This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No audio

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: AYuma100

AYuma100
1 month ago#1
I have my xbox 360 slim hooked to tv with hdmi and xbox 360 optical to av receiver from xbox 360. The problem is now I have sound coming out of both the av receiver aswell as the tv at the same time, now I have to turn tv volumn down to 0 and av receiver up to make it come out of that. But I don't want to keep turning the sound down when I want to play the xbox and up again when I want to play the tv. So what can I do to make the sound come out only via the optical cable and not both optical and tv at the same time it is really annoying?

User Info: Hucast9

Hucast9
1 month ago#2
It seems that you have an older home theater receiver with no hdmi input. If you had a newer home theater receiver, you would've connected the hdmi to the receiver, then from the receiver to the tv. This would easily solve the problem, because there should be a setting on these newer receivers (usually under the hdmi setting) called audio output "TV+Amp" or "Amp". You choose "Amp" and that stops the sound going to the tv. This will not work in your case even if your receiver had this setting since the hdmi is going directly to the tv. I personally have mine set up to "Tv+Amp" since I like to use the tv speakers for stuff like Youtube through the Xbox One or PS4. Whenever I want to hear a game or a movie's sound through my 5 home theater speakers, I lower the tv speaker sound to zero.

There is pretty much nothing that you can do about it in your case except lower the volume on your tv. I would suggest getting a newer home theater receiver with at least 4 hdmi inputs. Anything without hdmi inputs is ancient. Hdmi is superior to optical for Blu Ray movie sound, but not necessarily for gaming. You can get an entry level receiver for around $199. I got a Sony STR DH810 for that price around 5 years ago after my Kenwood VR 507 broke. If someone told me that this was entry level, then they could've fooled me. Listening to Blu Ray DTS HD Master audio in Return of the Jedi through this thing is like being in the jungle with master Yoda himself.

AYuma100
1 month ago#3
It has 4 HDMi inputs but they are all full up I only have an optical, component, and AV inputs left on the AV receiver.

User Info: Hucast9

Hucast9
1 month ago#4
You're going to have to get some sort of hdmi splitter or hdmi hub to connect your various systems to that, then from there to the home theater receiver, then from receiver to the tv. Once you have that setup look for a setting in the home theater receiver's settings where you can select "Tv+Amp" or "Amp". Choose "Amp" instead of "Tv+Amp" for sound to go only through the receiver's speakers. You could test this it out beforehand by unplugging one of the hdmi inputs that is ocupied by some other system, and plug in the 360's hdmi cable to the receiver.

Or you could connect the 360 through component along with the optical to the receiver, then from the receiver you connect only the component to the tv. Component will always be inferior to hdmi, because component is susceptible to interference which can cause a reduction in video quality. Component, s-video, and composite cables have to be well shielded for good video quality. HDMI cables either work or they don't work, which is why $2 hdmi cables are the same as expensive hdmi cables.

To be fair, you likely wouldn't notice anything at all if you had an interference problem from improperly shield cables. I didn't notice a problem when using my Super Nintendo through cheap s-video cables, then I heard about the checkerboard effect from improperly shielded cables. I looked at my games, and there it was. So I bought some hand made cables for my Super NES from a guy in Sweden that sells them on Ebay, and the problem went away. Those cables are super high quality properly shielded thick cables.

AYuma100
1 month ago#5
I have a power board with 6 plugs connected to it I dont even have any room for my 360 console how do I connect it Do I need something else so I can hook up the 360 aswell?

AYuma100
1 month ago#6
What do you mean by shielded cables?

User Info: Waluigi_FOREVER

Waluigi_FOREVER
1 month ago#7
Does your TV have an optical out? That's what I do with mine. Optical out from TV to reciever and tv muted at all times. If your reciever is newer and has HDMI, then just pass the HDMI through that then to the TV and leave the tv muted.
3ds FC: 3196-3191-7257 and In game name is Ass-Hat
KB BR pokemon for trade http://preview.tinyurl.com/nkdnytd

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
1 month ago#8
Some tvs dont have pass through on optical out. It might only output 2ch.

AYuma100
1 month ago#9
Thanks

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived