This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Friendly Reminder: Do a periodic maintenance in your playstation 3.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Friendly Reminder: Do a periodic maintenance in your playstation 3.

User Info: Gaara_fan

Gaara_fan
5 months ago#1
I believe a similar thread as done years ago by DrStran3g3 advising how to keep your playstation 3 in good shape and living for years to come.

WARNING: Do these steps at your own peril and follow the instructions to the letter or else you risk damaging your playstation 3 and losing all data on it

1. Using Safe Mode Recovery Menu options to routinely search and fix any errors in your HDD.

WARNING - MUST READ: Before performing any of the actions written below, make sure to ALWAYS do a backup of all your saves and other important files because these options can DELETE ALL DATA in the harddrive. Save yourself the headache, always make a backup beforehand.

So, your system is working, booting up, playing games, watching videos and play music as well, but it seems sluggish or sometimes unresponsive or crashing too many times. And or even worse, it can't boot up at all, giving you a plethora of errors in the boot screen. These can be caused by corrupted data, bad sectors and other harddrive errors that can be fixed by accessing PS3 Safe Mode and performing some or all those actions.

First, how to access Safe Mode Recovery Menu:

- Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding/pressing (Depending on model) the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power led is red. *Skip this step if your Playstation 3 is already turned off.*

Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power led is red).

Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode. Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Now, let's list all Safe Mode options:

1. Restart System - Ends safe mode and starts up the PLAYSTATION 3 normally.
2. Restore Default Settings - Performs the same operations as on the XMB™, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
3. Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.
4. Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on screens, trimming information for pictures in , video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.
This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
5. Restore PS3 System - IMPORTANT: All data will be lost by performing this step.
This will reformat the hard drive on the PLAYSTATION 3, deleting all data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the same as on the XMB.
6. System Update - Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on an external storage media.

Source & Credits: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Consoles-Peripherals/How-to-access-Playstation-3-SAFE-MODE/td-p/5812274

CONTINUED...
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the name of the Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno

Gaara_fan
5 months ago#2
Explaining some Safe Mode Recovery Menu options a bit deeper...

3. Restore File System:This option can be the first to try if you're noticing your playstation 3 is acting up. This option does a scan of the harddrive and tries to repairs any corrupted data (If any), or simply delete it if not possible. The Larger the HDD is, more time will be needed for this action to be completed. Also note that this option can ERASE ALL DATA if it somehow finds any corrupt data that it can't fix and that is vital to the system, and it has occured to many people as you can see here:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/75443638

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/75387988

4. Rebuild Database: Another good option to fix any possible errors, but it takes a rather long time (My 1TB HDD takes at least 30 mins) and it wipes pretty much any 'metadata' stored in your ps3, so it deletes playlist, albums, messages from psn and etcetera. It can also wipe-out your entire HDD if the database is completely corrupt but it's a much more rare occurence than option 3.

5. Restore PS3 System: Simply put, it formats your drive entirely, deleting any data on it. As so, it should be used as a last measure if your system can't start at all OR if you plan on selling your playstation 3, this can also be used as a quick format option. Also accessible through XMB.

In my playstation 3 regular maintenance intervals, I always do options 3 & 4 each 6 months and so far my data is still intact after 2 years of doing it and also made my ps3 perform much faster on the xmb despite having so many game and music files on it.

2. Hardware maintenance.

This sections tips are mainly gathered from @ThrillKillFan over the course of years.

1. Keep your system properly ventilated: Yes, yes, everybody should know about this one, but what actually people don't know is that you can increase the ventilation passing through your system by using very simple solutions.

- Wire mesh basket: This will sound weird but having your PS3 on top of a wire-mesh basket will help it have a much better cooling than just having it on top of wood/plastic/glass. Basically, anything that can lift up your ps3 and leave an open space BELOW the ps3 should increase the airflow in that area, thus cooling it even more. Use your imagination, wire-mesh basket is a cheap and useful option but there is plenty more you can try.

- Locate the vents on your system, different playstation 3 models have different vents intakes and outakes, take a close look where they are and position your system so there is ample space for those.

2. Clean it from any dust build-up: If you know how, open up your system and clean it up from any dust inside, but do it gently, with delicate dry brushes or using compressed air/gas dusters so you don't accidentally spill water or damage any component. If opening it up isn't an option, there is a solution for you: Vaccum cleaners. Those works wonders in cleaning the vents of your system, just make sure to ground yourself before using vaccum cleaners since those can build static energy and if that somehow discharge in your system, it can fry some delicate components.

3. Change the thermal paste inside the system. Not an easy option, I know, but you might consider doing this if your system is one of the phat ones or is starting to sound too loud on the fans or even if the system is already overheating (It turns off by itself). Most repair techs suggest using Arctic Silver 5, so go for that one. If you're doing by yourself, which I don't recommend, remember to just use a drop on it and let the heatsink spread the paste, because if you put too much paste, it will probably have the reverse effect.

User Info: rswsc0407

rswsc0407
5 months ago#3
I had the restore file system thing happen to me recently too.

I had been playing through Resistance with a friend of mine split screen coop and every time we got to a certain cut scene the game would hard freeze. Someone suggested using restore file, So I did and it got to about 25-30% and would say an error had happened and that I would need to format my drive and there was no way around it either so I lost everything.

I didn't even realize that, that could happen like that or else I would have made a back up of my saves. The worst part besides losing my MLB 16 stuff, was things like the 65+ hours I had played in Graces F(Still needed to do the F arc) Battlefield Hardline(I have no idea how many hours were lost there) and mostly Rogue Legacy(Had beat it like 3 or 4 times, had around 50 hours into it) I've tried starting it back up again but it's so hard not having everything I used to have.

I lot of the stuff I lost wasn't too bad, but it still sucks big time, something like this should get stickied, IMO. Hopefully it'll help people avoid situations like mine.
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407

Gaara_fan
5 months ago#4
@rswsc0407
Thanks for your post, your case enriches my examples of 'restore file system' option randomly wiping out entire harddrive. Since it sucks big time, as you said, I hope my warning save some people of this headache.

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
5 months ago#5
I had mine hard freeze and I had to restore file system, which had to format the system because it couldn't fix it. I lost SOOOOO many saves I was in the middle of playing. I've barely touched my PS3 since then.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
5 months ago#6
Great topic, let's keep this up so everyone can read it.

One small tip for Slim owners: Clean up the air exits once a month, then do a fan test (disc drive empty, hold eject button then turn system on, fans will spin really fast and loud, ejecting all dust it can from the system). Doing this regularly decreases the need for opening and cleaning it up.

Thermal paste is not a big issue in some slim models too, as they changed it. But every couple years or so, it should really be replaced.

Another advice, good for any PS3: NEVER move it while it's reading a disc. AVOID AT ALL COSTS moving it while it's hot after playing. If you have to take your PS3 somewhere or move it to another room in your house, do it only after it has cooled down.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

User Info: RococoEra

RococoEra
5 months ago#7
I'd recommend mx-4 over arctic silver 5

Why? It's non conductive, so if you put too much on and some ends up on the board it won't brick it. Mx-4 also has no cure time and is made by the same company.
Sig

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
5 months ago#8
Good to see a topic like this because actually I have a problem with my PS3 (Slim 250GB model) since the last year and until now I can't fix it...

Alright let me explain: sometimes the HDD of my console get stuck (or freeze) in loading something (can last between 20-30 seconds) and then it come back to the normal, this problem happen pretty often mostly when the console save data on any game using the auto-save function and even when I'm scrolling up/down in the XMB (like the trophy's list or the music's folders), some people told me that maybe the console had a lot of corrupt data so I took the sad decision of format entirely the console (using the 5th option of Restore PS3 System), it kind worked for a few weeks but then the problem appeared again...

So what it exactly happening to my console?, is the HDD damage or do I need to open my console? (because I never did it, so I don't know if the dust can cause this problem)
AC:NL Dream code (updated version): 4F00-000F-4F10
Everyone are welcome!

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
5 months ago#9
cris1ussen posted...
Good to see a topic like this because actually I have a problem with my PS3 (Slim 250GB model) since the last year and until now I can't fix it...

Alright let me explain: sometimes the HDD of my console get stuck (or freeze) in loading something (can last between 20-30 seconds) and then it come back to the normal, this problem happen pretty often mostly when the console save data on any game using the auto-save function and even when I'm scrolling up/down in the XMB (like the trophy's list or the music's folders), some people told me that maybe the console had a lot of corrupt data so I took the sad decision of format entirely the console (using the 5th option of Restore PS3 System), it kind worked for a few weeks but then the problem appeared again...

So what it exactly happening to my console?, is the HDD damage or do I need to open my console? (because I never did it, so I don't know if the dust can cause this problem)

Quick question: is your console online, connected to PSN when you experience those freezes? Try playing offline and see if the same thing happens
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
5 months ago#10
rafamaximo posted...
cris1ussen posted...

Quick question: is your console online, connected to PSN when you experience those freezes? Try playing offline and see if the same thing happens

Actually no, most of the time I play my PS3 offline without be signed to PSN, only time that I connect to the internet is just for sync the trophies and check the PS Store and that is it, then I sign out

Actually thanks to this problem I don't play online anymore because when the random freeze happen it cause a problem with the match/lobby and then I'm kick out...

One observation that I can say and forgot to mention is that when I formatted the console everything was deleted except the console's firmware/update (still had the newest/recent update) which I found kind weird because I thought the format deleted everything leaving the console if was complety new, I'm not sure if the firmware could be culprit that cause problems to my console (maybe is corrupted?)
AC:NL Dream code (updated version): 4F00-000F-4F10
Everyone are welcome!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Friendly Reminder: Do a periodic maintenance in your playstation 3.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.