This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fat PS3 Other OS class action lawsuit....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Fat PS3 Other OS class action lawsuit....

User Info: ThrillKillFan

ThrillKillFan
4 weeks ago#1
Apparently there's a class action suit involving Sony for them having removed the Other OS function from Fat PS3's back in 2010. The settlement amount is up to $65, which of course will likely vary based on the number of people who file claims.

You can file a claim HERE if you wish to take part in this:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/828084-sony-playstation-3-other-os-class-action-settlement/
Internet forum logic: When my opinion agrees with yours we're good. When it doesn't, the one with the different opinion is 'whining'. Gotta love the internet!

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 weeks ago#2
Is this thing still going? I thought Sony had distributed money for this a long time ago already... If I file a claim they will give me $65 in store credit? If that's the case, I think I'll pass... probably not going to use it anyway
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
4 weeks ago#3
The whole thing was dumb anyway. Realistically who ACTUALLY wanted to install Linux on PS3 anyway? Also people were blaming Sony yet it was because of an exploit that was found with the option that would have opened the floodgates hacking and piracy that Sony removed it so the blame should have gone onto the hackers and not Sony.

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
4 weeks ago#4
It's only for US residents.

>_<

User Info: revengine

revengine
4 weeks ago#5
Pengu1n posted...
The whole thing was dumb anyway. Realistically who ACTUALLY wanted to install Linux on PS3 anyway?

I can't recall specific details but I'm certain I remember some people be pretty excited about using their PS3 as a Linux server. Having a Linux server with the PS3's BD optical drive and the audio codecs at that price were the main draw.
Having a level of standards is going to open you up to criticism of hypocrisy from people with no standards.

ThrillKillFan
4 weeks ago#6
Pengu1n posted...
The whole thing was dumb anyway. Realistically who ACTUALLY wanted to install Linux on PS3 anyway? Also people were blaming Sony yet it was because of an exploit that was found with the option that would have opened the floodgates hacking and piracy that Sony removed it so the blame should have gone onto the hackers and not Sony.

@Pengu1n

But at same time it's like advertising backwards compatibility and then removing that feature because you obviously can't remove the Blu-Ray capability of your console that you're using as a Trojan Horse to get that shiny new format into as many minds as possible as a 'must have'.

Sure. It's nice because of the scratch resistance. But a must have it is NOT.

Any time a company takes AWAY functions you've paid for, even if you have NO intention of ever using them, consumers should be up in arms over it and demanding something for it. It's like Sony removing digital games from the store that you bought and paid for with or without notice. I paid money for those items, I expect to continue to have access to them.

But most consumers are apparently fine with letting companies run roughshod over them. It's why gaming is where it is with all of the pay to play and other nonsense nowadays.
Internet forum logic: When my opinion agrees with yours we're good. When it doesn't, the one with the different opinion is 'whining'. Gotta love the internet!

User Info: barf_syndrome

barf_syndrome
4 weeks ago#7
I can't wait to get $5 out of this.

User Info: yahya_no_1

yahya_no_1
4 weeks ago#8
Pengu1n posted...

Uhhh no....not really

If you advertise a product to be part of the system, then change your mind half way, the number of people who wanted to use that OS for whatever reasons, be it 2%, these guys were still tricked into buying it, I know a number of people who used to test things with the other OS with PS3.(mostl to see how far it can be improved and preform )

Same thing with me, when they had the option to share your downloaded games between 5 PS3s, whats a BIG reason why I got it over the X360, it was advertised as a feature with the PSN network, instead of a......... the very least grandfathering the ones who bought prior to their change, they screwed me and a number of people over..........and don't get me started a the .MKV video formats

Yes I have 2 PS3 and was planning for a 3rd for LAN testing reasons and that killed it for me

But really karma hit Sony big, if they didn't remove the other OS feature, A- they would not of had their PSN down for a amount(and in some ares even more), B- not lost a HUGE amount of money by giving people 2 free games out of 5, C-had the government get involved in their work, D- PS3 still got hacked 8 month later anyway.

I know Sony wont learn from this day, but all the crap Sony got during that time......it was justified
PSN:yahyano1

ThrillKillFan
4 weeks ago#9
@yahya_no_1

The game sharing thing was still for FIVE systems up till sometime in 2011. Everything after that is down to two systems. I forget when it changed exactly. But anything up till that date is still the five system rule.

The PS4 game sharing is even worse now though since you are limited to two and it's a whole lot of account juggling to do it. The way I understand it on there is if you want to share it with a second system your account must be a primary on there and the second system your account should be a sub account under a primary. It's very confusing to say the least.

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
4 weeks ago#10
ThrillKillFan posted...
Pengu1n posted...

@Pengu1n

But at same time it's like advertising backwards compatibility and then removing that feature because you obviously can't remove the Blu-Ray capability of your console that you're using as a Trojan Horse to get that shiny new format into as many minds as possible as a 'must have'.

Sure. It's nice because of the scratch resistance. But a must have it is NOT.

Any time a company takes AWAY functions you've paid for, even if you have NO intention of ever using them, consumers should be up in arms over it and demanding something for it. It's like Sony removing digital games from the store that you bought and paid for with or without notice. I paid money for those items, I expect to continue to have access to them.

But most consumers are apparently fine with letting companies run roughshod over them. It's why gaming is where it is with all of the pay to play and other nonsense nowadays.

Sony probably removed it because maybe it was affecting PS2 sales at the time. Don't forget the PS2 was still being manufactured and supported by Sony back then and they wanted people to buy PS2 hardware and accessories and people were just buying PS3's instead.

You didn't pay for the B/C it was an option extra that was already included in the PS3. I could understand if you had to pay for a program to run PS2 games but it was already on there for free. In 99.9% of cases also games that have been removed from the store(s) so long as you own then you can re-download them for free anyway. I have only ever seen PT get removed from the PS4 playstation store and from the internet as a whole but on my xbox360 i can redownload the old ninja turtles arcade game anytime i want even though that was deleted from XBLA years ago. I can also re-download the demo for the original motorstorm on PS3 if i wanted to.

Again people blaming sony when if it wasn't for the hackers it would have still been on there and even though PS2 B/C was removed PS1 B/C remained even on the super slim PS3 model you can still play PS1 games either digitally or from discs. Besides who even cares when the best PS2 games were re-released as HD collections anyway with better graphics, better frame rates, a higher resolution and support for trophies.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Fat PS3 Other OS class action lawsuit....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived