Staying power? Longevity? You bet!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. Staying power? Longevity? You bet!

User Info: rjames80

rjames80
5 months ago#1
Wow, over 5 years and D3 is still going strong! Who would've thought? I know many people throughout the years have been very vocal about how D3 wouldn't last long, but here we are still! The game is still active, it's still receiving updates, and people are still talking about it. That's especially impressive when you consider how D3 isn't an MMO, F2P, or any kind of game that uses a business model that continuously generates revenue. What do you guys think it is about D3 that has kept it going this long?

For me, it's definitely the game play. D3 has the best combat in the business, by far. I can choose any class, any build and just have fun destroying demons and finding loot. I can't say the same for any of the current competition. Marvel Heroes has been fun over the years, but it falls short of the satisfaction that D3 provides. Grim Dawn was good for a couple of play throughs, but it grew tedious rather quickly. I tried PoE when it came out and it was a mess. I heard it's improved a lot since, but you know what they say about the importance of making a good first impression. There are also some other games that have come and gone over the years without making much of an impact, like Torchlight 2. Anyhow, D3 is the game that I keep coming back to over the years and with the Necromancer scheduled to come out this year, I don't think that will be changing anytime soon. Here's to many more years of D3 enjoyment!

Btw, yesterday was D3's 5 year anniversary, but I forgot or I would have made this topic yesterday. Happy birthday D3!
Do not, my friends, become addicted to smooth jams! They will take hold of you, and you will regret their absence!
http://brandonbird.com/smooth_warrior.html

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
5 months ago#2
Wow, yeah, the 5th anniversary came up on us in a hurry!

I'll agree with the excellent gameplay being the primary factor of longevity. It also helps that seasons come around which allow folks a fresh start so that they don't get bored with running GR 70+ all the time; it's exciting to be vulnerable and underpowered.

I played Marvel Heroes a little bit when it came out, and it was pretty fun, but it never really hooked me the way Diablo 3 did. PoE just bored me, and I thought certain design decisions were idiotic; I gave up at the beginning of act 2 on normal. Didn't try any of the other ARPGs that have been released since.

It's pretty telling that D3 is the only ARPG that consistently cracks the top 10 message boards on this site. Clearly the other games aren't worth discussing.

User Info: Newtypez

Newtypez
5 months ago#3
I agree with you on all points TC and hi btw. I can't wait for the necromancer.
D3:ROS PC > GTA:O > RDR2
(message deleted)

User Info: DotA_GC

DotA_GC
5 months ago#5
<3 this game
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: MetalMilita#1420 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Can't miss stream: I will liquid cool your bible with a stream of piss.

User Info: CyberJ

CyberJ
5 months ago#6
I agree. D3 is a quick fix sort of game for me. I can log in, play a rift or two or maybe run an act's worth of bounties and I'm good. With my limited time to play games right now it just scratches that itch.

I know a lot of players are disappointed that D3 isn't as "deep" as some other games. But for me I like that I don't need spreadsheets with hundreds of rows just to figure out what the best thing to do with that next skill point I earn. I also really like not needing to create a whole new character just because I want to try out a different set of skills or gear. Or find some magic widget that lets me respec.

D3 is most definitely the only game to come out in the last 5 years that I still play on a daily basis. Even my favorite genre (4x strategy) can't say that.

User Info: Mad_Cow46

Mad_Cow46
5 months ago#7
Oh my god yesterday was the 15th!!
It's a new day. Make sure to take advantage of that.

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
5 months ago#8
CyberJ posted...
I agree. D3 is a quick fix sort of game for me. I can log in, play a rift or two or maybe run an act's worth of bounties and I'm good. With my limited time to play games right now it just scratches that itch.

I know a lot of players are disappointed that D3 isn't as "deep" as some other games. But for me I like that I don't need spreadsheets with hundreds of rows just to figure out what the best thing to do with that next skill point I earn. I also really like not needing to create a whole new character just because I want to try out a different set of skills or gear. Or find some magic widget that lets me respec.

The pick up and play aspect and anti-frustration features really are a good thing, despite what some naysayers would claim. I know there are people who can sit around all day and play games; catering to people like that is a fool's errand, because 1) those people tend to have less money and 2) there are far more people with lives outside of gaming. I have a job and I want to do things other than beat my head against a wall for hours to try to stay current. Plus I want to be able to play multiple games. Because of all that, bite sized content is great for me, and it shows that Blizzard understands its audience by giving that to us in games like WoW and Diablo (and introducing other games that have that from the get-go, like Overwatch and Hearthstone)

User Info: rjames80

rjames80
5 months ago#9
Newtypez posted...
I agree with you on all points TC and hi btw. I can't wait for the necromancer.

How's it going Hojo? Long time no see!
Do not, my friends, become addicted to smooth jams! They will take hold of you, and you will regret their absence!
http://brandonbird.com/smooth_warrior.html

User Info: Mad_Cow46

Mad_Cow46
5 months ago#10
Oh and hey Hojo
It's a new day. Make sure to take advantage of that.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. Staying power? Longevity? You bet!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived