This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

data transfer utility stuck... HELP pls

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. data transfer utility stuck... HELP pls

User Info: bigroc10304

bigroc10304
4 years ago#1
I got a 500 GB ps3 today, to replace my old one (disc doesn't eject, even when I use the fan trick). It's been going on for almost 3 hours (the transfer from the 120 to the 500) and it's been stuck on 86% w/the remaining time of 30 min. It's been that way for almost an hour.

I don't want to go pulling and wires, or screw it up. IIRC the prompt prior to the start said it deletes the games from the old ps3 after the transfer. I'm a bit nervous now...

If I try to restart it, I'm fearful that I will lose my game saves... I made sure to deactivate the old PS3 and followed the instructions to the letter.

Anyone ever run into this? If so, how'd you fix it?

Thanks in advance

User Info: JanayBerry

JanayBerry
4 years ago#2
When I came home from work about midnight, mine was 83% done with 1 hour 52 minutes remaining.

Having nothing to do, I went to sleep just before 1am. I woke up about 9am and the progress didn't change. The systems weren't frozen.

Moving forward, it was time for work. I did my 8 hours, came home and it was still 83% with 1 hour 52 minutes.

Went to sleep again, woke up to the same thing again. Having read that some people waited three days, I did that. Sadly, it was still in it's same state.

I cancelled it, and downloaded all my small file games, then most of my DLC that were small sizes. Overnight, I downloaded my big file DLC, and would download 1-3 big file games overnight.

4 days later and 6 big games remaining, it was better for me to just redownload.
DC Universe: "Janay Berry", fulltime Electric healer, "PerfectLegends" league, Villian since 2/4/11.

bigroc10304
4 years ago#3
JanayBerry posted...
When I came home from work about midnight, mine was 83% done with 1 hour 52 minutes remaining.

Having nothing to do, I went to sleep just before 1am. I woke up about 9am and the progress didn't change. The systems weren't frozen.

Moving forward, it was time for work. I did my 8 hours, came home and it was still 83% with 1 hour 52 minutes.

Went to sleep again, woke up to the same thing again. Having read that some people waited three days, I did that. Sadly, it was still in it's same state.

I cancelled it, and downloaded all my small file games, then most of my DLC that were small sizes. Overnight, I downloaded my big file DLC, and would download 1-3 big file games overnight.

4 days later and 6 big games remaining, it was better for me to just redownload.

UGH! Not the answer I was hoping to hear... What an enormous waste of time if that's the case. I was gonna just do a back up onto an external and then DL what I had to, but when I saw that there was the 'Data Transfer Utility' it sounded like it'd be quicker and easier.

It's good to know that all the files weren't deleted. I jumped through a bunch of hoops to even get the DTU to work. I deactivated the system, updated both systems firmware, synced the trophies and a few other things that it had asked for. I just wanna see it hit the 14% remaining... Like I said earlier, I'm sitting at 86% and 31 minutes. I saw it jump from 85% to 86% around midnight (it's almost 1 am now.

This is gonna blow if I have to go through all the save files and DL all the games again. Can't seem to catch a break over the last week or so. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

bigroc10304
4 years ago#4
It just jumped to 87%, bt the time went from 31 min to 32 min.... maybe I'll let it run for a little while longer just in case... 1% in about an hour. What a pain in the balls!

User Info: j2cc45

j2cc45
4 years ago#5
it takes time just let it finish it does not freeze. just takes time especially near the end.
gt: thebullseye83 psn: bullseye83 wii fc : 7733 9593 3401 4921

bigroc10304
4 years ago#6
It's now at 95% with an estimated time of 10 min. Fingers crossed! Thanks.

bigroc10304
4 years ago#7
It took 6+ hrs, but it finished... Thanks the heavens I didn't have to do the tedious crap!

User Info: TheKonamiMan

TheKonamiMan
4 years ago#8
Glad I saw this topic, I think I'll just use Plus to upload my save files to my online storage and then just download everything to my new PS3.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/TheKonamiMan/sig/SilentSig.jpg
|A|L|I|E|N|S| - My Anti-Drug

bigroc10304
4 years ago#9
TheKonamiMan posted...
Glad I saw this topic, I think I'll just use Plus to upload my save files to my online storage and then just download everything to my new PS3.

I say it's worth it... At least give it a shot. Set it up before you go to bed, or go to work/school... Should finish by the time you're home. I know someone said it didn't work for them... But it was easier than doing every DL over. The hardest part was the waiting. So I popped Borderlands in my 360 and played it while I waited, checking back occasionally.

When it comes to playstation 3 updates and downloads there are gonna be issues. (I like XBL better than PSN, but being a PSN plus member gets you more stuff. It pays for itself 10 times over each year. XBL is better,imo, for playing online.) Let's hope that Sony decides to include a mic with every unit sold like M$. (And that they get rid of the frozen updates... I hate that more than anything)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. data transfer utility stuck... HELP pls

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived