This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Skyrim and Dark Souls..so what's going to be great about them?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Skyrim and Dark Souls..so what's going to be great about them?

User Info: castrejon04

castrejon04
6 years ago#1
I don't really know anything about these two games, but what type of sub-genre do they both fit well? As a jrpg lover would I even like these games or are they too westernize for my taste?
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa

User Info: params7

params7
6 years ago#2
As a jrpg lover

Yeah I don't think you'll like either of these games. Skyrim because of its scale and Souls because of its challenge.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2qd27na.png

User Info: castrejon04

castrejon04
6 years ago#3
I do like challenging games so Dark Souls would be a better choice for me, but it's sad that it's not a traditional rpg game to some degree at least.
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
6 years ago#4
you can think of dark souls as a tranditional turn based game, in the sense that every action you make take turns (traditional rpg or action based)

stamina= hp/mp
(basically regenerates but you will use this to attack and defend, your bread and butter)

light attack= normal attack
(fast cast time and fast cool down, easy to roll out of)

heavy attack= special attack/magic/skill
(basically takes longer to execute than light attack, but grants unique effects, also more risky to use as it eats up more stamina)

block and roll = defend/dodge/backline
(basically in exchange for holding up a shield or evading you exhaust your stamina aka hp/mp, this is your basic position skill to make the most out of your attacks)

magic = spammable special attack or limit break

hp= your parties life
(if its depleted you die and gameover and start again)

souls= your currency in a normal jrpg
(if you gameover you get a quicksave, you have 1 chance to retrieve it before the quicksave is deleted)

items= normal items in jrpgs
(except it has the cast time of a heavy attack, you can heal once or light attack twice or heavy attack once)

recoil and cooldowns= atb bar or turn phases
every action you make has a consequence.. the faster you decide your moves the more of an edge you'll have, because of stamina regen

nowadays when i play any games, i use this system.. never seems to fail (even for mmorpgs)
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428

User Info: peter_888

peter_888
6 years ago#5
params7 posted...
As a jrpg lover

Yeah I don't think you'll like either of these games. Skyrim because of its scale and Souls because of its challenge.

because of its challenge? I wouldn't think any jrpg player would have any problem with difficulty.(especially after playing Eternal Sonata, well that's my personal opinion anyway)
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Peter47890

User Info: k_adsl123

k_adsl123
6 years ago#6
castrejon04 posted...
but it's sad that it's not a traditional rpg game to some degree at least.

Traditional RPG....pen and paper?
Not changing this sig until PSN gets an online chess game.
Started April 12, 2011.

User Info: Soliquidus

Soliquidus
6 years ago#7
Traditional RPG (pen and paper) Pong was cool back in the day
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Skyrim and Dark Souls..so what's going to be great about them?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived