This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation 3 Firmware update 4.82 out!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Playstation 3 Firmware update 4.82 out!

User Info: kaminarikid

kaminarikid
4 weeks ago#31
Yeah, I'm pretty the "all PS3s can be hacked" statement is false.
https://card.psnprofiles.com/2/Kaminari_Kid.png

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 weeks ago#32
W_R posted...
rafamaximo posted...
Wrong, my friend. Models CECHA and CECHB have PS2 hardware built in indeed. But there are Fats able to run PS2 games through software emulation, models CECHC and CECHE. Same emulator is used to play PS2 classics. Sony took it from us because they swanted to, whoever told you it was about "horsepower", was lying. PS4 has more than enough, so why Sony didn't allow us to play our PS2 games in PS4 yet?

I don't remember what CE models correspond to what releases anymore. But the answer to your question is that your premise is just wrong, sorry. Like I don't know what to tell you there. The OG PS3 could run every single PS2 game flawlessly. Then they removed the emotion engine for 80 GB version (exchanged for partial emulation, later not possible for slim models because even more PS2 hardware was removed) and many games no longer worked. So then if you're right, and the cell could always run PS2 games via emulation that Sony had, then that was a pointless endeavor and the PS3 could have cost $100 less from the start. I'd say you have a high burden of proof on this. :o)

Well, pikey already nailed it.

Do a simple google for PS2 games running in modded PS3s. PS2 emulation was officially removed with slims, launched in 09/2009. God of War Collection was released in 11/2009, first PS2 Classics landed in PSN 10/04/2011. You can keep telling that lame excuse to yourself, but you know... other people will probably think you're naive (at best).

Sony included PS2 hardware in PS3 because they though it would help boost sales agains Xbox 360, who was one year ahead in sales and already established. That was a stupid business decision taken by guys in suits who probably never played a video game before (just like most decision taken by big companies). Including software emulation was a measure to cut on costs, so PS3 would sell even more. Backwards compatibility was a very popular feature back then. Sony realized removing it would be an opportunity to make extra money through remasters / HD collections / etc. And that was a wise business decision, even though it was not friendly to Sony consumers. Why? Several reasons...

God of War 3 was released in 2010. Sony removed BC feature and released God of War Collection a couple months later. They had little to almost no cost porting both games and compiling them in a single disc, but sold 2,6 million copies of it. That created even more hype for GoW 3 release. GoW 3 sold under 5 million copies and probably had a huge budget.

What game do you think was more profitable to Sony?

In the end, it's what companies do. They try to find ways for people paying extra money for something they already have and like. Another example of this is mandatory PS+ for online play in PS4.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0
(message deleted)

User Info: W_R

W_R
4 weeks ago#34
rafamaximo posted...
Do a simple google for PS2 games running in modded PS3s.

Please provide your own links and evidence. You guys are the ones making the claim that Sony put in hardware they didn't need to run PS2 games when they had a software solution the whole time and still have the software solution in every firmware even though they could remove it from the firmware so that it couldn't be exposed through an exploit. It's a rather absurd claim, and the burden of proof for it lies on you, not me.

Despite that, I did a google search for you anyway for "PS2 games running in modded PS3s". The first thing that comes up is a youtube video "How to Play PS2/PS1 games in jailbroken PS3". The video appears to show someone opening a program spoofed as a PS3 game, and afterwards they are able to load a PS1 disc. Except every single PS3 can already play PS1 games! There is no need to hack a PS3 to do this, because it already does it. Despite the title, there's nothing about PS2 games in it. Sorry, but you guys are going to have to do better than this. :o)

rafamaximo posted...
PS2 emulation was officially removed with slims, launched in 09/2009.

Because all of the hardware needed for it was removed from the slim models (not just the emotion engine which was only in the OG 60 GB and 20 GB models, but the other PS2 hardware too).

rafamaximo posted...
God of War Collection was released in 11/2009, first PS2 Classics landed in PSN 10/04/2011. You can keep telling that lame excuse to yourself, but you know... other people will probably think you're naive (at best).

Ok? I don't care if some people that believe in a Sony conspiracy theory think I'm naive.

rafamaximo posted...
Sony included PS2 hardware in PS3 because they though it would help boost sales agains Xbox 360, who was one year ahead in sales and already established.

How would it boost sales against them? It raised the cost (necessary to recoup the cost of the hardware) and you guys are saying it was completely unnecessary because there was already a software solution for it. Are you really saying they put in this unnecessary hardware just so they could later remove it so they could resell PS2 games and everyone would think they had to remove it to reduce the cost? And if so, why didn't they do the same thing with PS1 games, which already had a software solution and can still be played via that software solution on all PS3s, and are also sold on the store digitally like the remade PS2 games?

rafamaximo posted...
That was a stupid business decision taken by guys in suits who probably never played a video game before (just like most decision taken by big companies).

Ahh, so the unnecessary hardware was because Sony execs didn't know there was already a software solution that did the same thing. No engineers were able to get a huge cost reducing measure up the chain and believed. Really?

rafamaximo posted...
In the end, it's what companies do. They try to find ways for people paying extra money for something they already have and like. Another example of this is mandatory PS+ for online play in PS4.

That was an up front, out in the open, policy change that everyone was made aware of before the PS4 was even released. There were no underhanded tactics involved and Sony did not lie about why they were doing it, like you are claiming they lied about in removing PS2 hardware and this supposed PS2 software solution, that's still there under the hood apparently but they keep releasing patches to hide it better from hackers instead of just actually removing it. =P

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 weeks ago#35
Damn... after all this years in this website and I still bite the bait sometimes.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
2 weeks ago#36
pikey87 posted...
W_R posted...
rafamaximo posted...
Wrong, my friend. Models CECHA and CECHB have PS2 hardware built in indeed. But there are Fats able to run PS2 games through software emulation, models CECHC and CECHE. Same emulator is used to play PS2 classics. Sony took it from us because they wanted to, whoever told you it was about "horsepower", was lying. PS4 has more than enough, so why Sony didn't allow us to play our PS2 games in PS4 yet?

I don't remember what CE models correspond to what releases anymore. But the answer to your question is that your premise is just wrong, sorry. Like I don't know what to tell you there. The OG PS3 could run every single PS2 game flawlessly. Then they removed the emotion engine for 80 GB version (exchanged for partial emulation, later not possible for slim models because even more PS2 hardware was removed) and many games no longer worked. So then if you're right, and the cell could always run PS2 games via emulation that Sony had, then that was a pointless endeavor and the PS3 could have cost $100 less from the start. I'd say you have a high burden of proof on this. :o)

All PS3s can be hacked to run PS2 games with 0 physical mods. The functionality is there, sony chose to remove it.

exactly,and i am speaking from experience. even hackable slims can do it. it doesnt support every single ps2 game,but the majority work with no issues.
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

W_R
2 weeks ago#37
FFTHEWINNER posted...
pikey87 posted...
W_R posted...
rafamaximo posted...
Wrong, my friend. Models CECHA and CECHB have PS2 hardware built in indeed. But there are Fats able to run PS2 games through software emulation, models CECHC and CECHE. Same emulator is used to play PS2 classics. Sony took it from us because they wanted to, whoever told you it was about "horsepower", was lying. PS4 has more than enough, so why Sony didn't allow us to play our PS2 games in PS4 yet?

All PS3s can be hacked to run PS2 games with 0 physical mods. The functionality is there, sony chose to remove it.

exactly,and i am speaking from experience. even hackable slims can do it. it doesnt support every single ps2 game,but the majority work with no issues.

Well then I have the exact same questions from you that I did for Pikey. Can you provide some evidence of this beyond your personal experience? And what is your explanation for why Sony went through the the whole deal with the emotion engine if perfect software emulation was already there?

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
2 weeks ago#38
W_R posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
pikey87 posted...
W_R posted...
rafamaximo posted...

Well then I have the exact same questions from you that I did for Pikey. Can you provide some evidence of this beyond your personal experience? And what is your explanation for why Sony went through the the whole deal with the emotion engine if perfect software emulation was already there?

for the second part,because the emulation isnt perfect. some games dont work,and those that do occasionally have glitches/stutter/etc,while the EE insured perfect compatibility with every game.

for the first part, simply read online. there are tons of guides and tutorials on how to do it. i certainly wont go the distance just to convince you when the entire internet has proof. if you dont want to believe it then as you wish. doesnt matter with me.
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

W_R
2 weeks ago#39
FFTHEWINNER posted...
for the second part,because the emulation isnt perfect. some games dont work,and those that do occasionally have glitches/stutter/etc,while the EE insured perfect compatibility with every game.

Well then it's exactly what I've been saying. Sony doesn't have some magic emulator embedded in the software that plays PS2 games that they took away just to sell digital versions. They had hardware in the system that let you play PS2 games. They removed that (in 2 stages) to lower the cost and when partial emulation was no longer adequate they stopped trying to emulate because games don't work with that. The PS3 is not powerful enough to emulate PS2 hardware. That's why the embedded hardware was necessary to play PS2 discs that were programmed for that hardware.

FFTHEWINNER posted...
for the first part, simply read online. there are tons of guides and tutorials on how to do it.

As I said before, I googled exactly what I was told to, and what comes up (first result) is a video that claims to show how to play PS2 games on a PS3, but actually shows a PS1 game being loaded. All PS3s can already play all PS1 games flawlessly, so this is useless.

FFTHEWINNER posted...
i certainly wont go the distance just to convince you when the entire internet has proof. if you dont want to believe it then as you wish. doesnt matter with me.

Even one link would be sufficient. But no, I don't believe you.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Gaara_fan

Gaara_fan
2 weeks ago#40
FYI: Don't waste time arguing with W_R, he is known for doing bait and run threads.
"Prepare to be purified. Divine Assault, Ether Strike!" - Freya, Valkyrie Profile 2
https://psnprofiles.com/Otonio_Bruno
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Playstation 3 Firmware update 4.82 out!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.