How to Beat Cid Raines!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. How to Beat Cid Raines!

User Info: RainesMan

RainesMan
9 months ago#1
On Christmas Day I saw the dreaded yellow light. A couple of days later, my old PS3 shut down for good. Thankfully I managed to retrieve the FFXIII disc! I am now playing through it again, skipping cut scenes and tutorials, so I can get back to where I was as quickly as possible. One thing that stands out in my memory is how tricky the Cid Raines fight was. I did eventually figure out a strategy, though, which I'm recording here, for my own sake and to hopefully be of some help to whoever else needs it. Bear in mind, however, that I am working from memory, so sorry for any mistakes or omissions. So here goes...

I chose for my Battle Team Lightning, Sahz and Vanille - in that order.

I had the following paradigms in my deck:

Bully (COM, SAB, SYN)
Relentless Assault (COM, RAV, RAV)
Diversity (COM, RAV, MED)
Convalescence (MED, SYN, MED)

Before going into battle, I took Fortisol and Aegisol.

I can't remember the exact order of Raine's actions, but generally speaking my strategy was thus - bearing in mind that I pretty much always use the 'auto' option, following Libra where necessary...

When Raines is guarding/healing, hit him with Bully - this will keep his Stagger gage topped up, whilst hitting him with negative status effects and giving your characters positive status boosts.

When Raines starts fighting, swap to Diversity. For a while I made the mistake of going all out Relentless Assault, swapping to Convalescence when necessary, but this didn't ultimate achieve the desired results - I think perhaps because I was having to frequently swap paradigms, which takes too much time. Most of the time, the one MED in Diversity is enough to heal up any of Raines' hits.

When Raines blasts you with the Seraphic Ray, in fact as soon as you see him preparing to, switch to Convalescence. Seraphic Ray causes a lot of damage and takes away any of your positive status effects, which Convalescence will go some way towards rectifying. When healed up enough, revert to Diversity... or Bully, if Raines is guarding/healing - sorry, I can't remember what comes directly after Seraphic Ray!

In defeating Raines, I don't think I actually used Relentless Assault or did summoning, but these options are there if you need them.

Follow the above and be patient, and you should achieve success!

One final note: when the strategies I was using before weren't working, I spent a couple of hours or so running around the Ark, getting into fights, levelling up in the Crystarium and upgrading weapons, in the hope that this would help things. To be honest, I don't know if this made any difference, once I'd figured out the above strategy, but of course being as strong as you can before a big battle can't be a bad thing.

They key to success, for me, seemed to be Diversity! (rather than swapping between Relentless Assault and Convalescence) There is perhaps a lesson for life there... :)
RainesMan

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
9 months ago#2
This can work, but it also leaves you vulnerable to some sequences that can get you killed without recourse unless you're wearing some rather specific equipment--namely, lots of physical damage reduction or lots of +HP on Lightning. You also need to be very aggressive about curing Deprotect on Lightning, and only slightly less aggressive about curing Deshell.

I prefer strategies that either avoid his transformation entirely, or that deploy a SEN post transformation to reduce the chances of losing to one of his extended attack sequences.
http://etrosgate.com/

RainesMan
9 months ago#3
I've never particularly used SEN. And call me lazy, but 99% of the time I've trusted the 'auto' selection in battles - with strategic use of paradigms & Libra, it hasn't failed me so far! Regarding '+HP on Lightning,' I have tended to choose equipment which primarily boosts HP - & upgraded it.

Thanks for your advice, tiornys, but I think personally I'll stick with the strategy that worked first time round. I think it will actually be an interesting experiment to see if it was just a fluke or a genuinely good strategy! I may return here after hopefully defeating Raines the second time round...
RainesMan

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
9 months ago#4
With upgraded +HP equipment you probably have enough HP to withstand his nastiest attack string as long as you aren't stuck with Deprotect when he does it.

You might experiment with adding RAV/RAV/RAV and COM/COM/RAV to your existing paradigms. RAV/RAV/RAV can be safely used for a round or two after you've been in Bully or Diversity for a while, and COM/COM/RAV is good for more damage when you get him staggered.
http://etrosgate.com/

User Info: mistKNACK

mistKNACK
9 months ago#5
Just keep Poison tagged on him (Vanille) and stay on the defensive (SENs and MEDs). Seriously, you don't even need COMs or RAVs. You will still get a 5-star rating. Easy-peasy.
mistKNACK | Role-playing gamer +1

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
9 months ago#6
You shouldn't even need a Synergist if you're popping Aerosols before the fight.

Instead, I'd throw in Sabs and pop him full of debuffs. Then just nuke the f*** out of him till the chain reaches 500+ and then spam Commandos. Fight will be over in less than 2:00.
The meaning of life is to suffer and be miserable.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

RainesMan
9 months ago#7
I have seen the light! In the course of my replay, I have seen the value of a Sentinel. I am now close to fighting Cid again. I think this time I may change things around a bit, throwing in the Delta Attack paradigm and other Sentinel-y stuff. I shall report back...
RainesMan

User Info: rko808

rko808
9 months ago#8
There's a really cheap way to beat them is to give your party rav/rav/tab and com/com/com paradigms.

Stagger him right away and then just com attack him. You'll keep him in the air and he will die before he even gets a turn or chance to transform.

Obviously for this to work you must have your crystarium full and set up a pair of each paradigm do so you can switch between them right away.

RainesMan
9 months ago#9
Interesting, rko, I might try that. I have, incentially, kind of figured out how to switch paradigms more quickly - it seems if you switch just as your main character is completing their last attack, it happens instantly. Requires precision timing, but seems to work most of the time.

When you say "set up a pair of each paradigm," do you mean 2 identical rav/rav/sabs & 2 identical com/com/coms?
RainesMan

User Info: rko808

rko808
9 months ago#10
RainesMan posted...
Interesting, rko, I might try that. I have, incentially, kind of figured out how to switch paradigms more quickly - it seems if you switch just as your main character is completing their last attack, it happens instantly. Requires precision timing, but seems to work most of the time.

When you say "set up a pair of each paradigm," do you mean 2 identical rav/rav/sabs & 2 identical com/com/coms?

Yeah I mean have two identical ones. The gauge automaticslly fills up every other turn when you switch a paradigm, so it's smart to switch between two identical set ups instead of waiting for the gauge to fill up while keeping the same set up.

My set up for cid is usually

RAV/RAV/RAV
RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/COM
COM/COM/COM

If you're crystarium is completed up to that point, your weapons are upgraded at least a bit, and you throw in some fortisol/aegisol, this technique usually never fails.

Rains was always the most difficult boss for me for someone reason but using this set up he becomes the easiest lol
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. How to Beat Cid Raines!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived