This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is better, Rogue Warrior or Soldier of Fortune Payback?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Which is better, Rogue Warrior or Soldier of Fortune Payback?

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#1
I just picked up Rogue Warrior, should get it next week and I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed Soldier of Fortune Payback regardless of it being mediocre, I had a good time with it. Whoever has played both, which was the better experience?
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: cold blue steel

cold blue steel
1 month ago#2
I've played both and I preferred Rogue Warrior.

SoF Payback felt like it had aged badly - it was enjoyable enough and I had fun with it, but it looked and felt rough.
Rogue Warrior didn't look so rough (though far from triple-A quality!) and mixes some stealth in with the shooting to keep things a little fresher. The voice acting is a bit love-or-hate - Mickey Rourke does a great job of sounding like a grizzled veteran IMO, but his lines are so riddled with expletives that they come across as fairly comic (probably deliberate, the end credits feature a "rap" of these sound bites over a soft beat), and sometimes it sounded like they were recorded in a bathroom.
Rogue Warrior also felt short - I rarely finish games in a single sitting, but RW was done for me in one long afternoon/evening, so I'd guess <10 hours.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books so I am used to, and enjoy, the language and the way he presents himself. I guess if you take him too seriously, he could grate.

Hope you enjoy!
tant d'echecs, tant de defaites

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#3
cold blue steel posted...
I've played both and I preferred Rogue Warrior.

SoF Payback felt like it had aged badly - it was enjoyable enough and I had fun with it, but it looked and felt rough.
Rogue Warrior didn't look so rough (though far from triple-A quality!) and mixes some stealth in with the shooting to keep things a little fresher. The voice acting is a bit love-or-hate - Mickey Rourke does a great job of sounding like a grizzled veteran IMO, but his lines are so riddled with expletives that they come across as fairly comic (probably deliberate, the end credits feature a "rap" of these sound bites over a soft beat), and sometimes it sounded like they were recorded in a bathroom.
Rogue Warrior also felt short - I rarely finish games in a single sitting, but RW was done for me in one long afternoon/evening, so I'd guess <10 hours.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books so I am used to, and enjoy, the language and the way he presents himself. I guess if you take him too seriously, he could grate.

Hope you enjoy!

thanks for your input. I watched some clips of RW and the over the top voice acting is actually a positive for me. I wouldn't have known about the game if it was not for that. I tried this on PC a few days ago but only played like 3 minutes or so of it and had to stop because the stuttering was very bad. And you had to disable like every HID device in your device manager just to get the stuttering to stop and I just couldn't do that. Console version should be fine though, just have to deal with 30fps.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: FeralGhoul52

FeralGhoul52
1 month ago#4
I heard both of them were pretty awful. I do like the theme song from Rogue Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Which is better, Rogue Warrior or Soldier of Fortune Payback?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived