This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just connected HDMI... why does my screen seem darker?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Just connected HDMI... why does my screen seem darker?

User Info: Smash Master

Smash Master
6 years ago#1
*points to topic line*
A staple formula for FF villains:
"They only do this, but lets kill them anyway!!!"

User Info: The_HumanSpider

The_HumanSpider
6 years ago#2
Might be because your TV saves different settings between your regular settings and HDMI settings? You might have to readjust for HDMI input. Just taking a shot in the dark.

Smash Master
6 years ago#3
The TV does have an HDMI setting, and I did select it... I'm really not sure whats wrong here.

(Keep in mind: This is my first time dabbling with a proper HD hookup. Until now for me its been "Red White Yellow Go" so I really don't know what I'm looking for settings-wise.)

I mean, thats when I select only the 480 option. I select anything higher, and while the screen doesn't seem so dark, the XMB becomes RIDICULOUSLY tiny, text-wise.

User Info: revengine

revengine
6 years ago#4
There are some settings in the Display Settings tab that are HDMI only - Full Range, Super White, and Deep Colour Output to be exact. Try changing those until you get something you like.
Your love is like a secret that has been passed around.

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
6 years ago#5
to put it simply, lets say you lower the color in your AV1 display. if you choose AV2 or any other output, your color settings will return to default on them, while still being grey in AV1.

just configure your HDMI like you did with AV1
GT/PSN: KRISHANKO
dedicated in loving memory of the ohka pilots, let their courage & sacrifice never be forgotten

The_HumanSpider
6 years ago#6
I mean theoretically the text should be smaller (but also readable) since you are switching to a higher resolution than 480, with an HDMI cable you're really wasting the potential of it since it really is capable of achieving 720 or 1080 (also depending on your TV capabilities).

Smash Master
6 years ago#7
So the text on the XMB is *supposed* to shrink then? My TV's not that big (its a Viore 22 inch), so the text is REALLY tiny and I can hardly read it from where I'm usually sitting. Granted anything thats not associated with the XMB looks great, and quite frankly I went back to composite to compare "Bright screen with large XMB" and saw the difference immediately... I just wish there was a way to keep the 1080i (or what have you) screen with a large text XMB.

(tl;dr: I gotta choose between bright and shiny screen or a readable XMB, it seems.)

User Info: revengine

revengine
6 years ago#8
Yep, the higher the resolution setting, the smaller your xmb text will appear.
Your love is like a secret that has been passed around.

Smash Master
6 years ago#9
Ehh... I guess this is where "it sucks to have a small TV" really comes to haunt me, then...

If the screen didn't get so dark when I picked 480, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Also... what of PS1 games? I just tested this whole thing out on Uncharted 2 and FF9, and while the former looked great, the latter... the latter seemed just as dark as if I had selected 480 anyway, and wasn't full (well, full for a widescreen) screen like it was when I was using the composites. Do PS1 games just flat out not care about HDMI?

The_HumanSpider
6 years ago#10
Yeah PS1 games will generally look a lot worse on LCD/LED screens than the old CRT tvs, the PS3 will automatically switch to playing them on 480i.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Just connected HDMI... why does my screen seem darker?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived