This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what do people think of tony hawk HD that's on sale.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. what do people think of tony hawk HD that's on sale.

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
3 months ago#1
i'm looking for something hip-hop feeling to platinum. i was suggested a tony hawk game. although this game varies in difficulty ratings. i somehow managed to 100% jet set radio years ago, not sure if i have that sort of talent now for this game which may have similar difficult controls.

i was thinking of getting GTA san andreas, since GTA V cant be platinum'd at the moment, or possibly forever as far as old gen is concerned.(a trophy feature has been blocked online.)
''Never lenient... On your zenith.'' -Cam'ron
PSN: RJP_X

User Info: V I C I O U S

V I C I O U S
3 months ago#2
I got it a while back in another sale, and while the online function is either totally unavailable, or it's just that no one is ever online when I've tried it, the game itself is a solid THPS. It's basically an HD port of popular levels from THPS 1 and 2 with the same game play. I'm going to be buying the Revert pack from the sale this week I think in the near future, which will add three levels from THPS3 and a couple of skaters (Steve Caballero ftw).

The revert pack is misleading though: it makes it sound like it must be bought for you to be able to do the revert move (which makes scoring higher much more simple in combinations), but it is not necessary. THPS HD has reverts (R2) available for connecting tricks off verts.

I will let you know I looked deep into whether THPS5 (14.99 in the sale this week) would be worth a purchase too, but I heard enough bad about it (and the forsook park editor - THPS2 did it best IMO) to keep away and just keep to the HD port material. Plus there's some throwbacks for nostalgia-sake (i.e. I just got through with a skater's 100% goals and cash requirements and the game gave me Officer Dick as a character). There's also more game modes to unlock that I've barely touched.
"Liking is probably the best form of ownership, and ownership the worst form of liking" - Jose Saramago

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
3 months ago#3
V I C I O U S posted...
I got it a while back in another sale, and while the online function is either totally unavailable, or it's just that no one is ever online when I've tried it, the game itself is a solid THPS. It's basically an HD port of popular levels from THPS 1 and 2 with the same game play. I'm going to be buying the Revert pack from the sale this week I think in the near future, which will add three levels from THPS3 and a couple of skaters (Steve Caballero ftw).

The revert pack is misleading though: it makes it sound like it must be bought for you to be able to do the revert move (which makes scoring higher much more simple in combinations), but it is not necessary. THPS HD has reverts (R2) available for connecting tricks off verts.

I will let you know I looked deep into whether THPS5 (14.99 in the sale this week) would be worth a purchase too, but I heard enough bad about it (and the forsook park editor - THPS2 did it best IMO) to keep away and just keep to the HD port material. Plus there's some throwbacks for nostalgia-sake (i.e. I just got through with a skater's 100% goals and cash requirements and the game gave me Officer Dick as a character). There's also more game modes to unlock that I've barely touched.

yeah actually i do remember back in the day playing one or a few THPS's for N64 back in the day and sucking, but i remember it having some cool levels like i believe one had a UFO to skate in lol.

i was recommended THPS games from another forum. i remember like 5 years ago playing jet set radio, a skating game with a hip-hop feel massively, from the soundtrack, and the graffiti. after all that time still some of my rarest trophies, idk how i did it back then, remember starting with the tutorial which wasn't your typical tutorial, it was challenging lol. sat there for hours trying to conquer such an unordinary tutorial. but it helped me get through the game since you pretty much learned the game through its difficulty. xD

but yeah i've pretty much heard the same. everything from or after THPS 4 was a bad entry. :c
''Never lenient... On your zenith.'' -Cam'ron
PSN: RJP_X

User Info: milkmanv1

milkmanv1
3 months ago#4
I didnt like it. The new physics system felt all wrong (it's a lot "heavier" and less arcade-y) and the scoring system is different from the originals. Theres a brief three minute thrill in playing in current-gen takes of classic levels, but Id rather just play the originals
"Dude, can we, uh, bring the brewskis?"
"Yes of course, you may absolutely bring ze brewskis"

User Info: V I C I O U S

V I C I O U S
3 months ago#5
milkmanv1 posted...
I didnt like it. The new physics system felt all wrong (it's a lot "heavier" and less arcade-y) and the scoring system is different from the originals. Theres a brief three minute thrill in playing in current-gen takes of classic levels, but Id rather just play the originals

He's right, the gameplay did change a bit with the new developer, but I've found once the stats of a character are near maxed out, it plays much more like I remember.

The games Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio are not super comparable though. The trick system is different, you don't have any graffiti combos or "attacks" to do on an area or bosses, and there's no real story...
"Liking is probably the best form of ownership, and ownership the worst form of liking" - Jose Saramago

User Info: pikey87

pikey87
3 months ago#6
It's just ok. The originals were better imo.
25+ years of gaming taught me one important life lesson. You normally don't have to push start at the main menu.

User Info: Mighty-Oregon

Mighty-Oregon
3 months ago#7
I just picked it up since back when these games first came out I played the living heck out of them! They were super fun. Can't wait to dive into it
Oregon Ducks, Seattle Mariners, Indianapolis Colts, Phoenix Suns, Portland Timber

User Info: DeltaBladeX

DeltaBladeX
3 months ago#8
@V_I_C_I_O_U_S posted...
I will let you know I looked deep into whether THPS5 (14.99 in the sale this week) would be worth a purchase too

I'd be interested in hearing about that one myself if only because I'm heavily interested, and short of the motion board games, I have the rest in the series, even that DS game that used a gyro cart. Never liked the Skate series unfortunately, and since my PS2 died yesterday, can't even go back to the old ones. :(
I'm not lazy, I just don't care
http://backloggery.com/DeltaBladeXNZ
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. what do people think of tony hawk HD that's on sale.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived