This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What should Microsoft do to the Xbox 360 now? Discuss!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. What should Microsoft do to the Xbox 360 now? Discuss!

User Info: cataclisma

cataclisma
2 months ago#1
It's been 4 years since Microsoft released the Xbox One. Microsoft is increasing the number of avaliable retrocompatibility games on the XONE. Let's discuss the future of the X360!

1.The Xbox Store is not going down because people still buying X360 games, and they are avaliable on XONE.
2.Servers are not going down too. People still playing X360 online multiplayer games (even on XONE by retrocompatibility).
3.Personally, I think Microsoft should release a new dashboard. The X360 dashboard has too many effects and newer games suffer from this. Newer games can crash if the Xbox Guide button is pressed.

User Info: TsC_PoLiTiKz

TsC_PoLiTiKz
2 months ago#2
Servers will go down. XONE's BC doesn't mean X360 games have a huge new breath of life in their online multiplayer. May get a short-term shot in the arm, but that's about it.

Just like when they discontinued OG Xbox's online services despite a few games still having communities, it will indeed happen here as well.

Other than that, #1 is valid, but #3 would be a lot of work for outdated hardware.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (XONE); Splatoon (Wii U); Zombie U (Wii U); The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA); Super Mario Run (Android)

User Info: TyrianMollusk

TyrianMollusk
2 months ago#3
They ought to roll the 360 (and oxbox) into the xbone completely.

When they do, I will care about the xbone. Until then, I hope they leave it alone.

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
2 months ago#4
Still waiting on my region free patch, stop trolling me Microsoft.

User Info: zeldafanjtl

zeldafanjtl
2 months ago#5
I don't think you can really compare backwards compatibility between the two platforms. On 360, to play an OG Xbox game, you just had to download an emulator, and then you could play the game off the disc. It didn't rely on original Xbox Live except for multiplayer and DLC. Even when digital OG Xbox games came out, they were on the 360 marketplace.

On Xbox One, all 360 content is still coming from the 360 marketplace; even when you play a 360 game off a disc, you're still just downloading a digital copy of the game.

Multiplayer services are just peer to peer matchmaking; Microsoft doesn't run dedicated servers for anything except a few first party games. Shutting down 360 Live would likely mean ending backwards compatibility on Xbox One. For that reason I really doubt 360 Live will die any time soon. Maybe someday when the Xbox One's successor arrives? But if last gen was any indication, that's a long way off.
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
2 months ago#6
360 Live will probably last longer than PS3 online. Sony does not care about BC anymore. Frankly MS can do nothing and it is still better than the competition.
lovecraft223

User Info: SpiritRover

SpiritRover
2 months ago#7
excitebike64 posted...
360 Live will probably last longer than PS3 online. Sony does not care about BC anymore. Frankly MS can do nothing and it is still better than the competition.

Both you and zeldafanjtl raise good points. We also have to factor in the fact that Xbox Live Gold subscriptions are still being purchased by X360 owners (there are indeed some happy X360 owners out there who have massive backlogs and still renew their Gold).

The X360's online functionality is being used for XB1 BC as well -- even the existing digital storefront has to be up in order to allow the XB1 to access/handle transactions for BC games. The P2P matchmaking is also vital for BC (if the buyer intends to play an X360 game online thru an XB1). When Phil Spencer originally denied the "servers going off rumor", this is what he was referring to.

Unless someone *suddenly* loses their mind at Microsoft, the Xbox 360's online functionality is very likely to remain fully intact and available... at least until the "true" next generation starts. Even then, they could still decide to continue to embrace retrogaming and keep connectivity around, since services like Steam etc. embrace games from many different eras. Money is money.

Microsoft is becoming much more focused on opening channels to sell their content and subscriptions to consumers... and any 'Xbox' console connected to Xbox Live gives them a means to do that.

On the other hand, the PS3 is in a whole different situation.

User Info: twa556

twa556
2 months ago#8
excitebike64 posted...

The PSN's are all linked, I'm not even sure if its possible to shut one down without the other. Most, if not all, PSP online games have been shut down individually, but the infrastructure for online games is still there. For psp games.
PSP.

If a developer wanted to make a new PSP game with online play that is still a possibility. Do you think they would shut down PS3 psn with that still being the case? I hate people that don't do any research and just talk out of their ass.
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe

excitebike64
2 months ago#9
twa556 posted...
excitebike64 posted...

The PSN's are all linked, I'm not even sure if its possible to shut one down without the other. Most, if not all, PSP online games have been shut down individually, but the infrastructure for online games is still there. For psp games.
PSP.

If a developer wanted to make a new PSP game with online play that is still a possibility. Do you think they would shut down PS3 psn with that still being the case? I hate people that don't do any research and just talk out of their ass.

I fail to see the point. Sony is top dog again and vocally have spoken against BC with PR by saying gamers don't play old games. Never once mentioning they believe in supporting the old consoles.

I see it as giving people false hope in digital fairness when it never was. Whenever PS5 comes is when I see older systems getting butchered by Sony. Their excuse will be gamers don't like or play old games.

It is in the realm of possibility, at least. Probably on some executive white board to at least consider.
lovecraft223

excitebike64
2 months ago#10
I will add that PS3 support still has a few years. Sony has released new presses of old releases with updated download codes good till 2019. So I'm not saying it is imminent; I am just saying Sony's PR is strongly leaning against keeping the old structures, forever; where as MS is committing themselves to BC in a very big way - making 360 Live more important for their business model.

MS has a different approach with consoles vs their Windows strategy.
lovecraft223
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. What should Microsoft do to the Xbox 360 now? Discuss!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived