Is it true this best version comparing to SNES?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. Is it true this best version comparing to SNES?

User Info: brianrpgfan

brianrpgfan
6 years ago#1
I beaten Final Fantasy vi on my Snes and was wondering if I should play again on a portable system because of new features and better translation? Actually what I heard is the gba version is better than Snes, possibly the best version, why?

User Info: ReyJavikVI

ReyJavikVI
6 years ago#2
The GBA version has a new, more accurate translation. However, you might find that the older one appeals more to you because of nostalgia. It has bonus dungeons after the game and a couple of new Espers and spells. The fonts and menus look a little bit prettier.

On the downside, the music and sound took a hit, though how much it suffered depends on the hearer, and apparently with headphones it's not so bad. The graphics are a bit lighter, and apparently there's lag in some places, though I never noticed it.

It's up to you. I personally like the GBA version best, because it just has more stuff and all the text looks prettier. But it's up to you.
Qui tengwalye quentele sina, haryeatye olya lume

User Info: Dark_Einherjar

Dark_Einherjar
6 years ago#3
I really miss some of Kefka's old lines, like "You son of a submariner!" and "I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE [...] HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE YOU!!!"... :(

Most of translation got improvements, although, for kids' sake, some shouldn't have gotten any "improvement" at all, like that couple doing... huh... "inappropriate things" hidden in the eastern trees of South Figaro in the WoR. <_<

Celes' introduction was changed so that she doesn't take a beating from the imperial guard anymore. While I understand why that was done, that cutscene makes much less sense now... personally, I didn't like it.

The music... unlike FFIVA and FFVA, whose music got improved, FFVIA's music sounded really bad for me.

However, the worst thing of FFVIA, IMO, is that none of the countless bugs and glitches from the older versions were properly addressed, except a few of them. In fact, it GAINED more bugs!

Now, for the major improvements:

-The infamous Vanish/Doom bug is gone forever: while the invisible status is still glitched (you can Arise a living, invisible character to full health, for example), it no longer overrides instant death immunity;

-Evasion bug was also fixed. Now physical Evasion actually DOES something, and MBlock is no longer godly;

-New dungeons, Espers, equipment and spells and, most importantly, you can save after finishing the game. Because of that, that Ultima Weapon and Ragnarok you can steal from Lady & Rest (last round of the final battle before facing Kefka) can finally be put to good use, and you can finally have both the sword AND Esper Ragnarok. That also means you can have as many copies of Ragnarok and UW as you want.

User Info: Starloving_Fool

Starloving_Fool
6 years ago#4
Hey, it's Rey... damn... been a long time since I've seen you. O.o

Now onto the topic:

1. I do not approve of the Celes introduction scene as it has been presented in this game as opposed to the SNES version. I do not feel like real world BS (the reason why it wasn't programmed in was because of fear of public backlash against women being tied up and beaten due to some criminal acts) should ever impact a fantasy game - moreover, a game that originally *had* the scene that no one ever complained about before.

I mean, I can kinda understand why - they are a business and want to sell as much as possible, but still... people in a group are stupid. =|

2. Yes, the translation is more accurate and more literal... Although, other than the line spoken of in my sig and maybe a couple of others (Son of a Submariner's loss doesn't bother me as Kefka is nowhere near an ocean/lake/what have you and no one knows anything about submarines, judging from the lack of one found in the game - even if in the background), the new dialogue doesn't bother me nearly as much as many others.

3. I never found a problem with the music; then again, I didn't really listen to it at length and I've been known not to hear problems with music, spoken dialogue, etc that everyone else seems to hear *shrug*

4. Don't forget that you can turn the Ragnarok swords you can steal in the final battle into the most awesome weapon in the game - Lightbringer (or the old Illumina) n_n

5. This version also has the Dragon's Den post-game dungeon and a Soul Shrine (where you can win more Master Scrolls and other neato one-time items).
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"

User Info: MeepleLardicle

MeepleLardicle
6 years ago#5
TO be honest, the most significant change this game has, ignoring the bonus content, is the addition of "Auto Dash" outside of battle. Its nice to be able to move quickly WITHOUT the requirement of sprint shoes.

And I can attest that no, Headphones do not make up for the flaws of the GBA sound. Its just flat out worse quality. Its not a speaker thing, its a porting thing. Just compare these two versions of "Kids Run Through the City Corner":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZcVbJtGadQ <- SNES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByqukWBvbN8&feature=related <- GBA

Headphones aint changing the difference in quality; the songs clearly SOUND different.

The music... unlike FFIVA and FFVA, whose music got improved, FFVIA's music sounded really bad for me.

While I'll give you FF5a having superior music, FF4a was clearly notably worse; it wasn't as big a drop as FF6's, but it was definitely worse on general effects, and what not.
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!

User Info: Dark_Einherjar

Dark_Einherjar
6 years ago#6
I didn't pay too much attention to the Auto-Dash feature... but that's probably because most of my FFVI playthrough was on the PS1, and, IIRC, the PS1 release had this as well, except it was not automatic - we had to hold the O button to sprint.

It's still a great improvement from SNES, though.

User Info: Sheoldred

Sheoldred
6 years ago#7
The music problem can be alleviated with the Sound Restoration patch, so that helps. It doesn't make the songs sound -exactly- like the SNES version, but it's definitely closer and improved compared to the innate GBA music pieces, which are almost arrangements in some cases rather than pieces trying to stay close to the SNES music's instrumentation. Too bad there's nothing to get the sound effects for spells, attacks and such to sound exactly like the SNES version, but that's probably just really getting picky from most people's perspectives, so I doubt there will ever be such a thing.

I'm working on a patch to restore a few of the old lines, a couple attack names, and a decent amount of enemy names I liked to make the game a bit more definitive for me. I figured I'd do it since it didn't really take much time to do most of the changes.

As far as the son of a submariner line, Slattery's replacement ("son of a sandworm") actually seems a lot more fitting to me given their desert location (frankly I'm surprised Woolsey didn't come up with it instead of submariner), but I can understand how people would still desire the old line.

I can't really say this is the definitive version, though. A real definitive version would've had music and sound effects identical to the SNES version, SNES or GBA palette brightness choices rather than just the bright as hell GBA ones, and the option to use the old SNES translation hidden away somewhere (that would've taken some work given the resized text boxes though).

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
6 years ago#8
^^^^
I like this version, but I agree that it could have been so much better. It is obvious that enough time was NOT put into it... So I guess this is where you come in to fix some of it. =P
This game has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen.

User Info: brianrpgfan

brianrpgfan
6 years ago#9
" I do not approve of the Celes introduction scene as it has been presented in this game as opposed to the SNES version. I do not feel like real world BS (the reason why it wasn't programmed in was because of fear of public backlash against women being tied up and beaten due to some criminal acts) should ever impact a fantasy game - moreover, a game that originally *had* the scene that no one ever complained about before." Oh I definitely agree FF Vi is a fantasy, so it really shouldn't matter how a fictitious female character like Celes is actually protrayed!

No one complained before about that particular scene on the original SNES version at least to my knowledge, so I just don't get why this happened, maybe it's because this gba version was published by Nintendo not SE! In any case really suck that Nintendo did some editing to this classic old school jrpg!

I suppose if you are a die hard or hardcore Final Fantasy VI fan, you probably still prefer original with no editing and keep original SNES music quality intact not degraded ( in my opinion of course)! So far after reading posting from others, my impression is this version definitely not qualify to be the best version unless there was no editing and a real SNES port with extra new features!

User Info: KarateJons

KarateJons
6 years ago#10
<< AUTO-SPOILER >>

They censored the Celes introduction in the GBA version. In the SNES version she was apparently slapped by an Imperial officer, but the producers thought a depiction of mysogny would be too much to bear for the audience of GBA games.

Also the SNES version has exploits and bugs such as Vanish/Doom/X'Zone, allowing you to level up less than you would have to if you played it straight without exploiting glitches and bugs.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. Is it true this best version comparing to SNES?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived