This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games with Character Creation

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Games with Character Creation

User Info: mrbawkbagawk

mrbawkbagawk
3 months ago#31
Soul calibur 3 had the best character creation I know of. Skyrim was pretty good too. Oblivion had stupid looking characters though lol
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being man" (h.s. Thompson)

User Info: Eric037

Eric037
3 months ago#32
ElDudorino:
Thanks.
That's OK. I've generally been equipping stuff (other than weapons) based on appearance more than stats anyway. I'll worry about stats if I get to something harder.

Warriors aren't my favourite, I just mean that I had more trouble figuring out/being effective with some of the other vocations than I did this one. Yeah, the jump attack was useful (I actually dealt with harpies easiest with Warrior).
I didn't try all its moves, but Pommel Bash also helped land some follow-up skills easily. I remember using it a lot with some stab/launch move. Corona Slash was really helpful for knocking enemies down around me.

Haha, yes, I've seen the Oblivion faces.
I have already played Skyrim and I enjoyed it overall. I just wish the PS3 version performed better. I don't mind some frame rate problems, but I mean how much it would freeze sometimes just annoyed me. It would freeze at seemingly random times, like when I wasn't even doing anything particularly eventful that the system would be straining.

mrbawkbagawk:
Thanks.
I enjoyed SoulCalibur III, but I liked the creation in IV and especially V even better.
http://eric-3.deviantart.com/
http://backloggery.com/eric3

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#33
Eric037 posted...
I've generally been equipping stuff (other than weapons) based on appearance more than stats anyway.

Yeah, I basically play Fashion Dogma with my Arisen until near the end of the main campaign and I always somewhat do with my pawns although I still make sure to get 100% resistance to some ailments on them. Armor doesn't really even make a difference in the main campaign because each upgrade you find is like a +2 to defense so you go from 700 to 702 defense and you will never notice the difference. It's only once you get into the last couple of areas before the main campaign's boss that you start finding armor with reasonable resists and amounts of defense that matter.

This is my team on PC, where I made multiple Steam accounts so I could have a full party of my own pawns. The redhead is an Arisen and everybody else are pawns just wearing gear that I thought looked cool, including one piece of fighter armor from the Black Cat:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630148917

Eric037
2 months ago#34
Yeah, I'm near the end of the campaign now. I've collected enough of the items to proceed to the last couple of quests, but I'm gonna do clean up. The dungeon before the last couple of quests was an unexpected kind-of difficulty spike. I survived most of it, but I did not expect to be fighting multiple bosses/mini-bosses at the same time like that...

Then again, I was also playing as a low-rank Sorcerer and couldn't really attack very fast (or even be guaranteed to get my attack out at all), so that definitely made it harder. I will say though, it was pretty cool-looking just taking my weapon off and punching a golem to death. :D

I'm going to check out Bitterblack Isle next before finishing the main story.

Ha, I wish I could've made my whole pawn team. That's cool, thanks for sharing. That's some nice gear. I especially like the guy in the helmet and the girl on the right.

ElDudorino
2 months ago#35
Eric037 posted...
I've collected enough of the items to proceed to the last couple of quests, but I'm gonna do clean up.

Are you talking about wakestones? If so, that's considered the post-game and the main campaign is already finished. You haven't gotten to the game's true end yet but once you do that'll be everything and you'll be into New Game+. So yeah, this is more or less the perfect time to do Bitterblack Isle.

That place is tough on a different level, though. Just a tip: if you see the grim reaper, RUN! Eventually you'll be able to take him down but it won't be the first time you meet. And I recommend going in as whatever vocation you're strongest with, since things escalate quickly after the first room.

Eric037
2 months ago#36
The Wakestones are considered post-game? Oh. I usually don't consider a main game done until the full credits roll.

Thanks. Yeah, I noticed Bitterblack Isle was tough, haha. It was fine for a while, but it started getting really tough later on. Some enemies seemed to be taking little to no damage and I either desperately chipped away at their health or just had to run away from them near the last few levels (especially when my pawns were lost). Honestly, I even got past one boss by luring him into falling into a pit.

It was even harder for me because I was a Sorcerer and it was hard casting the longer spells (or sometimes even the shorter spells). There were some bosses and other fights where I felt practically useless. However, it did actually save me in several fights too, being able to cast highly-destructive spells and from a distance if necessary.

I actually went through the whole Isle as a Sorcerer, and that definitely isn't my best or most comfortable vocation. I was just trying to max out the rank as I played normally and didn't want to switch out until I was done. I'm weird that way.

I finished ranking up Sorcerer just before the final boss, so I switched my vocation to Ranger for the final boss. That thing was tough. I'm guessing I'm underpowered; I chipped away at that guy for literally about an hour (I mean one fight, not over the course of multiple tries) before I killed him with daggers. My longbow didn't seem to do any damage.

My pawns didn't seem to be very helpful for offense. One was mostly healing, one was just walking around with a shield up and never seemed to attack, and I don't know what the last one did but she got sucked into the vortex early on. So I was hacking away by myself. I couldn't even grab onto his head for long before getting knocked off, so I just gave up and hacked wherever I could. I was lucky I also had a dodge roll to cancel animations and move a bit faster without using stamina. I was almost out of healing items and really had to play it safe on his last few healthbars.

So relieved I actually beat him! I really didn't think that would've/should've worked how it did.
I have not beaten the Grim Reaper though. I didn't even try to fight that guy. I saw what he did to my pawns and didn't think I could do anything myself. Maybe someday.

Bitterblack Isle was really interesting. It kind of felt like a different game since the structure was so different. In the main campaign, I was spending a lot of time doing side quests, running back and forth around the overworld, keeping track of the time of day/getting daylight. Here, it was just a giant dungeon and survival.

ElDudorino
2 months ago#37
The thing about BBI is the weapons you find there aren't just a *little* stronger than your old ones. They are *way* stronger. So finding and uncursing the cursed weapons is huge for your offense against stronger enemies.

Also, FYI the dungeon changes after you first beat the boss. The bosses reset and some encounters become more intense, and some loot changes too. And, the final boss gets a second form that's stronger than the first one. So there's still something for you to work towards.

Eric037
2 months ago#38
Of all the cursed items, I was hoping for weapons the most. Unfortunately, even after I went through all of Bitterblack Isle (the first time), I didn't get any weapons stronger than what I already had. :(
I just used Dragon's Vein as my dagger.

I am going through again, this time as a Strider (though I may change to Assassin). I can't believe I waited so long to try Strider. Mad Dash would've been nice while I was still running around the overworld and I love how some skills connect seamlessly into each other, like that jump kick into Splitter or Implicate and Kisses. I wish I had more slots to equip skills...

I don't expect to make it to the end again with how tougher it seems to be getting, but it would be nice to at least find some good level 3 cursed items as I go through.

ElDudorino
2 months ago#39
Yeah, the likelihood of finding higher-level cursed items goes up on a second trip, although they still aren't common so a lot of people save-scum for them. By the way, if you still have any Moonbeam Gems you haven't used (you get one in a chest for beating the final boss along with the ones you find sitting around in the resting rooms), one of the chests in Duskmoon Tower where you first met Barroch contains this bow:
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Ire

If you happen to have Dragon's Rancor already and it's Goldforged (rarified by Barroch after Dragonforging), then you aren't looking at much of an improvement. But if your bow isn't Goldforged or if you don't have Dragon's Rancor, it could be a sweet upgrade.

And, yeah. Most people underestimate the Strider because it's a starter vocation. It seems like either the Ranger or the Assassin should just be a straight upgrade, which is what I assumed for a long time. But once you mess around with the Strider you'll find that it actually has the potential to be one of the deadliest vocations in a lot of scenarios. Don't forget to grab the Eminence augment, which makes your Splitter attack way more powerful as long as you either jump or use the jump kick move first. And of course, the Leg-Strength augment. What it says it does is that it makes you one weight class lighter for the purposes of moving, so if you were at Average weight it would count as Light, or Light would count as Very Light, etc. But there's actually a hidden weight class behind Very Light that can only be accessed with the Leg-Strength augment, which makes you a hell of a runner. And of course you can carry more stuff before you start to feel out of shape.

ElDudorino
2 months ago#40
Eric037 posted...
I don't expect to make it to the end again with how tougher it seems to be getting, but it would be nice to at least find some good level 3 cursed items as I go through.

Finding the right level 3 cursed gear makes a massive difference, but yeah, getting through BBI a second time is tough. Remember the empty city with all the ghosts before the final boss? Yeah, it won't be empty this time... far from it. And the second form of the final boss is a lot tougher than the first form, which is already tough on a first playthrough. I imagine a lot of people don't finish a second runthrough, first of all because the game doesn't make it that clear that it'll be different and secondly because it's more of an optional extra challenge that I don't think the devs really intended for everybody to do.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Games with Character Creation

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived