This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So are the Shenmue games and the Yakuza games very similar ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So are the Shenmue games and the Yakuza games very similar ?

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
3 weeks ago#1
topic
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: Lamace

Lamace
3 weeks ago#2
Yes and no. From my experience with both, Shenmue is all about the little details, while Yakuza is about the bigger picture. But they're both open world martial arts games, with tons of stuff to do in them.
RPG terms I use;
Traditional RPG, Advanced RPG, Action RPG, Strategy RPG, and Hybrid RPG

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
3 weeks ago#3
This is like comparing Battlefield and CoD, Pro Evolution Soccer and Fifa, Gran Turismo and Forza. They are all similar games but yet much different from each other.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: VeloticDecadenc

VeloticDecadenc
3 weeks ago#4
rafamaximo posted...
This is like comparing Battlefield and CoD, Pro Evolution Soccer and Fifa, Gran Turismo and Forza. They are all similar games but yet much different from each other.

Gran Turismo and Forza is pretty much the perfect analogy. (Shenmue being GT, and Yakuza Forza in this situation)

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
3 weeks ago#5
The yakuza guy said it is continuibg from Spikeout.

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
3 weeks ago#6
rafamaximo posted...

I'd argue that they are more different than that. The games have a very different flow from each other. Shenmue is about small details, searching, talking to people, working to raise money for an objective, passing time and planning in order to progress while Yakuza is basically about following the pink dot on the minimap when you want to progress the story (I do not mean to imply this is necessarily worse but it is different). The rest of the stuff in Yakuza is optional and for fun/levels/money/loot. Yakuza is much more linear in its story but at the same time has more optional side contents.

I think there is a good chance that a Shenmue fan will like a Yakuza game because there are similarities but I think the games are very, very different in the way they play out. Nothing really gets closer to Shenmue than Yakuza though.
Ryse > Knack

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
3 weeks ago#7
Well I don't really like waiting and talking to people and looking for clues too much. I want a more straight forward action game, where I know where to go next with not to much guessing. So I should just play Yakuza games then ?
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: DynamoManX

DynamoManX
3 weeks ago#8
Lamace posted...
Yes and no. From my experience with both, Shenmue is all about the little details, while Yakuza is about the bigger picture. But they're both open world martial arts games, with tons of stuff to do in them.

THIS. Though I wonder if Shenmue would've eventually gone down the Yakuza route if it had more installments over the last 15+years.
What were you looking for you wine-cooler sipping pansy, a witty sig??? Carry on.

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
2 weeks ago#9
Kano92 posted...
Well I don't really like waiting and talking to people and looking for clues too much. I want a more straight forward action game, where I know where to go next with not to much guessing. So I should just play Yakuza games then ?

I'd say they are pretty straightforward compared to Shenmue since most of the side content is optional. They're a bit RPG-like still so it's not a completely straightforward action game. Expect lots of story and some exploration.
Ryse > Knack

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
2 weeks ago#10
Kano92 posted...

I don't know if either of them are simply "straight forward action" games. Yakuza is more of a brawler-RPG hybrid.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So are the Shenmue games and the Yakuza games very similar ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived