This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 Isn't reading discs

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 Isn't reading discs

User Info: DrexBrightblade

DrexBrightblade
4 years ago#11
echa_One posted...
Yeah, it's the same problem with my slim, then. Local repairers asked me for $130 for the fix, but the ps3 had to be reformatted in the end meaning all is lost (you can still backup if you want). I ended up trading that slim with a brand new 160GB + $150.

How did you manage to trade in a system that was unable to use its blue ray drive without them knowing? Don't they do a test on the system?
Strength is Nothing, Stealth is everything.
FC- 4382-2475-0875

User Info: SDFan18

SDFan18
4 years ago#12
If you're in the US, you can look into gophermods.com. I sent my slim to them for a laser replacement and they did a good and quick job for me. They only charge $99 to do it but you gotta ship it.
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86

DrexBrightblade
4 years ago#13
I'm curious if anybody else was successful in trading in a system with a busted blueray drive
FC- 4382-2475-0875

DrexBrightblade
4 years ago#14
bump
FC- 4382-2475-0875

User Info: echa_One

echa_One
4 years ago#15
DrexBrightblade posted...
How did you manage to trade in a system that was unable to use its blue ray drive without them knowing? Don't they do a test on the system?

The local repairer I mention is also a game shop. They just happen to accept repair for gaming system. When they told me it'd cost $130 for the repair, they offered me a brand new 160GB slim just by adding extra $20 (plus the broken old slim). I accepted right away just like that and it was indeed a brand new one. I guess they could use parts of the broken one for future repairs? It was only the BD that was broken, everything else was good they said.
There is a board for RPG, you know:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/220-rpgs-everything-else

DrexBrightblade
4 years ago#16
Just a heads up, I'm ordering a part to try and repair this myself. I'm going to be replacing the laser to see if it works. The most I would have gotten back from trade in value is about 50$, so I figure I'll take a stab at fixing it. I'll give a update once the part arrives.
FC- 4382-2475-0875

DrexBrightblade
4 years ago#17
Repair complete and everything is running just fine now. Simply followed these 2 videos to the T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uvm4W_rv3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgt7oTmUzTg
FC- 4382-2475-0875

User Info: BerserkerX2

BerserkerX2
4 years ago#18
Mine has been like that for couple of months I just leave it on for 15min then put the disc in and it reads it fine. I buy digital now anyways and I will buy a new ps3 once the ps4 comes out since they will prob drop the ps3 price again

User Info: L0Z

L0Z
4 years ago#19
for people who have the eject sound but the disc doesnt eject after failing to detect the disc:

is it the laser assembly that needs to be swapped with a working one? my second ps3 is just sitting in its box because no one would buy it for more than $50 on craigslist so i decided to keep it.
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 Isn't reading discs

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived