This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

time for a new game (TPS recommendations)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. time for a new game (TPS recommendations)

User Info: mrbawkbagawk

mrbawkbagawk
3 months ago#1
***Firstly I would like to apologize to those who have replied to my past posts (I.e. the metal gear solid one). I have limited net access and often I come back and find my topic archived and am unable to reply. I'm too slow for the brave new world. Just know I've read all the replies and appreciate them, however its a bit annoying that they get archived "so quickly" (I say this in quotes because I'm sure that's an opinion only I hold lol)***

Okay, now onto the topic at hand (I promise I will try and keep up with this one better):

Ive been working a lot lately, but even with my limited ps3 time, I'm realizing I desperately need a new game to get into. I have a ton of games I've barely played (mass effect 2, god of war collection, infamous) but its because I just can't get into them at the moment. I recently finished tomb raider 2013 for the second time, same with uncharted 2 and 3, the last of us etc. Currently I'm messing around with max Payne 3, GTA 5 and rdr but only to kill time (oh, and the stick of truth lol).

I'm looking for something I've never played but fits into the third person shooter/action genre. I tried sleeping dogs and enjoyed it for a while but I seriously got tired of all the damn melee. Literally, my hands hurt. It seems though I prefer TPS games, many of them venture into annoying areas. Here's the quick list of aspects that make a TPS game good to me.

* l1/l2 aim and r1/r2 fire. I hate games that have aiming like saints row and a few others. I like a control scheme similar to uncharted and mp3 and all the ones listed above.
*realistic environments and weapons. I tire quickly of outer space and laser guns. I like pistols, shotguns, submachine guns etc. Even in fallout I generally only used "old school" weapons such as the Lincoln repeater and combat shotgun.
*cover systems aren't 100% necessary, but I like having the option to take cover
*some run and gun aspects are fun too
*decently large variety of weapons.

I played ghost recon future soldier (or whatever its called). I enjoyed it but got kind of bored toward the end. Managing a team is okay, but I prefer the whole max Payne/tomb raider/uncharted thing where your only worry is you.
Keep in mind I'm not against playing some futuristic type shooters, but I would like to stay away from them if possible (one I'm considering is binary domain, despite being both futuristic and team oriented).

Any suggestions?
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being man" (h.s. Thompson)

User Info: Landojesus

Landojesus
3 months ago#2
Spec Ops: The Line
NP:Elite: Dangerous, Dead Cells, DK:Tropical Freeze, Super Stardust HD XBL/STEAM: Landojesus PSN: Ohiaeco -Always down to co op, send me a request!

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
3 months ago#3
Binary Domain. You dont manage the team. Just play it as a shooter. Voice commands are only for immersiveness but they fail.

User Info: Varron

Varron
3 months ago#4
Inversion is pretty much Gears of War with a hint of Mad Max.
Reddit girls are trouble.
PS4/PS3 Gamer

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
3 months ago#5
I came here to talk about Ghost Recon, it's the best TPS I have played in PS3, I like games where I can go at my own pace, no need for run and gun. Went full stealth through my campaign run, alone, and loved it, finished two guerrilla maps with kid. I am assuming you got bored at the last last mission, or maybe during one at the enemy country, after the sniper session when get off the building and go through the streets.

If you wanna play it later tonight, let me know.

Recently I have played a bit of Red Faction Guerrilla and liked it, will certainly play it more when I am done with my current games. Destroying buildings is fun. This is a pretty old game so don't expect top notch graphics, not sure if online is active (or populated) for this one though.

Also, check out on Lost Planet games, Vanquish, Dark Void and Mass Effect games... and those are all TPS games I can remember, not a shooter fan myself. I know, you didn't wanted any futuristic one, but kind of hard to think a TPS game that is not like that.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

User Info: pikey87

pikey87
3 months ago#6
This is one of my favorite genres. I have to go to bed since I need to be at work in 6 hours (despite just getting out 20 minutes ago. ugh.) But unless I work 16 hours again I'll post several tomorrow. If not tomorrow, I will tuesday. Also, any interest in FPS with a TPS cover mechanic?
25+ years of gaming taught me one important life lesson. You normally don't have to push start at the main menu.

mrbawkbagawk
3 months ago#7
Nothing showed up. Were you trying to post a link?

About the question you asked, I'm willing to try anything. I'm not genre specific, but in the past TPS games have given me the most joy. I played through dishonored and fallout3 (a game I wish had a cover system), the south park game, little big planet. I'm open to anything for the most part.
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being man" (h.s. Thompson)

mrbawkbagawk
3 months ago#8
str8Knowledge posted...
Binary Domain. You dont manage the team. Just play it as a shooter. Voice commands are only for immersiveness but they fail.

Good. That one was on my short list. I don't have voice command capability anyways :)

mrbawkbagawk
2 months ago#9
rafamaximo posted...
I came here to talk about Ghost Recon, it's the best TPS I have played in PS3, I like games where I can go at my own pace, no need for run and gun. Went full stealth through my campaign run, alone, and loved it, finished two guerrilla maps with kid. I am assuming you got bored at the last last mission, or maybe during one at the enemy country, after the sniper session when get off the building and go through the streets.

If you wanna play it later tonight, let me know.

Recently I have played a bit of Red Faction Guerrilla and liked it, will certainly play it more when I am done with my current games. Destroying buildings is fun. This is a pretty old game so don't expect top notch graphics, not sure if online is active (or populated) for this one though.

Also, check out on Lost Planet games, Vanquish, Dark Void and Mass Effect games... and those are all TPS games I can remember, not a shooter fan myself. I know, you didn't wanted any futuristic one, but kind of hard to think a TPS game that is not like that.

Red faction I enjoyed to a degree but I barely got into it because 1.as I remember their aiming controls/mechanics are too similar to saints row, where you just sort of face whatever you're shooting and 2.because I was doing demolition for a living at the time and didn't feel like breaking more crap in a game. However, its one I plan to go back to eventually. I've also fallen out of love with most open world games.

As far as mass effect 2 I started it but couldn't figure out how to get off my ship in the beginning so I sort of drifted away from it.

Ghost recon future solider was really good. I can't remember why I stopped playing it. I think it was partially because I started some other game I enjoyed even more and now whenever I try and play it i keep dying because I forget how the hell to play it. I can't even remember what country I'm in at the moment.
I also like games where I can go at my own pace, but also enjoy some run and gun. Even in games like max Payne 3 and uncharted I tend to pick off people from far away/cover to thin them out and then do a mix of balls out run and gun stuff and cover shooting.
I'd love to play online, but have no internet connection aside from this phone. I'm a caveman.

I will certainly look into the others though.

mrbawkbagawk
2 months ago#10
Why is there such a huge lack of TPS games with actual firearms? I was so happy when I played the last of us and tomb raider. Analogue weapons man....lol
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. time for a new game (TPS recommendations)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived