This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF7 and FF10 had the best combat systems.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. FF7 and FF10 had the best combat systems.

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
4 years ago#71
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics? >.> stay on topic ppl......

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system. And every playthrough you get the same skills pretty much. You can choose a few to learn before others maybe, but really it is just like leveling up and not custimization.
In FF7 you actually choose what your character uses and that has a huge impact on the flow of the battle.
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

User Info: SieKensou

SieKensou
4 years ago#72
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics? >.> stay on topic ppl......

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system.
In FF7 you actually choose what your character uses and that has a huge impact on the flow of the battle.

crystarium = growth system.
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 years ago#73
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics?

Well yeah. Whether you win or lose a battle in a turn-based RPG is rarely a matter of selecting the right commands in battle, it's about having your characters properly prepared before the battle begins. As such, customization plays a major role in the gameplay or any standard RPG and ones where you can't customize tend to be fairly dull, especially if they're also not very hard.
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

darkphoenix181
4 years ago#74
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system.

perhaps I got carried away. It is one, but not very good imo. I dislike the extreme linearity. In essence that makes it weak on a customization level. And if a game dictates your growth, that isn't a growth system, that is just leveling up.
However, I admit that you had more than 1 line in FFXIII. So I guess I can't say it wasn't one.

SieKensou
4 years ago#75
Terotrous posted...
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics?

Well yeah. Whether you win or lose a battle in a turn-based RPG is rarely a matter of selecting the right commands in battle, it's about having your characters properly prepared before the battle begins. As such, customization plays a major role in the gameplay or any standard RPG and ones where you can't customize tend to be fairly dull, especially if they're also not very hard.

battle system =/= growth mechanics...

growth mechanics:
sphere grid =/= traditional level up

battle systems:
grandia 3's battle system =/= Eternal Sonata's battle system =/= FFX =/= FFX-2 =/= FF!3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462

SieKensou
4 years ago#76
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

perhaps I got carried away. It is one, but not very good imo. I dislike the extreme linearity. In essence that makes it weak on a customization level. And if a game dictates your growth, that isn't a growth system, that is just leveling up.
However, I admit that you had more than 1 line in FFXIII. So I guess I can't say it wasn't one.

err... in FF13, you DO have "only 1 line" for each of the classes....

in FF10, you can branch off anywhere as long as you have the appropriate key to unlock it.

i gave everyone Steal, Mug, and Use....

just love having Wakka use Mug...

darkphoenix181
4 years ago#77
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

in FF10, you can branch off anywhere as long as you have the appropriate key to unlock it.

1 line for each class yes. But you can choose which of the lines you level up first. So there is 6 lines in the end because of 6 classes. That is why I got carried away and said it didn't have a growth system. But since there is some level of customization (very very little) then I take back what I said.

User Info: songoku0206

songoku0206
4 years ago#78
Godly_Goof posted...
xxcheexx posted...
Materia system was awesome.

Watered down magicite? No was really bad :/
Not to mention the beginning of all party members playing the exact same >.>
I am glad someone else feels the same, 7 battle system was also broken by able to use hypers with no draw backs

User Info: kilaude

kilaude
4 years ago#79
Hellraiser555 posted...
I agree, TC. I agree.

SieKensou
4 years ago#80
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

1 line for each class yes. But you can choose which of the lines you level up first. So there is 6 lines in the end because of 6 classes. That is why I got carried away and said it didn't have a growth system. But since there is some level of customization (very very little) then I take back what I said.

all of the classes are level capped by each chapter.... or few chapters....
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. FF7 and FF10 had the best combat systems.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived