This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Complete List of Turn-Based (Non-strategy) RPGs for PS3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Complete List of Turn-Based (Non-strategy) RPGs for PS3?

User Info: ACA

ACA
5 years ago#1
I'm going to have brief access to a PS3 for a few months. My favorite genre is turn-based, non-strategy RPG.

Examples from prior consoles include Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Dragon Warrior, Shadow Hearts, Chrono, SMRPG, Wild Arms.

I'd like to play as many turn-based PS3 RPGs as possible while I have this PS3 available to me, and getting a list via GameSpot/IGN has been troublesome.

Could you please post a complete list of turn-based RPGs that fit the genre of the examples above? If you want to rank, it'd be a help; if not, just a list is more than enough.

Thanks so much.
www.intunemusiconline.com
Concert reviews and interviews.

User Info: Ryphis_Demeanor

Ryphis_Demeanor
5 years ago#2
Those area dying breed and most people who own a PS3 would recommend playing both Valkyria Chronicles and Demon/Dark's Souls. Though they aren't turn-based they are the very best in the pseudo-jrpg genre. Others from best to worse:

Valkyria Chronicles (it is strategy but very turn based)
Final Fantasy 13
Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age 2
Resonance of Fate (very unique JRPG)
Star Ocean 4 International
Eternal Sonata
White Knight Chronicles (haven't played WKCII yet, but if you are interested only get 2, it includes the first game)

There are a few more and the legions of upskirt JRPG fans will soon be in this post to recommend those subpar games.

User Info: Fungusguy

Fungusguy
5 years ago#3
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
There are a few more and the legions of upskirt JRPG fans will soon be in this post to recommend those subpar games.

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori

... and the non-turn-based Ar Tonelico Qoga
Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. ~Mark Twain

User Info: Upyers

Upyers
5 years ago#4
i know what you mean TC but turn based are rare but theres costume quest and its addon
19 With A Son And Married:)
PSN: Upyers

User Info: Rotuhiiri

Rotuhiiri
5 years ago#5
I wouldn't say the posters above listed turn-based RPGs really.

Atelier Totori
Atelier Rorona
Atelier Meruru (out soon)
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia MK-2 (out very soon)
Resonance of Fate (not traditional but turn-based)
Eternal Sonata
Trinity Universe
Enchanted Arms (grids but not SRPG)
Cross Edge (grids but not SRPG)

That is it I believe. There are more RPGs but turn-based combat was bigger last gen.

White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 are in a way turn-based. There is a bar filling and you attack once it is filled and so does your enemies but it is different from the ones you mentioned.
Dreamcast/Gamecube/Mega Drive/PC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Saturn/Xbox/Xbox 360/Wii gamer

ACA
5 years ago#6
Thanks for the responses.

It doesn't have to be "wait" turn-based; to use a well-known example, Final Fantasy VII had an active bar that filled up. If you didn't pay attention, enemies could attack. So if there are any of those "turn-based", that's cool, too.

User Info: VampiricDragon_

VampiricDragon_
5 years ago#7
a bunch of new ones are coming out this year.

The image epoch rpg, infinite souls, the cladun team dungeon rpg, amongst other things
Games to Watch: Legasista PS3,SRW OG 3,Toki to Towa PS3, Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Infinite Souls, Paper Mario,Nayuta no Kiseki PSP

ACA
5 years ago#8
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age 2

I've seen this in action.. it's more of a KOTOR game than turn-based RPG like FF (which is what I'm looking for).

Right?

User Info: MrMolinaro

MrMolinaro
5 years ago#9
The only old school turn-based games I know of are Xbox exclusive.
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon

Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 game that I have played that would fit the bill but it is a SRPG.

User Info: aegilnet

aegilnet
5 years ago#10
You should check out White Knight Chronicles II

or

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - just for the Shining Force 1 & 2 and Shining in the Darkness games.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Complete List of Turn-Based (Non-strategy) RPGs for PS3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived