264
5 years ago#15
Sketcz posted...
This is what annoys me - if what I've read is true, then the 360 simply decides to delete older patches just because you perhaps haven't played that game in a few days. I want the patches on my HDD for the life of the hardware.

This is not true. Older games are patched in a rolling cache, and the patches are stored in some type of priority queue. I'm guessing when it deletes a patch, it will delete the oldest patch it has stored which you have not played recently. But it won't delete the patch until you are prompted to download another patch... it's not going to randomly delete patches on its own.

As the above user said, newer games now store their patches alongside the game save in the storage device. But older games like you mentioned will put their patches in the rolling cache. The two games you mentioned (Nin2-Jump and Fez) also had issues with their saves being lost between patches independent of the patching process. Read up on those game forums and you'll see people complaining about lost save glitches which are caused by bugs in the game unfortunately.

Since you want to be offline for long stretches of time with older games, you should just update a few of your favorite games and play those until you jump online again. If you patch too many, you'll be overwriting the first games that you updated and playing those without a patch, which could be fine depending on the game.

Hope that helps.
Gamertag: Squ4rex

User Info: MrSCARY

MrSCARY
5 years ago#16
Why would you constantly unplug the thing in the first place and why don't you keep it connected to live?

Is it some strange tick or compulsion?

Seems like you could avoid most of the trouble you are having by simply leaving it connected
Whatever.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
5 years ago#17
And in terms of the clock resetting, I don't know. I've had the power go out here and the clock doesn't reset. Then again, I'm always connected to live, so maybe that corrects it.

There's no battery on the motherboard to supply power to the part that holds the time, so it relies on a mains connection.
If you unplug it, the time will reset to a factory default. If you connect to Live, it searches for the time and adjusts it appropriately.

Really there's no need to unplug your console every night unless plug sockets are scarce and you need to swap it out.
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."

User Info: zerodefect

zerodefect
5 years ago#18
TC, please post your few week old gamertag with 40 games on it so we can help diagnose your problems =p

User Info: zyxomma100

zyxomma100
5 years ago#19
This is not true. Older games are patched in a rolling cache, and the patches are stored in some type of priority queue. I'm guessing when it deletes a patch, it will delete the oldest patch it has stored which you have not played recently. But it won't delete the patch until you are prompted to download another patch... it's not going to randomly delete patches on its own.

Quoting this because it's the most important part of his post... although the rest is spot on, too.

I checked my internal storage and the HDD, and found no mention of patches for newer games (not sure if they're maybe not new enough). Just install data and save data. Unless the patch data for some games is somehow absorbed into the install data.

I have no idea when games started using the permanent patch system. I said 2008-9, but that was a mostly random guess. The oldest game that I can confirm off the top of my head with a permanent patch is Rock Band 3, and that came out in late 2010. I don't really keep track, though.

If the patch is "permanent," it will be listed there as a separate entry called a "Title Update" which you can delete should you choose.

Sketcz
5 years ago#20
Thanks Zyx, looks like I'll have to keep an eye on my set-up a lot more from now on.

My gamertag has 29 games listed on it, and doesn't include XBLIG games or those I've not bothered installing/booting yet. I don't feel like sharing it with anyone. :-p

MrSCARY posted...
Why would you constantly unplug the thing in the first place and why don't you keep it connected to live?
Is it some strange tick or compulsion?
Seems like you could avoid most of the trouble you are having by simply leaving it connected

I wish I could!

I live in a rural area with a flaky at best broadband connection. It's about 2.2mb according to my computer. The router I use cuts out frequently, and needs resetting (pulling the power, plugging it back in, waiting a while). It's a major pain in the ass to keep the router always on, and at best I get a few hours constant connection.

I use an Alcatel USB modem to connect my PC to the internet via dial-up broadband. It's much more stable and never flakes out. I dial up when I need to, and everything works. I only put my router on for updating my consoles, and even then I have to regularly stop and start. :(

If the next generation, or the generation after that, of consoles is online only, then by default I won't be taking part.

I have to say this about the 360 though, it's much faster than the PS3 when it comes to downloading the same-size of game/demo. MS clearly keep their servers well greased.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. My patches disappeared, my save files are corrupted - WTF?!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived