This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Last of Us - New Preview, gameplay, and detail aka the best game this year

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. The Last of Us - New Preview, gameplay, and detail aka the best game this year

User Info: IBringIt

IBringIt
4 years ago#31
PoorCountry posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
It's still a dumb, immersion-breaking crutch which could be avoided entirely if only your stealth sequences were designed in a manner that's actually fair. So I'm supposed to believe in and relate to this everyman type of character, I just have to come to terms with the fact that's he's actually postapocalyptic Daredevil first. I think that kinda undermines everything the people at ND have been trying to accomplish here.

you're basing this on a few minutes of videos and one person's (glowing) opinion on it, wait for more footage and reserve your judgement then

He's basing it on the concept, and he's right: everything he said about the concept is on-point. Are you going to suggest that they will implement this concept, of being able to psychically see through walls, in a way that doesn't involve psychically seeing through walls?

I think you guys are missing the point as far as why it works that way. In real life your hearing can pinpoint the direction a sound is coming from. As good as some surround speakers may be it's never been fully replicated. In a game where hearing what's around the corner or up ahead in a large dark room is a major factor. This cannot be replicated accurately within a game just yet so, for me at least, this is an acceptable alternative.
http://tinyurl.com/7fl22md
PSN: IconGrist

User Info: iveriad

iveriad
4 years ago#32
PoorCountry posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
It's still a dumb, immersion-breaking crutch which could be avoided entirely if only your stealth sequences were designed in a manner that's actually fair. So I'm supposed to believe in and relate to this everyman type of character, I just have to come to terms with the fact that's he's actually postapocalyptic Daredevil first. I think that kinda undermines everything the people at ND have been trying to accomplish here.

you're basing this on a few minutes of videos and one person's (glowing) opinion on it, wait for more footage and reserve your judgement then

He's basing it on the concept, and he's right: everything he said about the concept is on-point. Are you going to suggest that they will implement this concept, of being able to psychically see through walls, in a way that doesn't involve psychically seeing through walls?

I think the game looks cool, but I don't like the thing about having a "sixth sense." That doesn't feel realistic, it doesn't immerse me in the role of Joel, and if it's true that it's there only to be a crutch and doesn't have any impacting relevance to the story-line (this is definitely how it comes off), then I would prefer they leave it out and allow the game to be that much more difficult.

It's not a real sixth sense.
It's called Listen Mode.
It's how Joel's visualize his surroundings by using his hearing sense.
Anyone can do that. The developer just decided to make a visual representation of the information Joel gets from listening. Because not everyone has a 5.1 Sound System.
"There is no justice in using and deceiving people!"

User Info: pencru

pencru
4 years ago#33
Did anyone SEE the last part of the video? That looked painful.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. The Last of Us - New Preview, gameplay, and detail aka the best game this year

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived