This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does the hair dryer trick still work on ylod? any alternate ways to get data?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. does the hair dryer trick still work on ylod? any alternate ways to get data?

User Info: doowop

doowop
4 months ago#1
ive had a very dead ps3 for over 4 years now. the hard drive has some data and my other account on it that i need. do or should i take out the hdd before i do this? is it even a guarantee? any other way to retrieve this data from it without this ps3?
doowop dooby doowop doolang

User Info: potatodood

potatodood
4 months ago#2
I tried that trick on my ps3. Either I did it wrong, or it just plain didn't work for me. Probably going to go to a professional and hope it will be alive long enough to pull some save data off of it.

doowop
4 months ago#3
potatodood posted...
I tried that trick on my ps3. Either I did it wrong, or it just plain didn't work for me. Probably going to go to a professional and hope it will be alive long enough to pull some save data off of it.

how long did you hair dry it for?

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 months ago#4
Interesting seeing this topic today, because I brought a very old PS3 fat with YLOD back to life last night, using wife's hair dryer. It was in VERY bad shape, would blink a yellow light then flash the red light with 3 bips as soon as I turned it on.

First I put it apart and cleared everything. It didn't have dust inside it, it had actual DIRT, like it was buried. After cleaning everything up, picked mother board, then turned on wife's hair dryer (it's a professional one so air is VERY HOT) and applied hot air at the GPU and CPU, kept the air exit 1cm distant from the CPU and GPU, doing circles "inside" them.

Did 3 minutes circling hot air at each, then 5 straight minutes at each. Left it cooling down for 20 minutes, applied new (generic) thermal paste, assembled it with no hopes of it turning on at all, but for my surprise, IT WORKED. I was able to turn it on and use HDMI cable up to the screen where it says it's missing the HDD. Now I need to get a HDD tray so I can use my spare 160GB HDD and put it back to work.

Not sure how long it will last, but it's a BC CECHE01, so I think it's a win for me, considering I paid $5 for it. Anyway, it should work at least for enough time to back up your data.

About the HDD, if you remove it and try to use it in another PS3, you will lose all data, since it will format it when you put it in another PS3.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

doowop
4 months ago#5
rafamaximo posted...
Interesting seeing this topic today, because I brought a very old PS3 fat with YLOD back to life last night, using wife's hair dryer. It was in VERY bad shape, would blink a yellow light then flash the red light with 3 bips as soon as I turned it on.

First I put it apart and cleared everything. It didn't have dust inside it, it had actual DIRT, like it was buried. After cleaning everything up, picked mother board, then turned on wife's hair dryer (it's a professional one so air is VERY HOT) and applied hot air at the GPU and CPU, kept the air exit 1cm distant from the CPU and GPU, doing circles "inside" them.

Did 3 minutes circling hot air at each, then 5 straight minutes at each. Left it cooling down for 20 minutes, applied new (generic) thermal paste, assembled it with no hopes of it turning on at all, but for my surprise, IT WORKED. I was able to turn it on and use HDMI cable up to the screen where it says it's missing the HDD. Now I need to get a HDD tray so I can use my spare 160GB HDD and put it back to work.

Not sure how long it will last, but it's a BC CECHE01, so I think it's a win for me, considering I paid $5 for it. Anyway, it should work at least for enough time to back up your data.

About the HDD, if you remove it and try to use it in another PS3, you will lose all data, since it will format it when you put it in another PS3.

thank you! i am planning on removing hdd before i use the hair dryer. i don't want to somehow damage that part. id actually like to upload all data so i can get another ps3 and play these games with the data. i hate that it formats when you put it into another ps3, major buzz kill! i may try this tonight and hope it works

rafamaximo
4 months ago#6
doowop posted...
rafamaximo posted...

thank you! i am planning on removing hdd before i use the hair dryer. i don't want to somehow damage that part. id actually like to upload all data so i can get another ps3 and play these games with the data. i hate that it formats when you put it into another ps3, major buzz kill! i may try this tonight and hope it works

You will have to remove the HDD to do that trick I mentioned, you have to literally put it ALL apart piece by piece and get mother board "naked". Just a warning, while warming up CPU and GPU with the hair dryer, get the mother board in a tight position, where it won't move at all. And don't touch it for at least 20 minutes after you are done.

Another warning, this is likely a temporary solution, I was able to bring that old fat back to life but I know it will die again eventually (dealing with old s*** and fixing it is kind of a hobby now). Not sure how long it will last once I put a HDD in it and use it for actual play. But it should be enough for you to backup your HDD data.

Actually, if you want to use that data in another PS3, you will want to use transfer data facility instead of backing it up to an external drive.

User Info: potatodood

potatodood
4 months ago#7
doowop posted...
potatodood posted...

Can't remember. Like you, mine broke years ago. Whatever the recommended time was for whichever website I followed. I want to say 5-10 minutes but I'm really pulling that number out of thin air. The one difference between me and the other guy is that I didn't take mine apart. I just blew air into the vents. Maybe I should take it apart to look inside.

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
3 months ago#8
potatodood posted...
doowop posted...
potatodood posted...

Can't remember. Like you, mine broke years ago. Whatever the recommended time was for whichever website I followed. I want to say 5-10 minutes but I'm really pulling that number out of thin air. The one difference between me and the other guy is that I didn't take mine apart. I just blew air into the vents. Maybe I should take it apart to look inside.

I did something similar long ago, but I didn't use a hairdryer I put the MB in an oven at max temperature for about 15 minutes - this was like 6 years ago and the PS3 is still working last time I checked, I never use it though, it's stashed away because the disc drive isn't working anymore, must have done something wrong reassembling the system, plus while it plays videos, it doesn't play any games even from the harddrive... Lol, rip I guess...

That said generally with daily use an in that way fixed PS3 should work about a couple of months from what I'm reading.

Also I'm now wondering how many people used a hairdryer without disassembling and cleaning the system first lol...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLxXr_c4NJM

rafamaximo
3 months ago#9
There's a trick where people would cover all air exits and use the hairdyer to flow hot air inside the console until it would turn on. This is only to retrieve save data, doing it as I did may last you months, maybe years it you are lucky. Or, worst case scenario, a few weeks

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#10
rafamaximo posted...
Or, worst case scenario, a few weeks

Oh, that's not the worst-case scenario. That's actually the average and it's good luck if you make it a few months. Worst-case scenario is it won't start at all after you do this, or it could be fixed for a couple of hours or a couple of days.

Definitely don't rely on this as a long-term fix but if you're just trying to recover data it should work. Note that a hair dryer isn't quite the same as a heat gun and you'll be blowing hot air over a lot of the motherboard, and if you expose the capacitors to too much heat they'll burst and your system will never start again. I forget how much space you have around the GPU before you hit any capacitors but I'm sure it's not more than 2 inches, so when you're moving the hair dryer around you'll want to try not to pass over the capacitors and even try to be aware of which way the hot air is being pushed so you limit how much heat you expose them to. They aren't SUPER-sensitive but you certainly wouldn't be the first person to ruin their capacitors while doing this.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. does the hair dryer trick still work on ylod? any alternate ways to get data?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived