This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I'm finally upgrading my hard drive!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So, I'm finally upgrading my hard drive!

User Info: Nayiko

Nayiko
4 years ago#1
Yeah, I know, there are plenty of (9 pages) other hard drive topics but I can't find a single one that seems to recommend or not recommend the WD Scorpio Black series or a Toshiba drive. This isn't really a "help me choose a hard drive" topic because I already ordered the Black listed below. It seems like the Scorpio Blue is the gold standard for drives, even though there are a couple of issues with games studdering or being out of sync.

Why don't people recommend the Scorpio Black series? Is it because the cost:size ratio? Or is it more along the lines of the 5,400vs7,200 RPM debacle? They frequently go on sale (70$ for a 750gb Black) so pricing shouldn't really be a factor.

I'm fairly sure the Toshiba is due to reliability issues but is there anything else not going for them?

User Info: gudaman

gudaman
4 years ago#2
I almost wonder if this might not be a question suited for the PC board. I know this is a PS3 topic but when it comes to quality of an item (unless sabotaged by master race trolls) I think they would be more knowledgeable than a typical ps3 user.

This is only my opinion and an assumption though...
gt: gudaman / PSN: OvaryPuncher9000
I'm open to pretty much any game you wanna play as long as I own it.

User Info: Nayiko

Nayiko
4 years ago#3
If it were in PC terms, I don't think I know anyone who would choose the 1TB 5,400 drive over the 750GB 7,200 drive. Given a PCs almost infinitely higher processing capabilities (and abundance of USB 3.0 mass storage units), the last thing you want is a hard drive bottle necking your system.

I was more curious about why almost every recommendation for a hard drive upgrade was either a WD Blue or Seagate Momentus. I'm sure cost:size has something to do with it but I wanted to know if there were anything else to it, and why almost no one recommended a Toshiba drive.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So, I'm finally upgrading my hard drive!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived