Best current strats for Adamantoise/tortoise Gui/Long Gui farming?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Best current strats for Adamantoise/tortoise Gui/Long Gui farming?

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
1 month ago#1
Hey guys, back again on the FF13 trilogy. I'm currently about to fight Bart II and I'm trying to plan my gil-spending to upgrade my gear in a desirable and efficient way for endgame farming.

Can I ask the OG's (tiornys, destrian, lewd, etc.) or anybody else who knows: What are the latest developments on that aspect?

I'm sure there are Youtube videos, no need to do a full breakdown of the strats if someone had the foresight to record the fights.

I haven't touched the game since 2014 and I have never actually defeated a Long Gui. The last strat I used against Toises was the Sazh Blitz strat.

Please let me know the most recent killer strats, much appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT: tiornys, I've dug up this reddit post from you of about 8 months ago, recommending a certain setup for Long Gui and hard endgame fights.

For specifically Long Gui and Vercingetorix, you mostly want Magic-focused weapons, especially on your allies. You want your AI characters using Magic against Long Gui so they don't run up to his legs, and you want to use Magic against Vercingetorix because he's good at dodging physical attacks. There's some merit in having a STR-focused leader against Long Gui to exploit certain abilities, but the best ability to exploit against Long Gui (Death--for damage) is Magic-based.
Therefore I would recommend Edged Carbine, Feymark, Deneb Duellers or Rigels, Hawkeye, Belladonna Wand, and Taming Pole for your weapons.
For accessories, you'll want Earth resistance against Long Gui and Magic resistance against Vercingetorix: maxed Gaian Rings and maxed Witch's Bracelets. More +Magic in the form of Weirding Glyphs is also good in both fights.
Genji Gloves can be good against Vercingetorix, depending on your strategy. A Genji Glove is necessary to exploit full-ATB skills like Death or Highwind properly against Long Gui.
Maxed General's Belts have some merit against Vercingetorix, but his strongest resistable attack (Wind Shear) is Magic-based. Don't go overboard with the damage reduction because both fights feature super-attacks that ignore it (Roar and Ultima from Long Gui, Wicked Whirl from Vercy).

I assume this advice still goes today, but how about a 'Toise strat? Is there a certain setup I should spend my cash on first to help the grind, BEFORE actually setting up for Long Gui?
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
1 month ago#2
This contains the foundation of top tier 'toise farming strats: https://web.archive.org/web/20160222125729/http://etrosgate.com/xiii/farming/oretoises

(sorry about the archive site; the original site is no longer active)

Here's for Long Gui:

https://youtu.be/wdgfKCmyPHM

Strat writeup here: https://web.archive.org/web/20170226230526/http://etrosgate.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=114&sid=595a52d68b315f8b3af792fc5c6342a0

-GhosT-
1 month ago#3
Thanks tiornys!

So I guess nothing much has changed for 'toises. Sad to hear Etro's Gate is down. That website was a gold mine. At least it's still reachable with the wayback machine, haha!

At least, can I assume I can't really go wrong by getting Pleiades II* and some STR-boosting accessories and just pulverize my way to the endgame before I go back and setup properly for some fast farming?

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
1 month ago#4
-GhosT- posted...
At least, can I assume I can't really go wrong by getting Pleiades II* and some STR-boosting accessories and just pulverize my way to the endgame before I go back and setup properly for some fast farming?

That should be fine, although if you're planning on extravagant amounts of farming (e.g. maxing out all 48 weapons) you should look into Sacrifice farming at the start of ch. 13. It's not really worthwhile for typical postgame play or even Treasure Hunter though.

-GhosT-
1 month ago#5
I don't plan on doing anything past killing a Long Gui and finishing all hunts / superbosses. Last time I played through, I setup for Sacrifice Farming and spent a few hours doing it, but I don't think it's even remotely necessary to acquire that much gil to actually gear up for Long Gui. I'll skip it this time, and if I'm short a few 100k's, I'll just smash a few more 'Toises.

Not exactly doing a completionist run, just a "defeat all challenges" run of the FF13 trilogy. I'm still worried FF13-2's Valdofr Lvl 99 is going to be impossible to beat, since I'm playing on PC and can barely hit 25fps most of the time due to that trash of a port, and me playing on an AMD video card when the game works a little better on Nvidia cards... Good times ahead /s
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Best current strats for Adamantoise/tortoise Gui/Long Gui farming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived