This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why new Gamers should get an xbox 360 and not an xbox one or ps4

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Why new Gamers should get an xbox 360 and not an xbox one or ps4

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
2 months ago#21
FireDrakeZ posted...
I have used the HBO GO app on my Xbox 360. I haven't had any problems with it watching movies and tv series. In fact I have binged watched entire seasons of Game of Thrones or Rome on my Xbox 360 without any hiccups and it looks terrific on HD.

I'm actually glad to hear that it does, I've not used the HBO app.

I was referring to the apps like Crackle, Tubit-Tv, Fox, CW, Popcornflix, and the like.

Seriously, I've not had one of them work well enough to watch something longer than 30 minutes without it screwing up.

And of course, a lot of the other video apps simply aren't even there any more, or at least, have reported back as "not available" every time I've tried for the last 6 months or so at least.

The problem with the 360 specifically is due to MS attempting to shoehorn as much of Windows 10 into it as they could, when the 360's hardware was never meant to run something like that. That's why nowdays every action you do on the dash takes 1.7 billion years (obviously exaggerating, but still).

MS should have really left the dash firmware back in the NXE format right before the current tiles. I liked the original blades format even better, but at least the NXE format was the last one I remember running relatively smoothly.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
2 months ago#22
JoboHotep posted...
FireDrakeZ posted...
I have used the HBO GO app on my Xbox 360. I haven't had any problems with it watching movies and tv series. In fact I have binged watched entire seasons of Game of Thrones or Rome on my Xbox 360 without any hiccups and it looks terrific on HD.

I'm actually glad to hear that it does, I've not used the HBO app.

I was referring to the apps like Crackle, Tubit-Tv, Fox, CW, Popcornflix, and the like.

Seriously, I've not had one of them work well enough to watch something longer than 30 minutes without it screwing up.

And of course, a lot of the other video apps simply aren't even there any more, or at least, have reported back as "not available" every time I've tried for the last 6 months or so at least.

The problem with the 360 specifically is due to MS attempting to shoehorn as much of Windows 10 into it as they could, when the 360's hardware was never meant to run something like that. That's why nowdays every action you do on the dash takes 1.7 billion years (obviously exaggerating, but still).

MS should have really left the dash firmware back in the NXE format right before the current tiles. I liked the original blades format even better, but at least the NXE format was the last one I remember running relatively smoothly.

I believed I have used Crackle in the past. I just don't remember if I have had issues with it on the Xbox 360. I do remember being annoyed by all the ads though since I am used to HBO GO not having any ads. And indeed many of the other apps are no longer functional, but most of the time it is not the console's fault that this is the case, but the company behind the app.

Although I don't have the season subscription, I have also used the NHL app to watch game highlights, score and standings for free, if I can't access my PC or tablet.

I remember even using the live events app to watch concerts or even watch the livestream of the landing of the Mars Rover Curiosity on Mars on 2012.

I have the Xbox 360 S model btw. I am not sure if your model has problems accessing certain apps on the console.

User Info: TitusTinnitus

TitusTinnitus
2 months ago#23
JoboHotep posted...
TitusTinnitus posted...
the internet explorer app is better than ps3 web browser

I wouldn't even bother listing these. Yeah, they're technically there, but lets be honest, they both suck ass.

Earlier this spring, my laptop crapped out on me. I don't have a smartphone or a tablet, but I do happen to have both an xbox 360 and a PS3, so I figured I'd just use the browsers on those while I was waiting for my new PC to arrive.

I had to use them for just around two weeks, and I found they both have problems serious enough to make them unusable unless you're a masochist, or dire emergency (like not having anything else to get on the internet with).

The xbox 360 Explorer app has frequent, repeating problems loading pages (like even pages you've already just been to in the same session), and often just straight up dumps you back to the dashboard. Yeah, I know it doesn't support flash, but it does this on all sites, even the ones without flash.

The PS3 browser does seem to handle loading pages better, and can run flash, but the problem it suffers from is even worse.

After using the PS3 browser for a few pages/minutes, there's a high probabilty it will eventually just lock up the system, requiring you to reset with the power button, and let the PS3 firmware run a HDD check to see if it got corrupted. Mine hasn't corrupted yet, but I can't imagine that's good for it. Suffice to say, now that I don't have to, I don't use it.

The xbox 360 and PS3 are both wonderful choices for game systems, but honestly, that's all I'd use them for.

I do use the Blu-ray player on my PS3, and some of the video apps from time to time, but every time I've tried to use any of the video apps other than YouTube (and even it has problems sometimes) on the 360, they invariably crash, can't find the server, or the video and audio get completely out of sync or stutter and buffer so bad it's unwatchable.

Agreed . Although I still think the xbox 360's internet explorer is much better than the ps3 browser or whatever. Especially if you have an xbox 360 chatpad. For me it only dumped me to back to the dashboard a couple times.
no It doesn't run flash but it will play videos. I use my xbox 360 to watch Dragon Ball Super on kissanime.com. Yes it takes alot of patience but at least my computer wont be getting any viruses

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
1 month ago#24
FireDrakeZ posted...
I believed I have used Crackle in the past. I just don't remember if I have had issues with it on the Xbox 360. I do remember being annoyed by all the ads though since I am used to HBO GO not having any ads. And indeed many of the other apps are no longer functional, but most of the time it is not the console's fault that this is the case, but the company behind the app

Yeah, all the apps I've tried to use are free apps, so that probably factors into why some of them aren't available any more, and why others don't work all that well.

I don't want to sound like none of them work correctly though, YouTube works for me most of the time, Pluto Tv seems to usually work, and Crackle works.....about 50/50ish.

FireDrakeZ posted...

I have the Xbox 360 S model btw. I am not sure if your model has problems accessing certain apps on the console.

That could be a factor. I'm using a 2009 Arcade fat model. I really feel like most of the problems are the result of operating system bloat though, as all the apps I've mentioned worked far better before the last few dashboard updates.

TitusTinnitus posted...
Although I still think the xbox 360's internet explorer is much better than the ps3 browser or whatever.

I totally agree with that. The explorer app might get cranky and need me to try loading pages a few times until it decides to do it, but at least it doesn't lock up the entire system like the PS3 browser likes to do (often).

TitusTinnitus posted...
Yes it takes alot of patience but at least my computer wont be getting any viruses

Definitely. That's the one really cool thing about console browsers, you can load any page you want without having to worry about malware.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
1 month ago#25
If you already have the Xbox 360, all you need is a gaming PC to meet almost all your gaming needs. No need for an Xbox One or a PS4.

With the Xbox 360, I was able to play many Xbox(both OG Xbox and 360) or PS console exclusives that were not available or have been delisted on steam, and other PC sites(due to expired licenses and other reasons) on PC including the Halo series, Gears of War series, Fable 2 and 3, Devil May Cry 1-3 HD remasters, Red Dead Redemption, Alice Madness Returns, MGD solid HD collection( including PS2's Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and the PSP's Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker plus English versions of Metal Gears 1 and 2 from the Japanese home computer MSX 2 in Metal Gear Solid 3's main menu), Chronicles of Riddick, Lost Odyssey, Bourne Conspiracy, Dante's Inferno, James Bond games, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, etc.

Most of my other 1500+ games, many of which are of the AAA variety I got on PC.

Most console exclusives are now available on PC. Both Microsoft and Sony seem to consider the PC neutral territory and made available exclusives to PC that you could not get in the other console platform.

Point being: Buying a PC rarely means missing out on console games these days. Sure, you won’t be able to play handful of first-party titles on Sony’s end, but everything else makes it over—and often (barring edge cases like Arkham Knight) in better condition than the console versions.

Sony recently released PlayStation Now—its subscription-based game streaming service—on the PC. If I ever get the itch to play PS console exclusives, I can always sign for that service. With emulators available for PS3, you can always play the exclusives not available on that service.

In fact, you could say there more PC exclusives that you can't play on either console platforms than vice versa.

The entire strategy genre, for one. With the exception of Halo Wars and a handful of less-successful others, both turn-based and real-time strategy games are mostly found on the PC—and there are a ton.

Plus there are plenty of quality indies that were developed for PC that never made in into console.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Why new Gamers should get an xbox 360 and not an xbox one or ps4

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived