This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't use my old 120 HDD anymore

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. I can't use my old 120 HDD anymore

User Info: yahya_no_1

yahya_no_1
5 months ago#1
So I replaced my 120 GB with a 1T HDD long ago, but I forgot to transfer one or 2 save files from the old one, I tried putting the old one back today, but it keeps asking me to format it first as it does not have the 4.0 firmware ....why?

Anyway I can just open the old HDD get what I want and put it back?
PSN:yahyano1

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
5 months ago#2
Firmware is stored on the HDD, and when you update, it writes to a chip on the motherboard of the console that sets a minimum firmware version the console will boot. Once you update firmware on the new drive, the old drive becomes unreadable because you can't boot the old firmware. The hard drives are encrypted so that the data can only be read by the console that formatted it.

You might be able to put the newer firmware on a USB flash drive and have it in the system when you boot the old drive, to try to update the firmware on the drive, but I don't know if it will work.

There is no way to open the drive with a PC because of the encryption, unless you have had a way to dump your encryption keys.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

yahya_no_1
5 months ago#3
That sucks, like sucks really bad :/

I also found out I need an account name from there too -_-*

Everytime I look deep into the Sony consoles, i found out how horrible made they really are, they didn't think people would want to go back to the old files and pick them up ?

I even called their PSN support line and they can't search by name, has to be by account name or email, which I don't remember either

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
5 months ago#4
Theory, untested: Get another HDD, boot PS3 with it. it will ask to format. Format it, boot the console then revert to factory settings. It will take back the FW to factory default. Then try to insert your 120GB HDD again, it should be able to boot since it will no longer find a newer FW version. Copy the save files you want to a thumbdrive and then reinsert your 1TB HDD.

I have not tested this method, but I guess it could work. Would be wise to backup all data in 1TB HDD before trying this.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

yahya_no_1
5 months ago#5
While what your saying might work, I still need to go buy a new HDD, will definitely put this min mind, thank you

Edit: looking online, I just want to confirm that a 1.5 TB HDD would work with the ps3?

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
5 months ago#6
If I am not wrong, PS3 is able to recognize up to 2TB HDDs. But I've seem some folks here in this board with 1TB HDDs report that PS3 system has trouble handling that amount of storage, so they have lost all their data since there's trouble with their file system. Only HDDs up to 500GBs are safe in PS3.

And remember, if you really want to test my theory out, remember to take a backup of your current HDD before trying. If you do, let me know if that worked or not.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
5 months ago#7
Depends on the PS3. Some units only reliably support 1 TB, and some can support certain drives up to 1.75 TB.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

yahya_no_1
5 months ago#8
rafamaximo posted...
If I am not wrong, PS3 is able to recognize up to 2TB HDDs. But I've seem some folks here in this board with 1TB HDDs report that PS3 system has trouble handling that amount of storage, so they have lost all their data since there's trouble with their file system. Only HDDs up to 500GBs are safe in PS3.

And remember, if you really want to test my theory out, remember to take a backup of your current HDD before trying. If you do, let me know if that worked or not.

I wont try it anytime soon sadly, as I need to get money and time to hunt a 1.5tb HDD for ps3, and I don't need to do a backup as I wont use my main HDDs, I will just buy a 3rd one(was planning anyway to switch the PS3 with the 160GB) and test it on that

bungiefan posted...
Depends on the PS3. Some units only reliably support 1 TB, and some can support certain drives up to 1.75 TB.

I got 2 slims, one originally 120gb and second 160gb, not sure if that matters or they are both the same
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. I can't use my old 120 HDD anymore

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived