This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Platformers ruled the last gen, FPS titles this gen...what's next?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Platformers ruled the last gen, FPS titles this gen...what's next?

User Info: n0matter

n0matter
4 years ago#1
What genre will shine next generation? If it's FPS again, I might just have to shoot myself in the face.
76.322 to 70.744 is a 70% drop. - Sailor Goon
600,000+400,000=1.1 million - Sailor Goon

User Info: brolynick

brolynick
4 years ago#2
I could see them doing some awesome stuff with sandbox games on next-gen consoles.
Chris Jericho is better than God.

User Info: chiefofsb78

chiefofsb78
4 years ago#3
Fighting Games are back and gonna be even stronger next gen

User Info: slymshady

slymshady
4 years ago#4
Platforms ruled last gen (O_o)

Maybe on the wii it did with there 2-D platformerd

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 years ago#5
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.

User Info: wstfld

wstfld
4 years ago#6
GTA and Halo ruled last gen. COD rules this gen.
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civilzation V, FTL

User Info: Final_Tran

Final_Tran
4 years ago#7
kobalobasileus posted...
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.

LMAO @ RPGs ruling Gen 4
PSN: Trannol, PSA:BR Main Gold Dragon Sir Daniel Fortesque.
http://tinyurl.com/c7alxud

User Info: zender1999

zender1999
4 years ago#8
i see 2d games making a big comeback maybe with 3d characters in it

User Info: ps3_gamer_norge

ps3_gamer_norge
4 years ago#9
kobalobasileus posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

RPGs did well, but we're far from ruling the generation.

User Info: CodytheHero

CodytheHero
4 years ago#10
GTA and Halo ruled last gen. COD rules this gen.

Halo did not rule last gen. LOLOLOL
Previously known as fallenxlionheart
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Platformers ruled the last gen, FPS titles this gen...what's next?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived