This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do i need two hard drives when upgrading my PS3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Do i need two hard drives when upgrading my PS3?

User Info: STN79

STN79
4 years ago#1
Am i going to need one for the back up utility and another for extra space? Couldn't i just back everything up on an external and then use that one in the PS3?

User Info: inkatchi

inkatchi
4 years ago#2
I also wanna know this.
3DS FC: 3952-7605-2568
(message deleted)

User Info: stalepie29

stalepie29
4 years ago#4
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

Saves can usually be copied over to flash drives or external hard drives. Some are copy-protected to prevent cheaters. All saves can be uploading to PS+, a subscription service and then downloaded back onto your new drive. Games bought from the store have to be downloaded again. Movies I think are one-time purchases.

User Info: OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50
4 years ago#5
The Data Transfer Utility in the System Settings which will transfer everything from an old HDD to a new one. This even transfers copy protected content too.
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.

User Info: OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50
4 years ago#6
Well some, copy protected content. Mostly limited to saves. stalepie is correct in regards to movies and certain content being untransferable.
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.

User Info: Crimson Skys

Crimson Skys
4 years ago#7
Can't you just connect the PS3's together directly?
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)

STN79
4 years ago#8
I got the new hard drive and i wanna use it for my back up. Once the PS3 is backed up can't i take out the original drive and replace it with the back up i just made? Seems like i could. Rather than needing to buy two separate drives which would cost alot more.

User Info: GoodOlWandu

GoodOlWandu
4 years ago#9
STN79 posted...
I got the new hard drive and i wanna use it for my back up. Once the PS3 is backed up can't i take out the original drive and replace it with the back up i just made? Seems like i could. Rather than needing to buy two separate drives which would cost alot more.

You have to backup to an external hard drive because the ps3 always re-formats the new hard drive that gets installed.
PSN: Wandu
XBL: TALTON 187

STN79
4 years ago#10
Oh well that makes sense. Good thing i only need 160 gigs worth for my external back up. This is my first time doing this so sorry if this was a stupid question.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Do i need two hard drives when upgrading my PS3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived